Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Canon should have made the sensor bigger then kept it at 10mp in the 2/3" size. Would have made the lens a wider field of view too.

08-21-2009, 05:04 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Canon should have made the sensor bigger then kept it at 10mp in the 2/3" size. Would have made the lens a wider field of view too.
then the cameras would no longer be as small
08-21-2009, 07:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

That G11 isn't exactly "small".

Jas
08-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
then the cameras would no longer be as small
A 2/3" sensor would fit just fine in the G11. I don't think anyone is using that size sensor any more. Olympus had used them in their cameras with the same size and target audience as the G11. I think it was the 8080 series.

08-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jas
Next to a dSLR the G10 is small. I haven't seen the G11 yet but expect it to be similar in size. It is even smaller than many of the "hybrids."
08-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A 2/3" sensor would fit just fine in the G11. I don't think anyone is using that size sensor any more. Olympus had used them in their cameras with the same size and target audience as the G11. I think it was the 8080 series.
you mean like this one? Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Review: 2. Specifications: Digital Photography Review
08-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #37
Veteran Member

That's the one.

08-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's the one.
that thing is ginormous and weighs more than a K100D
08-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon is quickly following on the tail of the new Fuji EXR 200 which boasts a new pixel design said to increase DR by a huge amount.

It sure does but imo the pics look crap.

The Canon G11 is now boasting a "super sensitive" ccd with 10mp to increase DR.

Too be quite honest I think the IQ of these compacts leaves a lot to be desired compared to a dslr sensor.

Dyl
08-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Canon consistently comes out with the best compacts. When going compact, I currently shoot with a Powershot G6 & a Powershot S70, ancestors of these two new models. The G11 is the first G camera since mine that has tempted me. As for the S90, what a pleasant surprise reissue..... I could never understand why they abandoned that model line in the first place. If it wasn't for a huge disappointing missing feature, I would look to be purchasing one soon..... an optical finder. It's a trend I just don't understand, especially in a camera obviously meant for serious photographers. I guess I'll stick to my S70 for now.
08-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Canon is quickly following on the tail of the new Fuji EXR 200 which boasts a new pixel design said to increase DR by a huge amount.

It sure does but imo the pics look crap.

The Canon G11 is now boasting a "super sensitive" ccd with 10mp to increase DR.

Too be quite honest I think the IQ of these compacts leaves a lot to be desired compared to a dslr sensor.

Dyl
No canon is following the Panasonic LX3's blazing success which can't stay stocked at any time. why it took so long for these companies to actively compete with that camera who knows.

the gap b/n P&S and SLR quality is narrowing ... slowly but surely. it will happen when we can get D3 performance out of a camera phone. then imagine all the insecure photographers everywhere

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
If it wasn't for a huge disappointing missing feature, I would look to be purchasing one soon..... an optical finder. It's a trend I just don't understand, especially in a camera obviously meant for serious photographers. I guess I'll stick to my S70 for now.
i think mostly because most P&S optical finders are shit. to make a real good optical finder is expensive and probably not worth it from a marketing standpoint.
08-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #42
Veteran Member

the gap b/n P&S and SLR quality is narrowing ... slowly but surely. it will happen when we can get D3 performance out of a camera phone. then imagine all the insecure photographers everywhere
LOL for sure. Even now, a G11/LX3/serious compact in the hands of a good photographer can embarrass an amateur with a big checkbook and equally large full frame dSLR!
08-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
LOL for sure. Even now, a G11/LX3/serious compact in the hands of a good photographer can embarrass an amateur with a big checkbook and equally large full frame dSLR!
For sure

But take a Km (light & compact) with a half decent lens in good hands and it will thrash the G10 et al with superior IQ.

A friend of mine who has enough experience in photography has one and I have seen a lot of pics - and yes it produce lovely pics of a creamy & smooth quality which can be very alluring but at the end of the day he is still trading better IQ for compact portability

The G10 is beautifully built and if I was going to get a prosumer compact it would be the one.

Below a G10 Pic - iso 80 Auto, jpg, on board sharpening at max, -2/3 exp comp dialled in

Even though this a beautiful photo there is a distinct lack of detail and clarity even with sharpening cranked up (also the shot has been resized down which should increase detail) I'm also amazed that with all that snow the G10 wanted to overexpose??

A km with a 15mm lens imo would give far superior results

Dyl
08-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Next to a dSLR the G10 is small. I haven't seen the G11 yet but expect it to be similar in size. It is even smaller than many of the "hybrids."

I didn't say it was DSLR sized, but hardly think making the sensor a millimeter or 2 larger would affect the current body size of the G11. The sensor is the same size as the G10...only 33% less MP count. This is groundbreaking?

At the end of the day, this is just another P&S with the usual advertising/marketing gimmicks for a model which will be replaced next year with something that claims it is even better. Normal stuff.

Jas
08-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #45
Site Supporter

I didn't say it was DSLR sized, but hardly think making the sensor a millimeter or 2 larger would affect the current body size of the G11. The sensor is the same size as the G10...only 33% less MP count. This is groundbreaking?

At the end of the day, this is just another P&S with the usual advertising/marketing gimmicks for a model which will be replaced next year with something that claims it is even better. Normal stuff.

Jas

Actually you said it wasn't exactly small.

Jas
However, if you meant that they could put a bigger sensor in there, you should have said that. However, I don't know how tight stuff is in one due to not having taken one apart.