Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aside from the possibility of user error, could it be FF/BF issue on the camera. I personally don't know if the FF/BF correction can be done on the Canon camera. Just a thought..

07-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #32
Banned

I don't see the photo.
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Her kit lens looks exactly like that, but it does not have the image stabililator switch. Her zoom does have it, though.

vmax84
so is she having similar problems with both lenses, or just when using the non IS 18-55?
07-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster

07-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I'm making mistakes uploading this stuff since I'm in a hurry (have to help get dinner going), but above diet coke is Canon shot, 800 ISO, 250 shutter speed, hand held.

Actually looks like one of the better pics.

See if I can get the Pentax pic up.

vmax84
07-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #36
Damn Brit

I'm going for a walk.
07-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #37
Banned

what am I supposed to be seeing? it looks well exposed, focus is good. I wonder why the camera was set to 800 ISO but it still looks good. a little soft but that is to be expected from a kit lens. for what it is, this photo looks great, and it even has rather good bokeh. im confused. I don't imagine your K100D and 18-55 DA would give amazingly better results concerning sharpness. colour rendition maybe, but that's a separate issue.

07-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so is she having similar problems with both lenses, or just when using the non IS 18-55?
Both lens will give blurry, or maybe I should say, slightly blurry pics more often than not.

I'm gonna dig up another couple shots from the Canon that SHOULD have been slam dunks on being clear shots.

vmax84
07-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the diet coke can off my Pentax. ISO 800, 250 shutter speed, hand held with auto shake on.

07-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #40
Banned

the difference in sharpness is evident. but hand held at close focus, I am questioning whether this is in fact due to the lack of IS with her kit lens. its no secret (except to canon fanboys) that the optics of the 18-55 DA is superior to both the canon and nikon 18-55, so you should expect to see a difference. but all I am seeing so far is that you can get sharper photos handheld with SR than she can get without IS. I see nothing thus far to warrant any issues with her system.

were both of these photos shot in RAW or Jpeg? the Jpeg capture and conversion of these cameras are radically different and can account for some softness from either brand. this is also dependent on camera settings.
07-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I need to explore the possiblity that I'm (we) are shooting the Canon and too slow a shutter speed.

I routinely shoot my K100D at slow shutter speeds, but can get away with it with the shake reduction in the body.

Being her comparable kit lens on her Canon doesn't have any type of shake reduction (just assumed it "magically" had something), I"m wondering if those shots on the Canon need a higher shutter speed.

I am starting to feel either like a dumb a$$ with this whole thread, or simply lost.

vmax84
07-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the difference in sharpness is evident. but hand held at close focus, I am questioning whether this is in fact due to the lack of IS with her kit lens. its no secret (except to canon fanboys) that the optics of the 18-55 DA is superior to both the canon and nikon 18-55, so you should expect to see a difference. but all I am seeing so far is that you can get sharper photos handheld with SR than she can get without IS. I see nothing thus far to warrant any issues with her system.

were both of these photos shot in RAW or Jpeg? the Jpeg capture and conversion of these cameras are radically different and can account for some softness from either brand. this is also dependent on camera settings.

These are shot in Jpeg.

vmax84
07-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #43
Damn Brit

At those speeds, image stabilisation on either camera isn't going to come into it.
07-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I think I need to explore the possiblity that I'm (we) are shooting the Canon and too slow a shutter speed.

I routinely shoot my K100D at slow shutter speeds, but can get away with it with the shake reduction in the body.

Being her comparable kit lens on her Canon doesn't have any type of shake reduction (just assumed it "magically" had something), I"m wondering if those shots on the Canon need a higher shutter speed.

I am starting to feel either like a dumb a$$ with this whole thread, or simply lost.

vmax84

but at ISO 800, outdoors the shutterspeed should be plenty fast, and looking at the EXIF data it is. I see no problems with her camera. and if what I see in the two comparison photos are the extent of the 'blurriness' then all I can say is... thats what you get with the non IS 18-55mm. the newer IS is superior not just due to IS but it was also updated optically. the simple truth is that your 18-55 is a better performer than her 18-55. and you have an advantage with SR that she doesn't share unless she mounts her other lens.
07-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I do have to apoligize on how this thread went. I don't have the opportunity to spend much time with her camera (long story), but this weekend I finally got the chance to play around with it.

Just the fact figureing out her kit lens doesn't have shake reduction helps a lot. Amazing what "assuming" will do for a person. The shake reduction in the Pentax reallly lets me "get away" with slow shutter speeds and I've just taken it for granted I could shoot her camera like this.

Anyway, I gotta help with dinner, but really appreciate the help.

vmax84