Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Generally, "first system" is the one that you use primarily, while "second system" is the one that you use less often or for a less vital purpose.

So, in Pentax, you could have Pentax K-mount digital, Pentax K-mount film, Pentax Screwmount, Pentax 110, Pentax 67, Pentax 645, and soon Pentax 645D, and lets say film compacts and digital compacts. 9 possible systems with Pentax that I can think of. Where are the other 11 you're hiding from me and where can I get some?
Well, if you want to define a system based on mount + format, you left out M37 of the Asahiflex. You also left out AF and mf film bodies. And to answer your indirect question, I do have all of the aforementioned with exception of the 645 and 645d.

Edit: For that matter, the Spot F and ES/ESII used the s-m-c and smc lenses to do things that previous spotties and pre-spotties couldn't do. In addition to that there is the various medical applications and scientific applications that Pentax has and has had over the years but I don't have any of those. I wouldn't mind having one of the ultra apochromatic lenses but can't aford one.

09-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmm... personally, I'm not sure whether I'd consider things like the AF vs. MF film bodies seperate systems, per se, since it's all so compatible. K-mount film and K-mount digital are a little dicey to see as seperate systems (to me) as well, except that they're so different in use as a whole. AF vs. MF film is just a difference in the amount of features, imo.

If you start doing photography with Pentax medical or scientific imaging equipment, I'll give you all the props I have to give.
09-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
Thanks for chiming in everyone - glad to see that i'm not the only one that's thinking of carrying another system for specific needs. No system is perfect unfortunately, although I like the number of adapters that i'm see for the m4/3 mount to to be able to port glass over as opposed to investing in a completely new range.

The big 2 obviously have their appeal for faster AF, but as i'm not shooting tons of sports yet, i'm gonna hold out.
I use the D700 most of the time now and kept the K20D for my Taks. I don't shoot much sports either, but the D700 AF is quite amazing, and the ergos are perfectly fine too.

Either way, I don't see any problems with running multiple systems. Like you said, no system is perfect, and there's no reason to be stuck to just one brand if you can afford it.
09-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Hmm... personally, I'm not sure whether I'd consider things like the AF vs. MF film bodies seperate systems, per se, since it's all so compatible. K-mount film and K-mount digital are a little dicey to see as seperate systems (to me) as well, except that they're so different in use as a whole. AF vs. MF film is just a difference in the amount of features, imo.

If you start doing photography with Pentax medical or scientific imaging equipment, I'll give you all the props I have to give.
I was exaggerating in jest with the 20 systems of course. I don't consider af and mf different if the lenses can be shared. The point I was really trying to make is that multiple systems doesn't automatically require 2 or more brands. I consider the Pentax 35mm a system, 6x7, 110, 645 as systems as well as the medical stuff. The M42 and M37 are semi-compatible with current film and digital gear.

I'd love to have one of the quartzite lenses to to some U.V. work on flowers and insects. They are cost prohibitive at the moment but not out of the realm of possibility.

09-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

That's ok, I'm just messing around too.

Where can I find more info on these quartzite lenses and whatnot? I've honestly never heard of them, and I generally consider myself reasonably well-versed in photographic esoterica... (things slip through the cracks, of course).
09-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter

That's ok, I'm just messing around too.

Where can I find more info on these quartzite lenses and whatnot? I've honestly never heard of them, and I generally consider myself reasonably well-versed in photographic esoterica... (things slip through the cracks, of course).
There is this site:

The Macrolens Collection Database

Here is a brochure on the 85mm and 300mm : http://www.macrolenses.de/bilder/test/UA_Tak_OpManual.pdf

I have been drooling over this one:

Pentax M42 4,5/85mm Ultra-Achromat-Takumar - eBay (item 370264431654 end time Sep-30-09 06:03:42 PDT)

Edit: here is a site with some samples of flowers imaged under U.V. light with a U.V. lens.

http://www.pbase.com/kds315/flowers My interest in this is from an insect behavior standpoint. Some insects have coevolved with plants and since the insects see more in the U.V. spectrum, there are aspects of flowers etc that are only visible there.

Last edited by Blue; 09-30-2009 at 01:30 PM.
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Edl,

I had a chance to play with the D300 AF system, which I'm told other than the slight delay in initiating is essentially the same as the D700. Very impressive and i'm sure useful for action. I couldn't justify the size and weight premium for hiking though and decided to go with the K-7 for now.

The D700 though, at almost the same size offering FF would be a very nice complement to the whole thing. I'll have to decide how much I like video as the pana GF/GH-1 might be a logical addition for the field as it will effectively also act as a 2x multiplier and reduce my lens set.

Who knows, maybe i'll be crazy enough to carry 3 systems :P

09-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Olympus OM manual focus

Right now I keep an Olympus 35RC rangefinder in my camera bag together with my Pentax digital gear. I love Olympus cameras, and I love almost everything about their DSLRs, except the cruddy viewfinders, 4/3 sensors, and poor backwards compatibility. If they had gone with APS-C like everyone else I would probably not be posting in this forum right now.
10-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wanted to see how many other are running a second system in addition to Pentax here. I'm seriously considering a m4/3 with its smaller format for carrying when i'm camping/hiking and getting an adapter to be able to shoot with all my Pentax glass.

I had previously thought about changing my main system to Nikon for it's better AF tracking, but I just can't seem to pass up the Pentax ergonomics. Anyone shoot Oly 4/3 in addition to the Pentax that can comment on how the AF algorithms compare?
If you can, I'd wait until Pentax makes their own micro-dSLR system. That market is so hot I can't imagine them not joining at some point.
10-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
If you can, I'd wait until Pentax makes their own micro-dSLR system. That market is so hot I can't imagine them not joining at some point.
I thought about this, and indeed it would be nice to marry the pentax lenses a pentax mirrorless body, but the added benefit of carrying a m4/3 with an adapter in the field along with a pentax body is that it will effectively act as a native 2x adapter for all the lenses that i'm already carrying. That way I have the benefit of 2 bodies, increased lens range at minimal weight and space overhead.
10-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

In any case, there's probably many micro-dSLR's waiting to be revealed soon from Nikon and what-have-you, so I'd sit on the fence a little longer if I were you. The current models all have their flaws - or so I've heard.
10-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
In any case, there's probably many micro-dSLR's waiting to be revealed soon from Nikon and what-have-you, so I'd sit on the fence a little longer if I were you. The current models all have their flaws - or so I've heard.
And the next one's won't?

All cameras have their flaws, including the current m4/3, but they're still fantastic little cameras. Particularly the GH1 and GF1, not much to fault with either.
10-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

And the next one's won't?

All cameras have their flaws, including the current m4/3, but they're still fantastic little cameras. Particularly the GH1 and GF1, not much to fault with either.
What I meant was that since it's a new sort of camera, not everything's been ironed out yet. Anyway, C&N are bound to get one on the market soon, and I'd wait for those before making a decision.
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Fair enough. I'd still say the GF1 and GH1 have things pretty well ironed, but that's my opinion.

As for other brands with big-sensor small cameras, here's the current lookout:

Sigma's got the DP1 and DP2.

Olympus has the E-P1 and there's a product announcement coming up at the end of the month (no one knows what for, but there's plenty of speculation).

Panasonic has the G1, GH1, and GF1.

Leica has the X1, and some would argue that the M8, M8.2 and M9 are small enough to fit in here. Of course, everything they make is ridiculously pricey.

Samsung has the NX in the pipes, though details are still scarce. Seems to have a faux-DSLR form that's not very exciting.

Fuji is rumored to be likely to be jumping on the m4/3 bandwagon, but no one really knows. m4/3 sensor supply? Whole m4/3 cameras? Neither? We'll see.

Pentax... no one knows, no indications of intent to produce a large-sensor compact (they seem to do the compact DSLR thing pretty well anyways) but there's speculation about them and m4/3 (I consider it unlikely). Also speculation of them doing something with...

Ricoh. Rumoured to be working on an APS-C interchangeable-lens compact with a rangefinder-style body. Sounds interesting, if true.

Canon has given no indication of anything of this nature in the works, and have specifically stated that a mirrorless interchangeable-lens system was NOT under consideration. This doesn't rule out the possibility of a large-sensor fixed-lens compact, maybe the next G series camera, but there's not much buzz about it.

Nikon is expected by just about everyone to come out with an APS-C sensor compact, no interchangeable lens system, though. Thom Hogan talks about it. He seems to be "in the know" reasonably often.

Sony? Who knows, but with their 7 tiers of DSLR offerings and about 9 million different compact camera offerings either a) they're way too busy or b) they're just having fun and they'll spit one out tomorrow if they feel like it. However, given their unwillingness to implement main-sensor live view in their cameras I get this funny feeling that they're not headed to a live-view only camera anytime soon... unless that's the point, keep the types seperate for market stratification.

So that's the near future, or at least the popular speculation about it... if someone wants a small, versatile high-performance camera NOW, however, m4/3 is where it's at.
10-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #30
edl
Veteran Member

Edl,

I had a chance to play with the D300 AF system, which I'm told other than the slight delay in initiating is essentially the same as the D700. Very impressive and i'm sure useful for action. I couldn't justify the size and weight premium for hiking though and decided to go with the K-7 for now.

The D700 though, at almost the same size offering FF would be a very nice complement to the whole thing. I'll have to decide how much I like video as the pana GF/GH-1 might be a logical addition for the field as it will effectively also act as a 2x multiplier and reduce my lens set.

Who knows, maybe i'll be crazy enough to carry 3 systems :P
I think my interest in Nikon was sparked when I borrowed a D300 + 85/1.4 in Tokyo. It would lock AF consistently for street work at night, when my K20D already gave up.

But for hiking I would go small too. I bet the K7 is great for that. The only advantage something like the D700 (or really the D700x when it comes out) might offer is the ability to use the 14-24/2.8 combined with large photosites to capture dramatic landscapes. But unless you're printing large an APS cam will be fine too.

I'm not a video guy, so I can't comment on that. Still trying to make my photography better I think Samsugnian (sp) has Pentax, Nikon, and Canon.