Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2023, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P&S Competition #180 in the Pentax Compact Cameras forum, all brands are welcome.

We've been doing Monthly Point & Shoot Competition in the Pentax Compact Cameras forum, and I've just posted the new one: Point & Shoot Competition #180 - Dark or Low-Key

This is a fun-oriented contest for the users of digital and film P&S, small sensor cameras and cellphones, and all brands are welcome! If you're interested, please visit the thread to enter!

03-06-2023, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is a lot of fun. I also wonder how many people on the forum actually use a small sensor cameras frequently enough for artistic purposes, and think perhaps that limits participation as much as anything. In any case the more the merrier!
03-21-2023, 12:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think it is a lot of fun. I also wonder how many people on the forum actually use a small sensor cameras frequently enough for artistic purposes, and think perhaps that limits participation as much as anything. In any case the more the merrier!
Late last year I acquired an Olympus TG-6 and it revitalised my photography that had got a bit stale. I haven't attempted any low light photography with it yet, as I know it has a small sensor, and higher noise than my K-70 that tends to get used for such situations, hence I haven't entered the current competition, but I have taken a lot of photos with it.
Question: Competition doesn't say anything about any limitations on post-processing. I shoot everything RAW on the TG-6 so that I can extract the maximum possible from the small sensor. If there are no limits on post-processing, I can certainly create some high-key images from what I've taken with it, but is this allowed?
03-21-2023, 05:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Late last year I acquired an Olympus TG-6 and it revitalised my photography that had got a bit stale. I haven't attempted any low light photography with it yet, as I know it has a small sensor, and higher noise than my K-70 that tends to get used for such situations, hence I haven't entered the current competition, but I have taken a lot of photos with it.
Question: Competition doesn't say anything about any limitations on post-processing. I shoot everything RAW on the TG-6 so that I can extract the maximum possible from the small sensor. If there are no limits on post-processing, I can certainly create some high-key images from what I've taken with it, but is this allowed?
I’m unaware of any post processing restrictions. My typical use of smaller sensor cameras is to shoot raw plus jpg, use jogs for a quick post to friends or forums, then raws get processed as needed. DXO is frequently used on my shots.

03-21-2023, 10:36 AM   #5
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Kiwizinho, there is no limits on post processing as there's nothing in the rules to ban or restrict PP.

If somebody creates a nice picture with or without PP for everybody to enjoy, why not? To me, P&S competition is a lighthearted thing that everybody can enter just for fun. I happen to be the judge for this month, but I believe most participants agree with me about this lighthearted aspect of the competition.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I know what you mean.

I usually don't go to dark places to take dark pictures though sometimes I do, most of the time I just happen to be in dark places and use whichever camera I have with me, which tends to be my Q7 and a cellphone rather than KP or K-3III. The noise is not bad, honestly, and it rarely makes or breaks it anyway. And I have shot many terrible pictures in dark places with my DSLRs too, so apparently noise is not everything.

Anyway, if you have something with or without PP, please consider to enter the competition, you still have 11 days!

Oh, and I almost always shoot RAW.
03-23-2023, 02:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've put a couple of images in. Now that I've found where the P&S competitions live, I've gone back and had a look at some past ones, and I can see people do get creative with post-processing.
I also noticed a comment about not many people entering. I think where these contests live on PF might make them hard to find, as they don't seem to be under contests and challenges off the home page menu.
I think it's a great challenge, as the constraints tend to force you to think about photography rather than gear, and it's not too serious either.
I often have a go in the weekly caption challenge, but only found out about this P&S one recently because it's not where I would have thought to look in the forums, and it's a monthly challenge so doesn't often feature on the home page.
03-25-2023, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for entering, Kiwizinho.

I only advertised to Canon, Nikon, Sony and Other Camera Brands forum, but what I should have done is to advertise to Pentax Q forum, Film SLR and Compact Film Cameras forum, and probably Mini Challenges thread.