Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2024, 09:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Window Shopping for old Nikons (Found MBP Europe)

Been window shopping.

If you were going for an older Nikon (D200, D90 etc) to have a play with for a bit of fun and with CCD sensors what would be decent and still useable? Would probably look to use anything like this with a 35mm prime as something to go alongside the K3-II and the EM5.

I have been looking through and making a list of all the cameras I sold in the past like the K5 and Olympus EPL5 that I would quite like back again. This is dangerous. I live in Hungary and the used market is expensive and there is not too much usually.

02-23-2024, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As I recall, the D200 and the Pentax K10 had basically the same chip…

You wouldn’t even need new lenses

That said, the D200 was a stout machine…

-Eric
02-23-2024, 12:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Info on which models had what sensor: https://nikonrumors.com/2015/12/16/list-of-all-nikon-dslr-cameras-and-their-...gner.aspx/amp/

D60 and similar should have similar iq to d200. D200 will support more features and works with screwdrive not just in lens motor lenses.

D200 VS D60 Image Quality: Nikon DX SLR (D40-D90, D3000-D7500) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-23-2024, 02:00 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

By all means choose a Nikon if that's what you fancy, but I'd heartily recommend the excellent Pentax K10D or its cousin - my favourite camera - the Samsung GX-10. As @TwoUptons points out, you'll be able to share most lenses with your K-3II...

02-23-2024, 02:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
By all means choose a Nikon if that's what you fancy, but I'd heartily recommend the excellent Pentax K10D or its cousin - my favourite camera - the Samsung GX-10. As @TwoUptons points out, you'll be able to share most lenses with your K-3II...
Is there something about the GX-10 that differs from the k10D?

I understand the appeal as Nikon has lenses Pentax doesn’t (and vice versa) so it might be fun to play with. But the k10D is a more sensible choice.
02-23-2024, 02:28 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is there something about the GX-10 that differs from the k10D?
Not much, frankly... the menus look nicer (IMHO), the buttons down the side of the screen are bigger, the AF and EV compensation buttons aren't inset (which I prefer), and the D-pad feels nicer to me and is shaped such that the position of up/down/left/right is more obvious without having to look at it. Oh, and the leatherette covering doesn't seem to pick up dirt, sweat and dead skin so easily I slightly prefer the visual styling of the GX-10 too, although that's obviously not relevant functionally. I own the K10D and three GX-10s, and like both Pentax and Samsung's versions of the camera... I just have a slight preference for the GX-10.

Before I jumped on the Pentax bus, I owned a Nikon D40X... my first DSLR. I really liked it. Pentamirror viewfinder and no weather resistance, but otherwise a very decent camera. I seem to remember it was more compact than the K10D (which, let's face it, is pretty chunky ), and that might be a consideration...
02-23-2024, 02:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nikon D90 has CMOS sensor, not CCD.. If that´s your fancy you have to get something older. I think it was the same sensor K-x had.. which had great colors. So I really don´t get the point of the CCD cult but that´s just me I guess.

My 2c

02-23-2024, 02:56 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
So I really don´t get the point of the CCD cult but that´s just me I guess.
I think there are different levels of appreciation. I don't consider myself a follower of any "CCD cult" (if such exists), but I do like the way the 10MP sensor in the K10D / GX-10 captures and responds to light at lower ISO levels (up to 400). It's not about colour rendering per se (aside from the in-camera profiles, which are nice if you shoot straight-from-camera JPEG), as that can be normalised or mapped according to personal taste through DCP or ICC profiling... but there's something about the raw files these cameras produce that I really like, and I say that as a fan of later CMOS-sensor models such as the excellent K-5 and K-3 series (the K-3 is my main general-purpose camera). I can't put my finger on it exactly... I just know that I like working with them. At base ISO especially, to me they're glorious. Plus, for whatever reason (perhaps the relative simplicity and lack of clutter, at least in part?) I enjoy shooting the GX-10 more than any of my other digital ILCs...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-23-2024 at 04:09 PM.
02-24-2024, 12:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi, this is an exercise in having a bit of fun with something different. Never had a Nikon DSLR but have a F70 I got many years ago. With film I have Pentax and Nikon and like the big differences between a Spotmatic F and the F70 for example. I just like cameras as things as well. But they got good enough for me and my purposes 10 plus years ago.

I do like what the 10MP and lower MP snesors especially with the CCD tech do and I do find the results from the K200D to be pretty good still and have a different feel to those from the K3. Looking at the Nikon D200/300/D90 etc as with a basic prime lens it isn't really that expensive and it is still capable kit really.

I got out of the habit of photography during COVID and looking to get back into it but feeling the need for being able to change about and use different things for some variety and just to bring fun back to it. I actually like having some level of limitations with equipment such as fixed focal lengths etc.

I think it has to be silly and fun for me rather than trying to be artistic as my best pictures came out of messing about with different stuff and not overthinking. But that was before the last few years which have been difficult and so this is an area to try and get back some mental health and yes, that sense of fun.

(The K3-ii with the DA* zooms and the K200 are rather good though, the M 4/3 Olympus is very good with prime lenses as well).
02-24-2024, 07:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

D300 isn’t ccd either btw. It’s a nice camera, I knew a pro who was still using it for portrait with last year.
02-24-2024, 09:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get a D80, it has built in motor and uses SD cards.