Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A new low - ugly lens

This has to be a new low for my bottom feeding habit: my $3 Fujica ST605n + 55/2.2 lens

The camera body looks good, and in fact works well... except the rewind film release button is missing. Theoreticlly, I can push a screwdriver or equivalent into the hole, find the correct spot, and rewind. So far, I'm 50% on that - I broke the first roll clean off the spindle. The dry run was successful. So if I'll use this camera ever again, I'll unload in the darkroom.

The lens is another matter. It looks plain ugly - the focus collar is chipped away to show the metal underneath, and the lens displays it's undies (helicoid) when at closest focus. However, it does focus, there's no fungus, and the aperture blades work well.

So, what results can one expect from such an ugly beast, cheap to begin with, and in hideous condition?

CVS ASA400 film, lab scan:

01-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

looks like a diamond in the rough.
01-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heheh. Does look like nice results, there. I wonder if someone lost that rewind release button while repairing it, and you could just put something else in its place, (or another one?)
01-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, someone (demented) had been at the camera and lens... at least they did a good job with the light seals. One screw was missing from the bottom plate, so it was flapping in the wind. Unfortunately looks like the button was broken off where it screwed into the bit it screwed into.

The wierd thing, I should be able to push in with something and have the same effect, but it didn't work with film in. So there may be something else missing/wrong with that part of the mechanism.

01-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Damn Brit

The 3D effect is stunning, especially the last two. I had to touch my screen to make sure it wasn't a mixed media collage.
01-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yes, someone (demented) had been at the camera and lens... at least they did a good job with the light seals. One screw was missing from the bottom plate, so it was flapping in the wind. Unfortunately looks like the button was broken off where it screwed into the bit it screwed into.

The wierd thing, I should be able to push in with something and have the same effect, but it didn't work with film in. So there may be something else missing/wrong with that part of the mechanism.
Hrm, ..I think I have an idea the sort of thing which may be wrong: if there's a bent rod or broken part in there preventing it from disengaging the advance, ...perhaps from someone really forcing the mechanism in one direction or another. Maybe if you try rewinding before you reach the very end of the roll, trying the mechanism at a little ways along the frame, you could save yourself the unloading in dark bag thing? (So the little dot some cameras have when the button rotates, it would be in a different position if it were still there. )
01-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Despite what must have been a rather harsh former life it seems to have recovered sufficiently to do to perfection what a lens should do .... produce beautiful pictures.

Mickey

01-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

fuji has an underated reputation for making great lenses
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Stay away from Ebay, it's evil....EEEEEEE...VIL
01-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats on getting the Fujica ST605N. I have one of those suckers and I must say it's great. For $3 I would say that's a steal; too bad the lens can't really be used on the Pentax DSLR line unless you want to always shoot wide open.

But if you do shoot wide open the Fuji/Fujinon lenses are superb.