Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
emr

Ricoh mirrorless APS-C camera in K mount this year? (EDIT: not K mount)

There have been some rumours before about Ricoh making a new camera in K mount. K-rumors is now saying it would be available this year! This is VERY interesting considering that Samsung's NX will not use K mount and Pentax hasn't announced anything like this.

(K4) Ricoh is coming with K-mount mirrorless system! | k-rumors

EDIT: Originally from Ricoh mirrorless camera | Photo Rumors

Last edited by emr; 11-09-2009 at 12:56 PM.
10-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't quite understand the purpose of such a camera.

I mean, half the reason why you'd want a mirror-less body is to reduce the overall size; if this cam is K-mount, and follows K-mount specs, i.e., it's flange focal distance, then it's gonna be pretty much the same size as any other K-mount camera.

The only thing that would make sense is to make the body a new mount (like NX) then develop an adapter for K-mount lenses with close to 100% compatibility, including AF and SDM. You'd of course want to develop new lenses for the new mount, so that you can put out a super compact APS-C camera.
10-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Theoretically you could produce a camera much smaller than current K-mount DSLRs (just look at Pentax's manual cameras)

BUT to do that you'd need to be able to shrink the electronics down a lot, remove SR. Taking the mirror out might help even if you don't shrink the registration distance if you can make use of the space somehow.

However it sounds extremely unlikely to me. I can see Ricoh maybe moving back into the interchangeable lens market but like this? Hmmmm....
10-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Purely theoretically one might be able to construct a full size mount (be it K or EF or whatever) that would collapse into the body somehow. But then that could lead to internal organs damage in case of some lenses. But then a metal curtain of some kind could be used.

Ultimately however, it would all be rather pointless as it is unlikely a manufacturer such as Ricoh would want to create a camera that would actually promote using of older/existing lenses instead of pushing the buyer to buying new optics.

10-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe the issue is that a sensor is not the same as film and you can't get a lens as close and get good results. That said, I am a fan of Ricoh cameras, and would welcome them making an APS-C mirrorless camera because they likely would get the UI very right. I also would be happy if they made a fixed lens APS-C (ala DP1/2) as well. I think that is higher probability than an interchangeable lens body.
10-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

While samsung and ricoh get a round to it

While samsung and ricoh get a round to it, Nikon has one in pipeline too, with 5 new dedicated lenses for it.

And if some rumors are facts, Nikon in Japan is the manufacturer of Leica X-1 $2,000 fixed lens length bigger sensor tiny camera too.

2010 is going to be Interesting.

It's a Nikon patents Friday | Nikon Rumors
10-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
And if some rumors are facts, Nikon in Japan is the manufacturer of Leica X-1 $2,000 fixed lens length bigger sensor tiny camera too.
Nikon? Where does this rumor come from? Other rumors say it'll be made by Leica in Germany (and not by Panasonic in Japan like LX3/DL4).

10-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I haven't seen any credible rumors that the X-1 is "made" by Nikon. There is speculation that the sensor is very similar to the one in the D300 (which is Sony built I believe).
10-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's the link Nikon makes Leica X-1, I think

Here's the link Nikon makes Leica X-1 or part of it or ???

I've got family due in minutes so I'll dig deeper, later.

Hmmmmmmmmm Tenderloinsssssss

For Breakfast

It seems that Nikon will announce a camera similar to Leica X1 | Nikon Rumors

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I haven't seen any credible rumors that the X-1 is "made" by Nikon. There is speculation that the sensor is very similar to the one in the D300 (which is Sony built I believe).
10-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe Pentax should partner with other smaller brands and establish a standard to compete with M43. Call it EVIL-K. Pentax, Ricoh, Casio? Who else? Cosina/Voigtlander? Kodak? Sigma?

It can be an EVIL APS-C camera with its own lenses that can also use existing k-bayonet lenses with an adapter - just like M43 can use 43 and other mounts with an adapter.

I've said it elsewhere, Pentax can easily turn the K-m/K-2000/K-x into an EVIL-K by:

1 - removing the mirror to flatten the top of the camera
2 - shrink the grip by replacing the AAs with a smaller lithium cell
3 - lopping off the lens mount and turning it into a k-mount adapter

Imagine a set of Pentax pancakes with this setup - wow. Even with the k-mount adaptor, a camera like this with a DA 40 would be pretty small.

Pentax would benefit by opening up a new market for their existing lenses, as well an opportunity to create new lenses for the EVIL-K standard.

Partners would benefit by being able to introduce a new standard that already has some lens support - via the k-mount adapter.

And we'd benefit by not have to lust after the E-P1 and GF1 anymore!

Win win win I'd say!
10-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Here's the link Nikon makes Leica X-1 or part of it or ???

I've got family due in minutes so I'll dig deeper, later.

Hmmmmmmmmm Tenderloinsssssss

For Breakfast

It seems that Nikon will announce a camera similar to Leica X1 | Nikon Rumors
Well, there was no "second camera" announced on 15Oct so maybe th credibility of his sources is a tad suspect . I have no doubt that Nikon will release an APS-C mirrorless camera. I do have doubts about Nikon making the X1 for Leica. I think what you're seeing is the internet came of telephone...
10-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nikon or not, but indeed the small camera-large sensor trend is going to pick up speed soon enough...
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Purely theoretically one might be able to construct a full size mount (be it K or EF or whatever) that would collapse into the body somehow. But then that could lead to internal organs damage in case of some lenses. But then a metal curtain of some kind could be used.
A user on dpreview claims to have gotten confirmation directly from a Ricoh rep, along with the mention of a "trick in the design of the camera" that allows it to work. And there's some speculation about folding the optical path to reduce the depth on the body with changing registration distance.

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Ultimately however, it would all be rather pointless as it is unlikely a manufacturer such as Ricoh would want to create a camera that would actually promote using of older/existing lenses instead of pushing the buyer to buying new optics.
Ricoh's not a current lens manufacturer, so it's not like they'd be cannibalizing tons of sales. And unlike Samsung's strategy, this would mean Ricoh's camera has a deep lens library, widely available, day one.
10-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, if there would be a small camera that could take my Pentax lenses, I'd be glad to buy one to replace K10D that serves now as my 8 years old daughter's main camera and as a backup for me. The smaller the better, given of course reasonably good image quality.
11-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
emr

According to a Swedish photo blog Ricoh is inviting people to their new camera release happening next tuesday. The invite doesn't include any specs or even the name of the camera. That blog post makes a guess of camera specs:

QuoteQuote:
APS-C sensor
interchangeable lenses with Ricoh's own mount
Mirrorless body with "live-view"
Not much bigger than GR-D cameras
Same usability/handling as GR-D
Optional EVF
Breaking news - Ricoh släpper sin nya ädelkompakt med utbytbar optik nu på tisadag den 10:e! - Camera Obscura - Fotosidan