Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
"Suggest a lens that isn't available in K mount that would make owning another brand a good alternative."

EF 70-200 F2.8L
This lens is worth buying 5D2 for it. Canon L primes are not bad ether.
Tilt-shift lenses for architectural applications. Very hard to find for K mount. Multiple current options for Canon and Nikon.

01-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I try to support my local retailers
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I got started with a canon XT, now 40D, and last bought a 30D for backup, but I wasn't happy with MF lens use--the metering in the 40D is horrid, and I DID come across some Pentax glass, along with M42 and some others, and Tamron Adaptall stuff

So I recently bought a K10D to use that all on. Shake reduction, focus confirm, and much better metering than with my Canon.
01-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamron Adaptall lens owners can use them on any brand of film SLR for the cost of the interchangeable mount.
With the unfortunate exception of the Pentax PKA model most are very inexpensive, $25 or less in most cases.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-25-2010 at 08:46 AM.
01-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #20

It all depends on what you plan on using the 2nd camera for. I went with a Sigma SD14 simply because I can use my Pentax glass on it, I can convert it to full time IR in seconds and then back to color in seconds, I needed 100% true and accurate color reproduction(especially in reds and greens since a simple fluctuation in tone/shade can equate to hundreds to thousands to even tens of thousands of $$$$$/carat) for gemstone & mineral & inclusions photography for sales & research materials as well so I had to go with he FoveonX3 sensor and since Sigma is only one using it... I got stuck with the SD14(not really complaining, excellent camera just some quirks wish they would fix), for the same reasons prior I also needed better DR and I didn't want to step up to a MF due to loss in DOF, and a few other reasons. I also needed the resolution of a FF sensor, which the SD14 does produce enough data to equal the Canon 5D FF camera in print. Other then these, I simply would have snagged another Pentax.

I have a few friends that own a Canon or Nikon FF because Pentax does not offer one. And a few that own 1Ds or D3s for sports due to the super high fps. And a few who owned lower model Canon for the high ISO imaging but have since(or are going to) switching to the K-x since it is actually even better.

I plan on getting either the next Pentax body or a K-x due to now needing a higher ISO camera as well.
01-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a Canon 40D so that I could use the EF 85mm f1.8, and I'm glad I did. It was a fantastic lens for a lot of things. However, I really would have preferred (but couldn't afford) a 50D to put behind it. The 40D sensor (also used in all the other 10mp APS-C Canon DSLRs, regardless of what they tell you) was something I found very dissatisfying at anything but base ISO, which sort of threw me back to the days when I was shooting with an Olympus E-330 (loved that camera, but only at ISO 100...).

I no longer have the Canon. I bought it for a specific purpose and then ditched it for the K-x (also for a specific purpose, I needed the versatility and small size for a big trip). Honestly, the K-x isn't that far off the 40D's performance in my actual usage and the IQ is much, much better. I'll probably buy some MF 85mm sooner or later since I like the focal length so well... probably a jupiter-9 or maybe one of those Samyang clones that are actually quite good... though my ideal would be that Heliar with the crazy bokeh.

My only reason for buying into another system at this point (and I do plan to) would be to have a high-quality camera that I can stick in my pocket to have with me everywhere or take on long runs without noticing it's there. The Panasonic GF1 seems perfectly sufficient to my desires for such a camera and the E-P1 could do the trick just fine as well, paired ideally with the Panasonic 20mm pancake (a great little lens). I'll go ahead and grab one of these once you can get them cheaply used.
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I am finding myself drawn to video, from both a creative and business perspective. I've shot a small web video with the K-x and now am looking for a better vdSLR. Or is that dSLv?

In an case, the likely suspects are the K7, 7D, and GH1. As much as I'd like to stick with Pentax - and the K7 addresses many of my still photography wants - it's lacking some key features for video like full manual control of video, control of audio, additional HD formats (like a true 1080p), etc. The 7D is like a bigger K7 with some advatages, but it too still suffers (in my eyes at least) frm some video defficiencies. For video, the GH1 has a lot of the thngs I'm looking for - full manual control, autofocus, tilt-swivel screen, and overall a use experience more optimized for video.

So I may end up with the GH1 with the kit. Plus I'll get an adapter for K mount. I just wish Pentax would make some updates to the K7 to make it more suitable for video. Maybe even via firmware...

01-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I only own one pentax DSLR, but I've considered buying the K-x when it gets to a reasonable price. Then I would have to buy some more lenses to go with it.

I haven't really thought much about buying a Nikon or Canon camera, although these are often available at very favorable prices, too.

What would be a good reason to buy an alternate brand body? Suggest a lens that isn't available in K mount that would make owning another brand a good alternative.
If a D700x (D700 with D3x's sensor) comes out and is ~$2500, buy it--I would and probably pair it with a Sigma 50 f/1.4. A Nikon camera like that is just a matter of time. Otherwise, buying another non-FF (or a low-res FF) camera is probably a waste of money, if you're not getting paid for your photographs.

FF's main advantage is that the mirror box of most DSLRs is designed for 35mm film--you might as well reap the benefits of a larger camera design. Historically, photographers have used larger format cameras to get finer detail in their photographs. But to buy a low-res FF "for the ISO performance," but then shoot at ISO100-400 at low-res seems pretty nuts (unless you "need" high fps). EDIT: The nuttiest thing you could ever do is what some forums members here are doing: spending thousands of dollars to post postage stamp-sized--albeit sometimes good--photos on internet forums.

IMHO, the fact that Canikon cameras don't have body IS/VR/etc. is amateur/rational person unfriendly. If you're being sponsored (or are nuts), then you can probably use Nikon 600mm f/4G ED AF-S VR II. Otherwise, you're stuck with Sigma or Tamron lenses and no IS/VR/etc.

In any event, here are some special lenses:

Minolta STF 135mm f/2.8 T4.5* lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nikkor AF 105mm f/2 D DC - Review / Test Report

Last edited by asdf; 01-25-2010 at 04:09 PM.
01-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have a number of different camera makes and two camera systems. I have a Pentax digital SLR, also SLR system(s).

I also have a Mamiya TLR medium format system....one MF body, three TLR lenses, misc. other Mamiya stuff.

Got the Mamiya for landscapes and portraits..because of the formay size.