Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I know that it's existing technology but the D300s now does Video. Which I honestly can't see them bringing the needed customers in.
I can't see that being a firmware upgrade, although it would be nice.

I would imagine there's people out there whom can still afford their lower level cameras, so that might be a better area to pump some extra $ into.
Imagine how many beginners would love getting their hands on a D90S (S stands for In Body Stabilization) if Nikon came out with it.
You're right. There's probably a new shutter put in place for video. I forgot about that.

I'd be in shock if Nikon decides to put stabilization in-body (same with Canon). IS/VR has probably brought much money to Nikon and Canon's coffers that I don't see them lopping that off unless one of the second-tier companies that have in-body stabilization takes some serious market share. I agree that it will bring in customers, though, at the expense of some of the second-tier manufacturers.

08-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
The problem I see with NIKON is that it is a consumer based company.. That Needs parts from other manufactures for it's DSLR system.. Sensors from SONY.. Optical glass blanks from Hoya or another optical glass company...These are the most important parts to a DSLR System. Nikon makes semiconductors which samsung, intel and others produce.. Pentax has Hoya behind it to give them the best optical glass for the K mount system.. Samsung, Canon, Sony & Panasonic make there own sensors. Hoya Pentax make there own glass!
I don't see how that is a problem. It got them to 1st or 2nd place (depending on who you ask), with everyone else (save for Canon) far back behind. Sony is beholden to Nikon, the former gets a lot of sensor sales from Nikon. Hoya is also beholden to Nikon, as they sell lots more glass blanks to Nikon than they use for themselves via Pentax.

Perhaps if Nikon was a small start-up company, your perceived problem would be an issue for them. At this stage of the game, not so. Their large business allows them to even choose from many other companies who would want to secure a large contract with Nikon. There are other companies making glass blanks, and there are other companies that do sensors.

Pentax still sources their sensors from Samsung. Is that a problem, too?
08-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While lots of new models have been introduced, all I see in any of the stores around here are D40's, an old model. Best Buy has a D90 on display. Their stuff doesn't seem to be selling, or not at least around here. Ritz burned them pretty bad which isn't good. Ritz sold tons of cameras as they were the only show around in lots of smaller town malls around the country. Of course they never paid Nikon which is probably worse than not selling them at all.
08-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Don't worry, Ritz will pull them out of the hole;-)
So true, so true. Would Ritz do the same for Pentax???

08-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Don't worry, Ritz will pull them out of the hole;-)
It looked more like Ritz shoveled some dirt into the hole ON them to me. Ritz just stiffed them for millions before going into and coming out of bankruptcy and Nikon is in the red.

Maybe Ritz will help them out in the U.S. But it seem like asking the grave digger to get you out of the hole is upside down.
08-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
This is probably somewhat of a sour grapes reply, but I'd bet that even if Nikon or Canon did so poorly as to become financially insolvent, the Japanese government would not let them go under. They'd get bailed out.