Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Well I'd love to tell you all about my UG grade 80mm f1.9 from KEH. I'd love to say that UG is nothing to fear. Unfortunately UPS (I call them oops) screwed up AGAIN, this time blaming it on a train derailment. I'm just wondering how far away the driver will be on Monday when he throws the package on to my patio, and how big of a puddle it will land in.
Heehee. I think I was tempted by that very one, last time I poked in there. (I think it was about this thread, actually, checking prices.) I'll be abstractly-curious what you get.

At least, if that lens looks really beat, when someone asks, 'What *happened* to that lens?' you can say, all deadpan, "Train wreck."

01-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

I hadn't thought of that one! I can also say "The delivery man threw it at my house!"
01-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it finally showed up today, and...

It's an absolute beauty!

I can not believe that KEH classified this lens as ugly. There were only two very minor things I noticed wrong with it - there are some extremely minor nicks in the front element, and the name plate was loose, which took all of 3 seconds to fix. I could see a bargain classification, as in my opinion it falls into the "may have small marks that do not affect image quality" camp. Whatever. I'm sure not going to complain - it's the best $60 I ever spent on a lens!
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great purchase, Steve. Congrats.

01-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Steve, you'll enjoy that lens even more, knowing you got it as a steal. It is really great fun to use it and its quality is (despite its large aperture) very, very fine. The next buy should be the 180/2.8 Zeiss Jena lens, which is a nice complement to the 80/1.9, though a bit heavy.

Ben
01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #51
Veteran Member

It's an absolute beauty!

I can not believe that KEH classified this lens as ugly. There were only two very minor things I noticed wrong with it - there are some extremely minor nicks in the front element, and the name plate was loose, which took all of 3 seconds to fix. I could see a bargain classification, as in my opinion it falls into the "may have small marks that do not affect image quality" camp. Whatever. I'm sure not going to complain - it's the best $60 I ever spent on a lens!
Heehee! Yay! I hope it shoots well: I doubt they test em very exhaustively when they make the condition ratings.
06-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #52

I get the impression from the 'old thread warning' that resurrecting threads that have been dead for >1 year is frowned upon, but I've been reading through the M645 postings and I'm wondering how it has worked out and, in particular, if anyone can offer an opinion on IQ of the M645 105-210 f4.5 zoom and the 35mm f3.5 N. I have a lot of time on my hands right now as I'm lying on my back with my laptop recovering from spinal decompression surgery, so I am spending a lot of time looking through e-bay ads and I am now the proud owner of a 50mm f4 shift lens but as yet I have no body to attach it to! Currently in transit from various vendors are a 1000S, WLF, PD prism, 80mm f2.8 and left-hand grip. I was thinking that a 35mm f3.5 N and a 210mm f4 N would complete a nice kit for architecture and landscapes, but M645 kit has been going up in price in the UK and also seems to be much more expensive here than in the USA. I have heard that the 35mm f3.5 N is very soft at the edges and that the 105-210mm zoom is as good as the primes if it's stopped down to f5.6 or f8. Can anyone confirm from personal experience?

Last edited by Stupot1; 06-26-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: missed a bit out
07-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #53
Veteran Member

It's an absolute beauty!

KEH has very conservative ratings I never have issue with their Ugly. most of the time it amounts to a small fault, bu can otherwise be near perfect, and the fault is usually easily repaired (I got 1 lens where the rubber grip for focus slipped. easy fix, looked like new otherwise