Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon user question

Hello everyone. First of all. NO I'm not switching to Canon. But a friend of mine says he has a lot of Canon lenses for the film days. He is looking for a Canon body that does both digital and film that is compatable with the lenses he has. Sorry I don't know what mount the lenses have or really anything else. Is there such a Canon body out there on the market?

Thanks
Jim

06-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Hello everyone. First of all. NO I'm not switching to Canon. But a friend of mine says he has a lot of Canon lenses for the film days. He is looking for a Canon body that does both digital and film that is compatable with the lenses he has. Sorry I don't know what mount the lenses have or really anything else. Is there such a Canon body out there on the market?

Thanks
Jim
Jim you may want to try posting this on a site like photozo.
06-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks I will do that.

Jim
06-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

huh? a camera that does both film and digital? that doesn't exist.
canon used to use an FD mount in the 80s which is incompatible with the current EF mount. however every EF lens should work on every EF camera, but new EF-S lenses do not work on FF bodies.

06-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

canon had two mounts, FD and EF

FD being the older one, which was literarly ditched by Canon in favor of the EF mount.

All current Canon cameras are EF, and FD lenses will not fit, however, there is somewhat of a market out there for them...

If your friend has FD lenses and wants to go digital, suggest to him to try and e-bay the whole lot and start fresh.

If however, he has EF lenses, they will all work with modern Canon digital cameras.
06-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Thanks
Jim
What do you mean by "a Canon body that does both digital and film "?

I assume you are looking for a film body and a DSLR that can each use the lenses?

If the lenses your friend has are EF lenses, then he could use any EOS film body and any Canon DSLR.

If his lenses are the older FD mount, then he is basically out of luck, and can only use the lenses with and older FD mount film body. There is an adaptor for F to EF mount, but it has allot of restrictions, and most people do not use it.

Are his lenses autofocus? If so, then he has EF lenses.

-------------------

Gooshin beat me.

Last edited by KungPOW; 06-11-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Gooshin was faster
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for their input I greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry I don't know what lens mount he has or even how old his film body is that he uses.

KungPOW, he is looking for one body that he can shoot both digital and film with.

Thanks
Jim

06-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for their input I greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry I don't know what lens mount he has or even how old his film body is that he uses.

KungPOW, he is looking for one body that he can shoot both digital and film with.

Thanks
Jim
there is no such body

unless... you get a medium format camera with a digital back... but thats alot of money.
06-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gooshin, I knew I had never heard of such a body. But I wanted to make sure before I told him wrong.

Thank you all very much for your help on this.
Jim
06-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
there is no such body

unless... you get a medium format camera with a digital back... but thats alot of money.
And it'd be pretty tough to find a Canon one.

The good news is that even the higher end Canon film cameras are pretty affordable these days, so you can get a pretty sweet body for cheap. As has been pointed out, if you want to use FD mount lenses stick with an FD mount camera because the adapter isn't very usable.

Side note on the EF/FD switchover: from what I gather Canon wanted to make a clean cut and create a new mount that would handle the future needs rather than keep trying to retrofit things onto the old one. Look at Nikon and the damn compatibility matrix you have to consult whenever putting a lens on a body (oh yeah, this bangs the mirror, oh yeah, this one won't autofocus, that one won't meter...)-- meanwhile, any EF (or E) lens built fits, meters, and autofocuses (except for the E ones which from what I recall are the tilt-shift lenses) on every EF body. 22 years and no incompatibilities. Yeah, it pissed off a LOT of users when they did it, but in the long run they ended up ahead...
06-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
on a side note, not canon but leica
Leica Digital Modul R for the R8 & R9: Digital Photography Review
06-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Yeah, it pissed off a LOT of users when they did it, but in the long run they ended up ahead...
I know it certainly did. My brother-in-law (a fairly big spending photography amateur, currently has a Nikon D3 if he hasn't upgraded to D3x) had a lot of fine FD glass and the change made him go Nikon.

I believe the EF mount came around 1987 ( when I got the first model supporting it, an EOS 650), so if his gear is from within two decades, the glass might work just fine today.

Canon EF lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
06-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My friend said the camera he had a the Canon AE-1. From what I can find it had the FD mount. So I think he is going to have to buy new glass to go digital.

Thanks
Jim
06-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
emr

Too bad. It seems FD mount glass can't be used much today except on older film bodies. Lots of fine old FD lenses available for that reason.
06-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I know it certainly did. My brother-in-law (a fairly big spending photography amateur, currently has a Nikon D3 if he hasn't upgraded to D3x) had a lot of fine FD glass and the change made him go Nikon.

I believe the EF mount came around 1987 ( when I got the first model supporting it, an EOS 650), so if his gear is from within two decades, the glass might work just fine today.

Canon EF lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I actually have the Canon adapter to use and FD 50mm Macro on the EOS 10s I have. I later got a EF 50mm macro. I even have a Tamron adaptall 2 mount for Canon EF. I need to eventually get around to selling my Canon Macro stuff including the ring light and bellows. Ironically, this is the only AF film camera I have and the only AF lens I have is the 50mm EF macor.

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Too bad. It seems FD mount glass can't be used much today except on older film bodies. Lots of fine old FD lenses available for that reason.
Canon made some lens specific adapters to use FD on EF. The trouble was that they were lens specific and they didn't seem to make many of them. As I mentioned I have one for the 50mm macro FD lens.