Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure where to go next... advice appreciated!

Well, the 1Ds2 is at Canon for a health checkup and cleaning so I can put it up for sale if I want to. You might wonder why. Well, I bought it for the superlative autofocus and image quality, only to find myself a year later using a crop sensor camera for all my "action" stuff. So I carry around this veritable tank and use it with my manual focus lenses, for landscapes, and so on. Does it perform those tasks well? Oh yes indeed; this is arguably one of Canon's best cameras even today.

But, using the 50D so much for birding has spoiled me a bit; I actually like the more compact camera and lighter setup. This has me toying with the idea of selling off the 1Ds2 and picking up another FF body. Three candidates come to mind:

5D "classic": *relatively* inexpensive, still a great performer, I hardly ever print above 16x20 and it's got enough juice for that. Cons: aging LCD (though that isn't a big deal to me), mirror box doesn't clear alt/adapted lenses as well as a 1-series, no live view which can be nice for landscape work.

5D II: price wise a lightly used one would be an even trade with the 1Ds2. Great LCD, HD video (that I doubt I would use), even more resolution than the 1Ds2. Cons: paying a lot extra for stuff I really don't care that much about (better LCD, video), some pattern noise that is visible when really wrenching the most out of an image and not present in....

Sony A850/A900. I list these as one since they are so similar. Amazing image quality, very "organic" looking, probably the closest thing to a medium format back these days. Cons: no live view, won't take my Canon glass, high ISO not so grand (though for the intended purpose that would be a non issue).

Considering my brand C lens lineup, sticking with Canon FF would make the most sense. The 300L and 400L are used with the 50D for my primary passion (wildlife) and the 24-105/15-30/50/85 are on the 1Ds2 though, so I really don't share lenses between the two systems except for occasional entertainment. For all intents and purposes, I would not see any real difference going to two entirely separate systems, EXCEPT if I need a backup rig.

As much as I like Pentax gear, I really want to be able to use alt glass at the "proper" field of view. I have some M42 and OM stuff and starting to investigate getting some more gear along those lines since there are some real gems out there, especially in the wide/ultrawide spectrum.

Thoughts?

11-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Damn Brit

My first thought is "Do you really need to get another camera?".
You have the 50D for your birding so that is covered.
I'm saying this because in the first paragraph you seem to be almost speaking fondly of using the 'tank' for landscapes with your MF lenses. It sounds to me like your almost finding it relaxing. Why not get yourself one of those inflatable armchairs for use with the 'tank'?
11-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, keeping the "tank" is the implied but not mentioned option. But I do feel bad at times carrying around what's essentially massive overkill since I rarely if ever use its strengths (weather sealing, build, AF performance) and wonder if I'd be better off with a more compact setup.

But yes, you are right... I am very fond of it, though I hate cleaning the sensor of the damned thing, and believe me, a FF sensor without any dust reduction gathers crap like nothing else.

Now you have me thinking of option Z which would be unloading the 15-30, 50 and 85, and picking up some nice alt glass like the Zuiko 18 or 21 and the Samyang 85....
11-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
But yes, you are right... I am very fond of it, though I hate cleaning the sensor of the damned thing, and believe me, a FF sensor without any dust reduction gathers crap like nothing else.

My new secret weapon is a very soft bristled artists brush, it's called a 'shader'. A couple of gentle brush strokes and a couple of puffs with the rocketblower works great for me.

11-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
My new secret weapon is a very soft bristled artists brush, it's called a 'shader'. A couple of gentle brush strokes and a couple of puffs with the rocketblower works great for me.
I have an Arctic Butterfly brush set; but if I change lenses frequently I end up having to clean the sensor near every day.

Then again, I suppose it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. I probably should get a "decent" compact (e.g. GX100) either way though, to have something to just go scouting with.
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really want a FF? You may as well stick with your Canon choices seeing as though you've already got the right lenses for your birding.

If you're happy with the 50D, you could even just keep it (as Gary suggests) or just bite the bullet and go with your 5DMkII - but you'd know better than we do!
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess the advantage of selling the 1dsII and picking up a 5d mk1 is that you'll have over $1k of extra money sitting in your pocket. That would be worth it to me as long as the 5d suited my needs

I just picked up a 7d and thought about selling my gripped 40d and putting in some extra $$ for a 5d mk1 but I decided I really don't need it a FF camera. The 7d pretty much does everything I want and well enough for me. My 40d is relegated to backup duty now.

Let us know what you decide

John

11-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just hate the look of the high-iso images from the A900 - really bad, yucky chroma and luminance. I like a lot about those cameras, but I'd never shell out for a FF that gave me mediocre high-ISO results.

Nikon D700 is still the over-all FF king in my book when it comes to price/performance.
11-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You have great Canon glass - that is reason enough to stay with the brand. I agree that the D700 is a great camera, but the 5D2 is pretty much a wash against it. D700 wins with another stop of usable ISO, but higher rez file of the 5D2 allows for more aggressive crop and scaling down reduces apparent noise. I love the files from the Sony cameras but good glass isn't cheap (and there isn't a huge selection), and if you shoot low light then I think you've lost the IQ advantage.

If you like your glass, I'd say stay Canon. If you aren't satisfied, then consider jumping to Nikon. But it'll cost you...
11-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Sell your camera and wait

Sell your camera and wait. 5D Mark II is overdue for price drop. With Nikon D300s putting pressure on 7D maybe it will drop price too. Nikon is now $120 less than 7D. That immediate price drop on D300s made me study the D300s specs. My friend, who works at camera shop can now buy D700 for $1999 new, & D300s $1,300 new through nikon's "employee purchase program". Once Nikon clears out D700 at better price to camerastore salespeople they then drop price to everyone so we're closer to seeing D700 at $1999. That'll also make 5D Mark II price drop, I'll guess

Hmmmmm, I see a Price War on horizon...

I like my 5D Classics, however I've never read of anyone that owns 1Ds bodies who's been wow'd by 5D Classic images. There seems to be a bit of fairy dust added to 1Ds files, so I've read.

I suspect when 5D Mark II finally sheds launch price my classics will shed value too. Seriously used examples just break $1,000 thesedays.

I'd like to wait for 5D Mark III or popular rumored 3D, a digital Eos-3. That would be cool. I recently realized I can add my 2x TC II to my 300mm f4 IS and get speedy image stabilized autofocus with Eos-3 film body. Autofocus at f8 function only reserved for only 1Ds and 1D dslrs.

If you only need one camera, sell your 1Ds Mark II before it drops more resale value. That 1Ds Mark IV is so close to getting announced, or so it seems. Once everyones bought their $5,000 1D Mark IV, then Canon can launch the next $8000 body.

I assume you know the current 1Ds Mark III runs $6115 at B&H, almost $2,000 off original list, and $1,000 off adjusted list. If Canon's next flag ship full frame comes in at $6999 then that will also depress resale value of your old 1Ds Mark II.

Canon EOS 1DS Mark III Digital SLR

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518204-REG/Canon_2011B002_EOS_1Ds_Mark_III_SLR.html

Last edited by Samsungian; 11-14-2009 at 06:03 AM.
11-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks; the only problem with selling and waiting is that I won't have anything FF to shoot with though.
11-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

5D2 = 5D + Grip + Extra money for lenses (135L?)
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
5D2 = 5D + Grip + Extra money for lenses (135L?)
The 135L is nice, but I so rarely use that focal length that it would be wasted on me. Most likely I'll get some alt glass (though my Tele-Lantar 135/2.8 looks surprisingly nice -- M42 lens with adapter) for that length.

Scored a Zuiko 50/1.4 yesterday, looking for a 24/2.8 and either 21 or 18 next.

The 1Ds II should be back late this week from a health checkup and rear LCD cover replacement (the original was a bit scratched; they're not too hard to replace but since I wanted Canon to give it a checkup and clean anyway may as well have them do it). I'll shoot some more with it and see how I feel about things. The Sony body is very tempting and I did get to play with an A850; controls and IQ seem excellent, but it felt like a Rebel compared to the 1 though.... we shall see!
11-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

KEH has the market cornered on these 1DsMarkII. There's 9 available right now.

KEH has the market cornered on these 1DsMarkII. There's 9 available right now.

Canon Digital - Camera Bodies
1DS MARK II 16.7 MEGAPIXEL WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER, DC COUPLER, INSTRUCTION BOOK (CF CARD, SD CARD ) , DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA

Condition EX+ $2,799.00
$2,569.00 Add to Wishlist

EX $2,569.00
$2,370.00 Add to Wishlist

Based on 0 Reviews | Write a Review

1DS MARK II 16.7 MEGAPIXEL WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (CF CARD, SD CARD ) , DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA

Condition EX+ $2,799.00

EX $2,569.00

BGN $2,099.00
$2,029.00 Add to Wishlist

Based on 0 Reviews | Write a Review

1DS MARK II 16.7 MEGAPIXEL WITH BATTERY & CHARGER, DC COUPLER (CF CARD, SD CARD ) , DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA

Condition EX+ $2,799.00

EX $2,569.00

BGN $2,099.00
$2,029.00
11-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure what your point is... they always have a bunch for sale.