Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I haven't done any formal tests, but having shot thousands and thousands of frames with both bodies I would make the following general statements:

The 50D is as fast as anything I've used, ever. In the past I'd give the nod to the 1-series for pure speed, but the 40D/50D are so good they keep right up with them....

The 1Ds Mark II is superior for servo tracking when using all focus points. There just isn't enough points on the 50D to accurately track smaller subjects when moving around the frame.

Since I almost always use center point only (because I do not trust the camera to pick the right spot to focus on when doing birding) the 50D works great for me. Light weight and great performance.

The 300/4+1.4x isn't SLOW but the 400/5.6 is so wicked fast that most other glass pales in comparison. That and the long MFD focus limiter makes a world of difference.
I've never used a 50d but I do have a 40d and I have to say that the 7d is faster at acquiring focus and seems to track better (but that is a little hard to tell). The one thing I do really like is using center point with expanded focus points for BIF. It seems to work very well so far although I haven't tried it a ton against busy backgrounds.

The biggest selling point for me about the 7d (and another reason why I "settled" for it rather then a 1dIII) is the ability to adjust how quickly the AF will refocus on a different object. I shoot dog agility and it would drive me crazy when I thought I had a perfect shot to only realize that the AF picked up a pole that I crossed when tracking the dog. With the 7d I can set it so it doesn't pick up new objects right away allowing me to track the dog without worry

John

11-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I've got the glass covered well except

I've got the glass well covered, well except I've been haunted by 400mm 5.6L. Have 300mm f4 IS and 1.4x II TC and 70-200mm 2.8 IS too.

I just didn't think I would ever consider buying another crop format dslr again, but this 50D at a certain price point becomes very foolish to pass bye as it falls off the system infavor of 60D at full launch price.

I wonder if the darkest of blackest fridays finds me in a bit of a spending spree, but I'll wait for TheFriday after Turkey Day to...
stimulate.
11-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
I've never used a 50d but I do have a 40d and I have to say that the 7d is faster at acquiring focus and seems to track better (but that is a little hard to tell). The one thing I do really like is using center point with expanded focus points for BIF. It seems to work very well so far although I haven't tried it a ton against busy backgrounds.

The biggest selling point for me about the 7d (and another reason why I "settled" for it rather then a 1dIII) is the ability to adjust how quickly the AF will refocus on a different object. I shoot dog agility and it would drive me crazy when I thought I had a perfect shot to only realize that the AF picked up a pole that I crossed when tracking the dog. With the 7d I can set it so it doesn't pick up new objects right away allowing me to track the dog without worry

John
Oh, I don't doubt that the 7D has a better overall AF system -- certainly far more customizable. But that said, the 50D has never let me down so far for BIF work (which as you know can get pretty demanding); even with subjects flying behind trees/posts temporarily it tracks steadily and accurately. Couldn't comment on dog agility though since I've never tried anything like it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I've got the glass well covered, well except I've been haunted by 400mm 5.6L. Have 300mm f4 IS and 1.4x II TC and 70-200mm 2.8 IS too.

I just didn't think I would ever consider buying another crop format dslr again, but this 50D at a certain price point becomes very foolish to pass bye as it falls off the system infavor of 60D at full launch price.

I wonder if the darkest of blackest fridays finds me in a bit of a spending spree, but I'll wait for TheFriday after Turkey Day to...
stimulate.
IMO, if you have a good copy of the 300/4 (and it seems that there's not a lot of copy variation on this lens anyway), that + the 1.4x is enough UNLESS you need the autofocus performance of the 400/5.6. The 400 is slightly sharper when pixel peeping than my 300+1.4 but I really doubt you'd find any difference even in larger prints. It does have less CA when dealing with certain subjects but CA is a rarity in the first place on either lens combo. Where the 400 really sings is fast moving action, and for the money there's nothing that can touch it there.
11-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I just remembered another 50D feature I could maKe use of

I just remembered another 50D feature I could make use of:

I can use my K Mount glass via manual aperture & manual focus without having to clip off the Pentax aperture lever and shield. I'd have to chop, or grind the pentax mount for use on 5D, which I do not find appealing. APS-C Canon are fine with adequate clearence due to smaller mirror, from what I've read.

I'm intrigued. 7D specs real well but 50D for under $900 delivered to me is very appealing at this point in time.

D300s dropped another $5 bucks to $1575 free delivery, 7D remains at launch:
$1699

11-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Glad I can help muddy the waters.

Honestly, it's sad to see the 50D getting such a poor rep; it's a superb body that I think was a big step forward from the 40D in some aspects and was tarnished by DPreview's poor testing. People who've never even held one "know" it's got "worse noise than the 40D" blah blah, while just about everyone who bought one is very happy with its performance.

Sorry, I get on a rant about this at times, not sure why it bugs me so much...
Seeing the review in the other thread, the Eos 50D seems to hold up well to the new Eos 7D :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/801735-post13.html
so no reasons to discern the quality from the 50D.

Great Osprey shot by you as well.
11-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Refurb'd Canon 50D: $1099

Refurb'd Canon 50D:

$1099.

Odds are I'll buy me a shinny new 50D within two weeks, brand new with better warranty for less monies. I still wish 50D had the better 2 year warranty I know firsthand canon sometimes throws in at end of product cycle. Not that I used their warranty service yet, still a 2nd year for free is better than one.

Canon Direct Store - Refurbished EOS Digital Cameras

I was considering a $395 flash which I doubt I'd use much, but this 50D price drop'n till she's gone is becoming way too tempting with its own handy built in flash. Same battery I use, same charger I use. How low will it go?

I could do head~to~head Pentax K20D versus Canon 50D shoot out and with same pentax lenses on both. Most my pentax glass is not autofocus.

$943 today at my front door less a solid $50 loyalty rebate thats mail away and pray bonus if I get the $50 check in the mail

Thanks for clueing me in Pingflood

Are you using standard focus screen in your 50D ???

Last edited by Samsungian; 11-17-2009 at 04:55 PM.
11-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Yes, I am only using AF lenses on the 50D so no need for any other screen. I've debated in the past whether to try a different screen on the 1Ds2 to focus the faster manual focus glass, though the stock one has been working out pretty well.

11-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I see 50D has a fast glass screen for $33

I see 50D has a fast glass screen for $33 I placed in my shopping cart.

Up thru f2.8 provides better manual focus by allowing for more exagerated out of focus view. I'll get one.

I added two fast glass screens to my 5D and a grid sceen when I bought them all.

I see 5D Classic screens I added are discontinued now
11-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Sounds interesting; looking forward to see how you like them. Since I mostly use the 400 on my 50D I would really suffer if I added a more accurate screen.
11-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #40
Veteran Member

The screen you use is right one

The screen you use is right one, its rated for f3.5 to f5.6.

Same with grid, its standard screen with grid lines added.

I'm pretty excited. I really never studied up on 50D till today.

Looks like fun for right admission price as it would add some potential to my canon kit

Then in a couple years I can seriously consider 7D or 5D Mark II when price is also right, & after I'd added new computer for bigger files and HD editing software, rode mic ect...

Best time to buy dslr is right before its no longer available for sale new at dealers I do biz with.

I would have ignored 50D and poof, its gone.
11-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I just picked up the 300/4 IS and I'm impressed. I have been using it indoors handheld in crappy light and it renders nicely and it totally manageable. I'll likely get a TC and may actually pick up a flash (gasp!) as a cinematographer colleague shoots a lot of 5D2 w/off-camera flash to great effect.
11-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Man Nostatic, you are building up a nice kit

Man Nostatic, you are building up a nice kit. I need to show my 300 f4 some more love and get over the fact I should have bought the 2.8 instead. That slip out and screw in place hood is a nice touch huh? Far superior to detachable hood.

I went local yesterday. I had the 50D, 7D and 5D Mark II inhand to consider whats next. 50D is nice but now I'm thinking I'm back to waiting for better price on 5D Mark II and I'll proceed with computer purchase next. Still No Pentax K-7 to consider locally.

I still prefer big viewfinders and the 50D is small as it should be as its aps-c and not 100%. If it slips $200 more in price, to like what I paid for Pentax K20D I'll revisit the 50D purchase idea.

Last edited by Samsungian; 11-19-2009 at 10:33 PM.