Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If she doesn't listen to your advice, why does she ask for it?

Tell her she needs this most of all: Digital SLR Cameras and Photography For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)):Amazon:Books

12-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No point in talking her out of it - looks like she's decided on it already.
The K-x with some decent lenses sounds like a lot more sense for her, but that's up to her.
Being young and unemployed, it may just be wishful thinking, but then again she may not have the insight on what's appropriate for her and what she can afford.

In the end, she may get the camera, enjoy using 10% of its capabilities, go broke as a result and get repetitive strain injury in her wrists and neck before finally selling it off... or then again, she may have her head screwed on right and be serious about making it a passionate vocation, developing her own flair and growing into an aspiring and talented photographer, gaining jobs that pay for her desired L lenses and then some... but again, her decision.
12-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
My sister wants to get a 5D Mark II just because I have a K-7... I tried talking her out of it because she's setting herself up for failure. It's going to be her first DSLR and I told her that if she wants a good Canon she should get a 50D or a 7D instead which are Canons that aren't stripped down, still has the screw-drive, magnesium alloy construction, etc. I also told her about the lenses investment too that it's pointless to get a 5DMKII and use cheaper lenses and that lenses is one of the most important factors when choosing a DSLR.

This is some of her photos by the way... Flickr: t4mmy's Photostream

Has anybody ever had any similar stories? How did you deal with it?
What's stripped down about the 5DII? It's a fantastic camera.

Also, before you start offering advice make sure you do a little research first; NO Canon DSLRs have a "screw drive" -- the focusing motors are in the lenses.

And, the body IS magnesium alloy.

In your rush to push her out of going to one of the best cameras sold today, you seem to have missed these things.
12-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
What's stripped down about the 5DII? It's a fantastic camera.

Also, before you start offering advice make sure you do a little research first; NO Canon DSLRs have a "screw drive" -- the focusing motors are in the lenses.

And, the body IS magnesium alloy.

In your rush to push her out of going to one of the best cameras sold today, you seem to have missed these things.
I never said the 5D2 is stripped down. What I meant by that is anything below the 50D is stripped down, therefore I suggested the 50D or 7D instead of the t1i or below since they had magnesium alloy bodies just like the 5D2 and 1DS3. and I didn't know Canon DSLR's never used screw-drive, I thought it was like Nikon where their lower-end bodies had no screw-drive while the upper bodies had screw-drive.

12-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

OK, fair enough, I thought you were saying the 5D2 was a lesser camera somehow. My bad.

And yeah, Nikon's the one with screwdrive issues. Canon maintains lens functionality across the board, even on the low end ones. I personally think the current Rebels are very good cameras, though certainly not as sturdy as the XXD series.
12-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lol yeap np. Whenever I think of Canon, I just always have to think of Nikon, and vice versa. Probably because these two are the big boys in the market.
12-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
it makes as much sense as my Grandson's AK47
I hope this is a joke? If not there is certainly no sense in your grandson having an AK47 and you should try shooting with a camera not a gun. If you are joking then ignore my comment.

12-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

One more "Just got D5MKII, where's the "masterpiece" button???" thread on DPR, one less... who cares....
12-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Maybe if pentax offered a $2700 full frame she'd want it instead?

Maybe if Pentax offered a $2700 full frame she'd want it instead?

Her First dslr purchase could be $2699. Nice.

Most people here have spent $2700 or more on two or more pentax dslrs when added together, so its not an insane ammount of money for a hobby shooter to pay for a camera. Very few Pentaxians on this forum make a living off their Pentax cameras so its an expensive hobby for most of us.

Maybe her friends own 5D Mark II or other canon dslrs ? Maybe she wants to shoot 1080 HD ?

I wouldn't consider 5D Mark II stripped down. Its been out over a year and remains so popular it hasn't dropped in price. In a couple months into 2010 Canon already announced another firmware due that adds even more functionality to its HD capture.

I think she should buy it.

My sister wants to get a 5D Mark II just because I have a K-7... I tried talking her out of it because she's setting herself up for failure. It's going to be her first DSLR and I told her that if she wants a good Canon she should get a 50D or a 7D instead which are Canons that aren't stripped down, still has the screw-drive, magnesium alloy construction, etc. I also told her about the lenses investment too that it's pointless to get a 5DMKII and use cheaper lenses and that lenses is one of the most important factors when choosing a DSLR.

This is some of her photos by the way... Flickr: t4mmy's Photostream

12-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Sounds like she's already drank the Canon Kool-aid. Let her get it then when she realizes that she's in way over her depth she can sell it and buy a nice Pentax and some good glass.

Mike
12-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like your sister should start on a PowerShot G11 and work up from there.
12-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

sounds to me like your sister is a 22 year old female in todays ever so material world, where kids place no value on anything but status. Imagine how cool her friends would think she was because she could afford the 5DmII, and the Gucci and the Prada and...

Kids today! <old codger voice>in my day all we wanted were Polo shirts and Bartles & Jaymes wine coolers...</old codger voice>
12-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Maybe once she has a job and can see how much work is needed to get $3k then she will change her mind.

BTW... she definately needs a colorful KX, one from japan. Goes well with Prada!

mike
12-18-2009, 04:12 AM   #29

My sister wants to get a 5D Mark II just because I have a K-7... I tried talking her out of it because she's setting herself up for failure.
Here's my 2 cents:

One of the hardest lessons I've had to learn is that the art is more important than the gear. For most people, a very expensive camera like that may be status symbol. Take me seriously, I have a 5DII! It's like stuffing your crotch before a hot date.

If she insists on the Canon system, I'd try to steer her toward one of the Rebels. I have a Rebel XT, and I've found that it has plenty of resolution for most of what I want to accomplish. Even if I wanted to make a poster-sized copy of one of my photos, 8MP is overkill. At the Sam's Club photo lab (where one of my teachers swore by), there largest file they can process is about 1.25MB.

The real reason to get a 5D is for the extra sensor real estate, and judging by her photos she really doesn't need it. She doesn't seem to take many photos that require a wide-angle lens. Judging by her photos, I'd estimate that her photographic skill would be somewhere in the range of "myspace glam" pics.

So to echo the sentiments above, that camera is overkill, sounds like she wants an accessory not to take photos, etc. etc.

There is no reason why she couldn't get a Rebel and work her way up, but at this point she may be better served by a Powershot.
12-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #30
Inactive Account

If she came to you for advice then certainly offer it.

If she did not then it's not of your concern.

What she does with her money is up to her.

c[_]