Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Whats wrong with IQ of canon lenses?
Nothing at all, if you buy L glass. there are also plenty of great inexpensive lenses like EF 50 1.4 or EF 85 1.8

12-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Nothing at all, if you buy L glass. there are also plenty of great inexpensive lenses like EF 50 1.4 or EF 85 1.8
I wouldn't fret over L glass, as you point out there are non-L lenses that do quite well. Though I would not call the 50/1.4 "great" -- I sold mine to get the Sigma 50/1.4 which IMO is a far better performer if you get one without AF issues.
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Sorry but I am really scratching my head wondering why you bought Pentax in the first place.

Just buy a Canon. Or a Nikon.

Really I'm starting to weigh up whether or not its worth selling my pentax K7, fisheye, 17-70, grip and 540gz and moving over to the Canon 7D.

Reasons?

Well more its the choice and market of higher end telephotos and lense choices in general, High ISO work that is concerning me as I want to get more into long exposures, deep sky/star trails.

The other thing is well the flash system on Pentax isn't reputed to be as good as the Canon....not sure how true that really is? wouldn't say thats an issue for me as I use the 540 and have not had any dilemmas or issues using it.

1080p with manual control on the 7D.

Finally working professionally I worry I may not be taken as seriously (ok that sounds petty)

BUT....reasons keeping me with the Pentax is I love its ergonomics, I already have a kit established and I love the camera itself.

Or am I just trading one similar camera for another and just better off getting a 5D Mk2?
12-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Sorry but I am really scratching my head wondering why you bought Pentax in the first place.

Just buy a Canon. Or a Nikon.
First DSLR I used was a K100D and I loved the feel and design of it, anything I held a canon or nikon in a similar pricepoint I felt like I was holding a toy.

After owning a K7 I find even the Nikon D90 a bit....flimsy.

12-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

First DSLR I used was a K100D and I loved the feel and design of it, anything I held a canon or nikon in a similar pricepoint I felt like I was holding a toy.

After owning a K7 I find even the Nikon D90 a bit....flimsy.
You listed several reasons to buy a 7D (which does not feel like a toy). I agree most of Canon and Nikons consumer SLRs are plastic but the 7D is not, so just buy one. Its all the things you say you want.

I don't get these posts frankly.
12-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I think there are valid reasons for these posts. If you don't see the point, why complain/comment? Each to their own.

If I wanted to comment on every post I don't get, I'd need to transform into Data (Star Trek) and do nothing else.
12-15-2009, 01:46 AM   #37
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps it's more that the OP asked the question why he shouldn't switch when there are all these self-actualised reasons why he should. I believe Steve's somewhat bewildered at what appears to be a rhetorical question.

There is no reason in my mind that CW shouldn't switch, but from the responses, I see no reason why he has to either.

12-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I've handled Canon 7D a few times now

I've handled Canon 7D a few times now as all the local stores stock it. Its appealing but everytime I think its buyable, then I pause and consider 5D Mark II is just $1,000 more. Less than twice the cost & 5D Mark II is just as available locally at numerous stores for hands on considerations.

I added old tech 5D classic in early 2008 to my Pentax kit for full frame sensor, to make my ultrawide glass ultrawide and to experience very fast & minimal hunting autofocus. If the dollar ever gains traction against the yen Canon will respond with price drops and the my dollars will buy more. The great price reductions Canon had last year, today 12-15-08, were incredible. This year for me there are no tempting deals.

We all assume K-7 replacement will have a superior sony sensor so theres always the option of waiting and watching and reading up on other brands.

I assume K20D will be the last Pentax dslr I ever buy, but then again at the local shop yesterday I impulse bought an old , like new, 40mm Pentax Pancake. I've got this thing for "Made in Japan" Pentax lenses with aperture selector rings at lensmount.

That's the problem with owning more than one brand, the more brands you own the costlier gear acquistions become. I won't cash out of my Canon kit to solve my multibrand problem. And for the moment my core Pentax kit stays.

I still like my K20D Shake Reduction body. Luckily for me Pentax has moved towards K-7/K-x/K-m sized bodies which are too small for me so its easy for me to pass on the current platform. Plus I know from past experience with Pentax they always inflate cameras launch price so I always have to wait 8-9 months on any new dslr purchase. I'm guessing April 2010 K-7 will be a cent less than $700 which if it were bigger K20D sized & it had a much better sensor then thats when I'd buy one. Instead I'm impulse buying used pentax "made in japan" lenses with no new Pentax dslrs on the horizion to consider.

With Six Dslrs inhand I've become a very picky shopper

Last edited by Samsungian; 12-15-2009 at 07:56 AM.
12-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

You listed several reasons to buy a 7D (which does not feel like a toy). I agree most of Canon and Nikons consumer SLRs are plastic but the 7D is not, so just buy one. Its all the things you say you want.

The K7 may not feel like a toy, but then again, I don't recall anyone saying it did. But if you compare it feature for feature to a 7D, and compare the performance of those features, the K-7 runs out of steam like a Tonka toy at a road builder's convention.
The 7D really does run circles around the K7 in every parameter. The K-7 has body integral shake reduction, which is pretty much it's only redeeming feature compared to the Canon.
I don't get these threads to be honest.
People seem to be either whining that Pentax is behind the performance curve (I've done enough of that) or are complaining that Pentax is too expensive.
What they really need to be doing is going out and taking some pictures.
12-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The K7 may not feel like a toy, but then again, I don't recall anyone saying it did. But if you compare it feature for feature to a 7D, and compare the performance of those features, the K-7 runs out of steam like a Tonka toy at a road builder's convention.
The 7D really does run circles around the K7 in every parameter. The K-7 has body integral shake reduction, which is pretty much it's only redeeming feature compared to the Canon.
I don't get these threads to be honest.
People seem to be either whining that Pentax is behind the performance curve (I've done enough of that) or are complaining that Pentax is too expensive.
What they really need to be doing is going out and taking some pictures.
Pictures? Dont be crazy, this is a camera forum!
12-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I fail to understand why people complain that a Pentax model doesn't have all the features that another camera that costs several hundred dollars more has. If Pentax built the D3x and sold it for 500 bucks they would still find something to bitch about.
12-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #42
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I fail to understand why people complain that a Pentax model doesn't have all the features that another camera that costs several hundred dollars more has. If Pentax built the D3x and sold it for 500 bucks they would still find something to bitch about.
Like that it's too cheap.
12-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Seriously, go for the camera and try it out yourself. I bought mine and use 7d really for the sake of knowing the camera.

Canon does not have a good flash system like Nikon. Maybe you want a twinhead flash for 65 MPX 1:5 macro stuff. I got them and I only do coin photography with it. lol
12-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #44

Photos: Gallery
This is not the best analogy in the world so bear with me:

Camera choices are like automotive choices. Look at all the different cars on the road. I GUARANTEE you that all the "good" or "bad" drivers are not lumped into ownership of any one type.

This model can do what this model doesn't, this feature is not on model a or model b, etc.

Some models corner better, but are slower, etc.

None of the features on any vehicle make me a better driver. Albeit some can allow me to do specific things better than others. It all depends on what I want/need to do.

Over the past 3 years (I took a 30 year break to raise my family. Back then it was a Spotmatic auto, er camera.) I got caught up in the rat race of multiple platforms. While I have noticed my pictures are getting better as time goes on, just because I am now shooting with a K20D is not the exclusive reason. Me thinks practice makes perfect.

So I understand how the grass can be greener on the other side. Believe me I know. Ever shot an SD14? Let me tell you about green cast.

But I digress.
12-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Is 65mm MP-E overkill magnafication for coins?

Is 65mm MP-E overkill magnafication for coin photos?

I find 100mm macro works well for me.

Are you planning to add other canon lenses to your 7D coin shooter kit ?

MP-E for the curious:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183199-USA/Canon_2540A002_Macro_Photo_MP_E_65mm.html

Twinhead flash:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details...=194480&is=USA

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Seriously, go for the camera and try it out yourself. I bought mine and use 7d really for the sake of knowing the camera.

Canon does not have a good flash system like Nikon. Maybe you want a twinhead flash for 65 MPX 1:5 macro stuff. I got them and I only do coin photography with it. lol