Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now there's a nice, nice wildlife rig. Sounds like they put a baby 1 series AF system in it, which should make for some incredible AF performance. Not sure if it will AF at f/8 like the pro bodies, but if it does then you can run the 400/5.6+1.4x on it (stopped down just 1/3 stop it's very sharp with the TC) and get a nice 560mm rig on a capable crop sensor... damn!

My 50D serves me well so can't really warrant upgrading, but I certainly wouldn't turn one down. (By the way, ISO 1600 on the 50D looks great too when exposed properly. So not too surprised even an 18MP sensor holds up well.)

09-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #17

APS-C is here for long stay

I don't think that eos 7d pressure pentax to make ff. I think situation is opposite - the fact that company with longest experience in digital FF release not cheap FF (and even not 1.3 crop) but new high-end aps-c camera and two completely new aps-c lenses proves that even canon thinks that aps-c is here for long stay and not only for entry level photographers.
09-01-2009, 04:51 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish the megapixel race was over. Figuring out ways to get more megapixels on to a small sensor doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, I know that there are point and shoots with 12 Megapixels -- super high density, but the difference is actually miniscule as far as actual printing/cropping ability.
09-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Forget the camera, it's the 15-85 that looks interesting. We're sorely missing something like that.

09-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wish the megapixel race was over. Figuring out ways to get more megapixels on to a small sensor doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, I know that there are point and shoots with 12 Megapixels -- super high density, but the difference is actually miniscule as far as actual printing/cropping ability.
Nobody's forcing you to buy high MP cameras. And the 7D is far more than just a sensor density increase, it's a damned fine looking piece of equipment with the new AF system etc... a big upgrade overall.
09-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Hmmmm. As a K-7 and 5D owner, nothing really pops out to me about this. I'll be honest, if this were a FF cam hitting below 2K, I would've thought about upgrading my 5D, but APS-C?

I guess the pitch AND roll digital level is nice. I'd love to have that on my 5D, which is what I use for all my tilt/shift photography (using an APS-C cam for the purpose is not desireable).

Besides that, I really don't need the MP (heck, K-7's 14.6MP is already overkill), I don't need the FPS. I guess birders could benefit a lot, but I'm not one.
09-01-2009, 05:57 AM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's special about the 15-85?
There's the 17-70 offerings as well as 16-45 and 16-50 variety.
Do you mean pushing even further each way on these zooms?
How's the 15-85's IQ?

Also don't quite get why Pentax should go FF with the introduction with this cam.
If anything, it reinvigorates the megapixel and mega-fps race in an APS-C cam for those who are that way inclined.

Back to basics - a camera captures photos... will this 7D help capture photos that the K-7 can't? Perhaps a little (given better high ISO performance), depending on how often low-light captures are important. For the rest of us, there's good value and good performance available right here...

09-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What's special about the 15-85?
There's the 17-70 offerings as well as 16-45 and 16-50 variety.
Do you mean pushing even further each way on these zooms?
How's the 15-85's IQ?

Also don't quite get why Pentax should go FF with the introduction with this cam.
If anything, it reinvigorates the megapixel and mega-fps race in an APS-C cam for those who are that way inclined.

Back to basics - a camera captures photos... will this 7D help capture photos that the K-7 can't? Perhaps a little (given better high ISO performance), depending on how often low-light captures are important. For the rest of us, there's good value and good performance available right here...
Will the K-7 help you capture photos the K20D couldn't? You want good value, buy a K20D. The IQ from that camera is excellent and the rest of what the K-7 adds doesn't really add up to the huge price jump IMO.

Comparing the 7D to the K-7 you now have AF that appears to be similar to the 1-series Canons (which are incredible) -- that to me is the BIG difference. Doesn't matter to all, but for those who can use it it's a big deal. High ISO performance, the nice viewfinder etc are secondary when it comes to *my* priorities though no doubt others are more concerned with 'em.
09-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wish the megapixel race was over. Figuring out ways to get more megapixels on to a small sensor doesn't make any sense to me. .
Why? Even 18mp is very low resolution.....
09-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a whole different game from the 12mp point-and-shoots. Have you looked at the samples? 18mp in this case means much improved cropping ability, no doubt improved large prints, and superior imaging characteristics overall (similar or slightly lower total image noise but divided into an even finer grain pattern).

It's not a "small sensor," it's just smaller than FF. Which is smaller than MF (which has typically had worse high ISO performance until recently). There's still plenty of room to increase pixel density, and with it, image quality.
09-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #26
Forum Member

Sounds like their 'new' flash system that is capable of controlling external flashes with the pop-up flash is exactly like what my k10d can do.

Of course, when Canon says they do it, then it's an awesome feature...
09-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Canon EOS 7D Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Oh my god this is a beast...

... Of course the only real added benefits from the K-7 is EXTRA WEIGHT (more like a con), +3 fps, 19AF points, 4 extra MP, and 1080p movie recording.

I really think Canon hit the spot with this one. It's actually the SAME price as the D300s! Shows that Canon still is the leader in imaging.
What do you guys think?
I think they went overkill on the MP now that I think about it. They should of stuck with 15mp.

Canon 7D DSLR First Hands On: 18 Megapixels, 24FPS Full HD Video for $1900 - Canon EOS 7D - Gizmodo

Or not. There are some sample images from a pre-production model and even ISO 1600 looks great... Darn you Canon! :-D
FF has nothing to do with this one. The rumored FF Sony , that is promised to be $2000 or less will change the whole game IMHO.
09-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shaloot! Quote
Sounds like their 'new' flash system that is capable of controlling external flashes with the pop-up flash is exactly like what my k10d can do.

Of course, when Canon says they do it, then it's an awesome feature...
It's something Canon users have been bitching about for years so about time they added it.

And of course they'll list it as a cool new one, since it's been missing so far
09-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Forget the camera, it's the 15-85 that looks interesting. We're sorely missing something like that.
yep. ditto on that ! nikon/canon both have similar lens. 16-85, 15-85. pentax OTOH has 16-50.

Last edited by opiedog; 09-01-2009 at 07:43 AM.
09-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I wonder how good the 15-85 will be, it's a pretty aggressive zoom range for maintaining decent IQ.