Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2023, 12:28 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Not sure whether someone mentioned this before. If you keep Pentax or you are coming from Pentax, keep in mind that some brands rotate in the other direction. Give me a Nikon lens and I have trouble attaching the rear lid, mounting the lens to the camera or turning the focus ring in the right direction. Some third party lenses are also designed with Nikon direction in mind. This was worse during manual focus days, but still is an issue for me.
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm with ya, sometimes switching to a Nikon, which is awkward for me. I might/might not remember to turn the lens the correct way, but ALWAYS get the lens cap wrong on the first try.

The lens release is on the "wrong" side on a Nikon as well, so no one-handed lens changes like on a Pentax.
I have to agree here. After a year with NIkon I still have to try both directions when I have to put or release a rear cap. About the focusing rotation, you can configure any direction, so no problem here.
But for me the most annoying is to change lenses.
On Pentax, you can hold the camera the 'normal way' while you push the release button with your right hand (I find it quite easy to do), and your left hand just simply have to handle with the lens. After putting the lens on the camera, you are ready, your right hand doesn't need to hold the camera in any strange way or change it's position.
But on Nikon, you can't do it, you can't hold your camera and press the release button with the same hand because it's on 'other' side. My last 'technique' is to use my left thumb to push the release button and, while I'm pushing, I turn the lens. This way I'm holding the camera with my right hand 'the right way'. I'm not sure if it's the right way or how is supposed to work.

02-20-2023, 07:16 AM   #77
Pentaxian

It's such a simple thing but both Canon and Nikon have the lens release button in the wrong place , where it can't be easily reached by the right hand that's already holding the camera. It's a very poor choice of position for performing lens changes and neither company has rectified it on their new mirrorless mounts either.

It's something I forgot to check before buying my Lumix S5 so I was very glad that the button was in the right place, just like Pentax, Fujifilm and my old Minolta SRT film cameras.
02-20-2023, 09:07 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On the Canon they have multi function buttons located there so you can assign different options, I find that more useful than having the lens release button there.
02-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
On the Canon they have multi function buttons located there so you can assign different options,
That is what I also like with Nikon with my right hand there is a second function found there.

I don't mind taking off the camera from the lens with the right hand this allows me to shift through and place the lens into bags or cases with my dominate hand.
I also like placing my extra lenses to the right of me and even works better when in a vehicle as the passenger seat is right of me If I am to grab anything with my right hand there is no need to transfer the camera to my left hand

02-20-2023, 05:58 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never minded the Nikon release location when I was shooting Nikon. I hated the original FD mount (not nFD). The breech lock was annoying.
02-20-2023, 06:09 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
That is what I also like with Nikon with my right hand there is a second function found there.

I don't mind taking off the camera from the lens with the right hand this allows me to shift through and place the lens into bags or cases with my dominate hand.
I also like placing my extra lenses to the right of me and even works better when in a vehicle as the passenger seat is right of me If I am to grab anything with my right hand there is no need to transfer the camera to my left hand
Yeah, I hit the "second function" a LOT
02-22-2023, 07:10 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
If I am to grab anything with my right hand there is no need to transfer the camera to my left hand
I genuinely can't picture this. If I'm riding on the passenger seat, the body is on the right hand, lenses also to my right, and I use the left hand to rummage. If I want to rummage with the right hand, I have to put the camera down (or hold it with the left hand) regardless of the release button's position...