Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My sister wants a 5D Mark II as her first DSLR.

My sister wants to get a 5D Mark II just because I have a K-7... I tried talking her out of it because she's setting herself up for failure. It's going to be her first DSLR and I told her that if she wants a good Canon she should get a 50D or a 7D instead which are Canons that aren't stripped down, still has the screw-drive, magnesium alloy construction, etc. I also told her about the lenses investment too that it's pointless to get a 5DMKII and use cheaper lenses and that lenses is one of the most important factors when choosing a DSLR.

This is some of her photos by the way... Flickr: t4mmy's Photostream

Has anybody ever had any similar stories? How did you deal with it?

12-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of years ago (when I was a Nikonian), my niece asked me what kind of dSLR she should get for her husband - he was stepping up from a P&S and took snapshots. I recommended the entry-level Nikon D40x. She bought him the D80 (or was it D90). Two years later and he's still taking snapshots. The camera is totally under-utilized and they overpaid for what they needed. But they're happy and the world didn't end, so it's all good.

The only thing I would suggest is for her to go to a store and hold it and ask herself, "Will I want to carry this all day?"
12-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Why does it matter to you? It's her money.
Most SLR cameras are underutilized most of the time.
12-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Forum Member

As a former Canon owner, I can say that the MkII is one heck of a starting point. However, she won't need to upgrade anytime soon. If she has the cash, then go for it. ALOT to learn.

12-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is nothing wrong with 5DII. You gave your advice, but it's her decision to make, and vice verse.
12-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
My sister wants to get a 5D Mark II just because I have a K-7... I tried talking her out of it because she's setting herself up for failure. It's going to be her first DSLR and I told her that if she wants a good Canon she should get a 50D or a 7D instead which are Canons that aren't stripped down, still has the screw-drive, magnesium alloy construction, etc. I also told her about the lenses investment too that it's pointless to get a 5DMKII and use cheaper lenses and that lenses is one of the most important factors when choosing a DSLR.

This is some of her photos by the way... Flickr: t4mmy's Photostream

Has anybody ever had any similar stories? How did you deal with it?
I read an article not too long ago about a high school student photographer who went into debt to buy a 5D Mark II as her learning camera. That seems to me more egregious than your example, even though this girl clearly had aspirations to reach a level where owning a 5D Mark II would be justified.

In the end, though, cameras are luxury items that -- if you use them often-- are smarter things to blow money on than say a 50" television. At least the camera records your memories that will outlast the purchase. So if your sister can afford the Mark II there isn't anything wrong with her going for it. If you get her an adapter she can even save some money by using old Pentax Takumar lenses on it for dirt cheap (Pentax glass wins in the end!)

If you want to try to talk her into a more sensible purchase, I'd say tell her to start with a Canon 5D or 7D and to spend the difference on a/an awesome lens(es) (in weak moments, I yearn for the 24 f/1.4 and 35 f/1.4 prime lenses that Canon makes). Then when Canon releases the upgrade to the Mark II next year (most likely), she can pick up a Mark II for a more reasonable price. It sounds like you've already tried this argument, but maybe showing her some awesome pictures that these lenses take on Flickr would help her visualize the difference a little better.
12-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Makes sense to me.....when my youngest Grandson turned seven he wanted a rifle....I wanted to get him a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun like I had as a kid, but he wanted an AK47....sort of like your sister. This way he would have all the firepower he would ever need and not have to waste time with "learning curves" on lesser weapons. Sure, he made a few mistakes, shot up a few neighbors and some cows, but in the end he managed to get some good deer shots.....blew their head completely off! So tell your sister to go for it, why not, it makes as much sense as my Grandson's AK47.
Regards!

12-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The only thing I would suggest is for her to go to a store and hold it and ask herself, "Will I want to carry this all day?"
I echo the statements of others about "why not? it's her money", but tell her to do just like john said as K-7 is infinitely smaller than 5dII
12-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why does it matter to you? It's her money.
Most SLR cameras are underutilized most of the time.
just tell her straight up it's going to give her huge muscular arms

edit: and show her a beautiful white K-x
12-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Does she understand the basics of photography? Relationship of ISO/aperture/shutter speed...exposure comp...focal length...focus...all that? Can't forget developing (aka post processing).

Get a starter camera for now...$500 or less. Use it for a year, then see where her priorities lie.
12-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Does she understand the basics of photography? Relationship of ISO/aperture/shutter speed...exposure comp...focal length...focus...all that? Can't forget developing (aka post processing).

Get a starter camera for now...$500 or less. Use it for a year, then see where her priorities lie.
She has always been using a P&S, she told me that she wanted the 5DMK2 and she wanted me to teach her how to use it. She doesn't understand the basics and relationships of the terms. I told her to get the 50D or 7D instead so she could utilise that money to actually buy better lenses since that'll be more important if she's going to equip herself with a 5DMK2, she probably won't have enough money to buy good lenses either and instead she'll most likely use the 18-55 on it. She doesn't have a job right now and she's turning 23 soon, she said she'll get the 5DMK2 when she gets a job.Oh well, I'll just let it go and see where she goes with it, she'll eventually learn one way or another. I also did tell her that it's going to be heavy and not practical for the snapshots that she will want to use it for.

But like someone stated, I guess it's just like what someone said above how someone who never fired a rifle wanted to fire an AK-47. IT's just like what my sister is now but she's 22 and she's really childish and doesn't understand the basic concepts of life and what she can get and what she can't get. Her boyfriend spoils her like crazy with these Gucci purses and Blackberry phones while she doesn't even have a job. I'm just two years younger than her and I am always telling her what's right and what's wrong whenever she emails me a bunch of crap. She never really learns anything and makes the same compulsive mistakes.

But you guys are right, I'll just go ahead and have her get the 5DMK2 and see where she goes wit hit, I doubt her motivation will last very long though. I really want the 5DMK2 so I wouldn't mind her buying it anyways, I would love to put that beast in my arsenal alongside with my K-7.
12-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

LoL Yea its like would the 5dMk2 + lens fit said Gucci bag and would said Gucci bag have room for anything else haha.

I always tell people to not really debate the quality specifics especially at such an early stage and focus on the body weight/size, ergonomics and user interface. If you get a tool that you'll hate using, your photos will share the same enthusiasms.
12-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Tell her you won't help her if she's going to spend $3000+ initially. It's fiscally irresponsible, and she needs to be taught a lesson.

Give her a finite budget number, and go from there...

If she's not going to listen to your arguments (cost, size/weight, no "scene" modes, glass costs), let her go her own way. You're both adults and if she doesn't listen to someone who's obviously more experienced, then that's tough...
12-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If she has the money to spend, then why not.

Maybe she'll let you use it, and after a year, when she is tired of lugging it arround, you can buy it from her. You'll get a used camera with a known history at a much better price then buying it new.

As an aside, I don't understand where a 22 year old without a job will get the cash to buy such gear.
12-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Heck, I had the opportunity to fool around with a 5D at a camera show last year, and the first thing that popped in my mind was: "Where's the removable lead inserts?" That is not a light camera. It was nice, however.

Like everybody else has said, try to teach her how to budget. It makes a tiny bit of sense to get something you can learn into, but if she's going to use it for about a week and then never touch it again because it's "too complicated", then it's useless.

What you could also do, is get her a cheap SLR (with a lens, preferably) from craigslist and kijiji, one with total manual controls, so that you can teach her the basics.