Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

This looks like a camera for gadget freaks, not photographers or the average consumer.

Jason

11-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #17
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if they make bayonet unit (for any mount) and interchangeable sensor unit,
it would be cool
11-10-2009, 02:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I don't quite see the point of this

With the zoom unit and the macro unit I would get something that's roughly equivalent to an LX3 and a K-x with DA35. With the macro mounted, it weighs only about half of a K-x with a DA35 mounted, but then it's not quite the same camera. With the compact zoom mounted, it's larger and heavier than an LX3.

And the price for the camera with both lenses seems to be a little higher than the total price of an LX3 and a K-x with 18-55, 50-200 AND DA35 lenses...
11-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I also thought what is the point of this camera? However after just looking at the sample pics on DPreview I have only one word to say. Wow! Are they really that good?

11-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I also thought what is the point of this camera? However after just looking at the sample pics on DPreview I have only one word to say. Wow! Are they really that good?
They look good indeed! However, from the A12 photos I was expecting DA35-like quality anyway. It's perhaps more interesting that the S10 photos look pretty good as well, even the ISO 800 shot of the child is OK. But I don't have a high-end P&S to compare with - can anyone with e.g. an LX3 or G11 care to comment?
11-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Bravo to Ricoh for some much-needed innovation and for taking a chance the larger players aren't willing to. Now cut the prices by a third and I'm totally on board!
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It is just one step from the modern adaptall. It would be interesting what licencing and documentation scheme have they chosen for this system.
Can we expect other manufacturers making their own modules?

Another good thing is convenience, that the lens/sensor is protected from dust, while changing lenses.

11-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure I "get" this yet. I understand RED, but with this I haven't figured out the long-term issues.

So what you have is a UI, battery and processor that you'd keep for many years. And then a lens and sensor that you'd keep as well. Presumably they would make different size "bodies" with the same mount, and one could also imagine a "sensor pack" with a bayonet so that you could mount whatever you want. At that point it begins to get interesting.

At least it is something different. Kudos to Ricoh for having the balls to play around with a different concept. As for obsolescence, in this case look at the times you end up buying a new body. This may end up being a little cheaper. But in the end you pay your money one way or another...
11-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
At least it is something different. Kudos to Ricoh for having the balls to play around with a different concept. As for obsolescence, in this case look at the times you end up buying a new body. This may end up being a little cheaper. But in the end you pay your money one way or another...
Indeed - just as the market was getting boring.

I had not realised that the one of the modules is APSC, which makes the attached 33m lens look rather huge! Why not a folding design? Cant argue with IQ though. From the DPReview tests it looks stunning!!
11-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Indeed - just as the market was getting boring.

I had not realised that the one of the modules is APSC, which makes the attached 33m lens look rather huge! Why not a folding design? Cant argue with IQ though. From the DPReview tests it looks stunning!!
I look at my DA 35/F2.8 macro - it's much bigger than either the DA 21/F3.2 or the DA 40/F2.8 - and I wonder if Ricoh's decision to make their 50mm equivalent a macro lens contributes to its size. I'm puzzled by this decision because the result is not very pocketable.
11-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If the price of sensors can be kept to a minimum, this makes perfect sense. How about a small sensor for ultra long zoom or macro, and a full frame sensor for wide angle?

If they make a full frame module with a K mount, there won't be too many complaints from me!
11-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It's doubtful they're going to make modules with any kind of lens mount on them. Partly because it conflicts with their "no dust issues" message, and partly because doing so wouldn't help sales of their own lens modules - which is where they'll be hoping to make money. Making a sensor module for somebody else's lenses makes money for somebody else, at the expense of your own profit margins. Also, if they were going to offer lens mounts, you can be fairly sure they'd be touting that as a selling point.

Hence I wouldn't hold your breath. And as-is, to me personally the idea of tying sensors to lenses makes no sense at all for any number of reasons.
11-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hey, that's a pretty neat concept. Very gadgetey, but for someone who doesn't need a whole lot of different lenses... Potential there. I think it's cute, too: it reminds me of a little medium-format rangefinder.

I'd at least applaud people doing something new and different with camera design.
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #29

Original Poster
Ricoh is supposedly working on a Pentax K-Mount adapter for the camera. It would be cool to see an APS-C module and a FF Module for K-Mount. I'd be interested in the FF module!
11-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Ricoh is supposedly working on a Pentax K-Mount adapter for the camera. It would be cool to see an APS-C module and a FF Module for K-Mount. I'd be interested in the FF module!
Supposedly according to what? The scuttlebutt that predicted a Ricoh camera with Pentax mount, and completely missed predicting even the name of the camera that Ricoh actually announced?

I wouldn't trust those rumors for a second. If there was to be a K-mount module, Ricoh would've announced it.