Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon Patent for sensor based SR!

WOW,

Canon has a patent for sensor based SR that looks like it will work with their IS lenses.

I would expect it would work with lenses that are not IS as well.

If Canon could show that the sensor IS along with lens IS is better then lens alone, they could continue to sell their lenses with IS, and add sensor IS for the primes that do not have it. too cool.

They could also justify the dual IS system because now they will have the ability to deal with the shake caused by camera rotation along the lens axis. I understand they just released (or are expected to release) a lens that has IS that deals with yaw motion. This means Canon could have an IS system that provides IS on 5 of the 6 degrees of freedom.

Canon Patent Application Shows Sensor-Based Image Stabilization Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

You never know when you will see patents appear, if ever, but this could be game changing in the Canon Vs. Nikon battle.

01-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's great news for people who use Sigma and Tamron lenses.
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't think this patent will go anywhere. They've spent the past decade telling people why in-lens stabilization is superior to in-body. They won't step back and admit they were wrong. Same reason why Nikon will never put in-body stabilization on their cameras.

They won't step "backward" in their view, or lose the $100+ premium VR/IS lenses demand.
01-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But if they can say that "in lens" plus "in body" is better then just "in lens", I think they will do it.

Remember that in lens SR came from the film erra. At the time there was no other way to do it. and it does work really well with film.

The lenses were for the most part already there when DSLR's were introduced.

They (Canon) also need to be aware of the gaining market share from Sony. Right now, not huge, but Sony is showing real intent to be a serious player in the market, and their cameras are all sensor based SR. Sony is also the only other DSLR builder that makes their own sensors (Samsung does not count). Long term Sony could be a real threat.

It would also be a major advantage over Nikon. Up until the introduction of the 7D, Canon showed little interest in compeating directly with Nikon. And during that time Nikon moved ahead with some very feature rich cameras with the D300, D3, D3s, D700. Canon on the otherhand only offered the top features in just the top cameras. I think Canon is changing their tune. With the introduction of the 5D mkii, and the 7D, we are seeing better features offered in the lower camera lines. Even the fact that Canon is adding new Video control functions to the 5D is a sign that Canon is interested in being a tech leader in the DSLR market.

As for the money they make of IS lenses vs non IS lenses, this is just a matter of repositioning the lenses in the market. Sell the IS lenses for 75 bucks less, and the non-IS lenses for 75 bucks more. Reduce the price diferrence between the two to match the resulting demand.

I think a 7D with sensor IS (call it the 8D) would be a game changer.

01-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seeing a patent application does not represent an intention to use that patent in their products. It merely means someone at the company came up with the idea, and they wanted to keep the idea theirs before anyone else thought it up. They'll most likely use this as a means of making money (by licensing it to other companies) or to crush any competitor who comes up with something too similar. That's how patents are used these days, whether software or not.
01-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I think a 7D with sensor IS (call it the 8D) would be a game changer.
For some reason people toss "game changer" around a lot lately. A 7D with sensor IS would be a temporary advantage for Canon until Nikon unveiled their D350s or whatever with the same thing. Now let's say Canon would out of the blue unveil a new modular EVF body where you can swap sensors and lens mounts around, with a very high res EVF, and associated bells and whistles, now THAT might indeed be considered a game changer.

People, it takes a LOT to really shake things up in the market. For a while everyone was convinced that a sub-$2k FF DSLR would clean up; Sony releases the A850 and we can all see how revolutionary that ended up being... now people dream of a sub-$1k FF body. Do you think the guy with a big pile of Canon or Nikon or Pentax glass will just jump into a different system because he can save a grand on the body? If you get serious about high performance photo gear the body will end up being a rather small part of your expense; the lenses, tripod(s), lighting gear, studio etc will eat up far more. $1k difference in the cost of the body isn't chump change, but not enough to get that many to jump ship.

As I've pointed out numerous times here, if you want sub-$1k FF, get a Canon 1Ds -- you can get them for $800-900, they have a nice big viewfinder, excellent AF performance, and still crank out great files. If you want great high ISO performance the latest crop bodies will give you that so I really don't see low light / high ISO being the main FF driver any longer... moreso being able to use FF glass "properly" and again, a nice big bright viewfinder. And if that's what you want, that option already is out there. But, I don't see people flocking to it, so I kind of doubt there's really THAT much of a demand for a "basic" FF cam.

Last edited by pingflood; 01-26-2010 at 08:24 PM.
01-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If by introducing in body SR, Canon causes Nikon to introduce in body SR, we would now have all five primary DSLR builders with in body SR.

The advantage (with regard to SR) held by Sony, Pentax, and Olympus is now gone. For allot of photographers, in body SR is the primary reason they are with a non-Canikon DSLR.

The "game" I am refering to is the battle between Nikon and Canon. So, maybe not a game change persay, maybe more of a rule admendment?

01-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Canikon both have new gear announcements due in February 2010

Canikon both have new gear announcements due in February 2010. Both companies love to launch new product around the Olympics.

I've seen Panasonic GH1 & GF having an advantage due to their articulated viewscreen for video use. Nikon was first of BigTwo to offer articulated viewscreen, but on low end dslr with lowend jello effects HD capture. Now Canon is rumoured to have two due to market. If Pentaxians can wait a couple more years maybe Canikon will have a shake reduction body to tempt them.

In a Canon forum elsewhere recently there was a poll & overwhelmingly the Canon owners DO NOT want inbody shake reduction. Mostly everyone there wants a 24-70mm 2.8 with IS inlens. High 1600 ISO today seems to trump the desire of a future shake reduction dslr in Eos Mount. As it is today one can buy 24-105mm f4 IS, 70-200mm 2.8IS, 300mm f4 and 2.8 IS and above in IS. Canon teleconverters properly adjust metadata and IS function. Theres nothing to input. Attach the lens or TC & lens and you're ready to shoot.

Really, the rumoured 24-70mm IS dream lens is the last lens needed to complete faster aperture IS lens line up. A few months ago Canon launched 100mm Macro with IS, long overdue to compete with Nikon's 105mm 2.8 VR Macro. If Canon or Nikon first offered shake reduction body then the other would soon follow.

Anyways heres the newest 2010 Rumours:

>>>"

2010 January

27th We received a comment that the 60D would be pushing the video side of things even more than the 7D.

Does this signify a slight divergance in market aims? We've already been told that Canon does not see the one series as their best video platform, but wants to keep the 5D2 and next year's 5D Mk3 as the top choice for DSLR video.

We're still waiting for more info as to whether a 3D will fit into the lineup. The interesting prospect suggested was:

1/3/7 series top "photographer's cameras" - with video
5/xxD series - significant for video (and stills too I'm assuming -kc)
I'm not sure about this one at all, just seems a bit too well planned ;-)

Meanwhile, at an Israeli forum there is suggestions that we will see a 550D (or 600D) and a 60D in the near future [via CR]

60D Specs

Articulating screen
Metal body, similar to 50D
Upgraded 15.1MP APS-C Sensor
720p/1080p Video @ 30fps
Electronic Level
New battery & battery grip
~$1190

550D/600D Specs

Articulating screen
Body smaller than 500D
Upgraded 15.1MP APS-C Sensor
720p Video @ 30fps
~$799

<<<"

Canon EOS 60D DSLR - what replaces the 50D

edit, added link

Last edited by Samsungian; 01-27-2010 at 07:16 AM.
01-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, I suppose I am in the minority of Canon owners who would welcome in-body IS as an addition to the in-lens one we alredy have. Sure, the 24-70/2.8 IS would be nice, but that leaves me without an 85/1.8 IS, 50/1.4 IS, 35/1.4 IS, yada yada, not to mention no IS for any of my adapted glass.

I honestly have no idea why they would rather NOT have it, since clearly the cost is not that great (look at how cheap Pentax and Olympus bodies can be), and there'd be no downsides to having it available.
01-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow, that would be cool to have Shake Reduction Body work with

Wow, that would be cool to have Shake Reduction Body work with my adapted mount lenses. Like my Adaptall2, Nikon, OM Olympus, ect...

Not sure how that benefits Canon, but that would be very cool for me and lessen my need to keep Pentax in my kit.

I see Nikon having more to gain with inbody shake reduction since my D700 works well with all my old Ai mount glass from 1977 foward. So I see Nikon offering it first, then Canon will respond.
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got home from the library, where I was reading an article in the latest Popular Photography on new trends in lenses (basically just a big advertisement like most of their articles, but vaguely interesting nonetheless). At the very end of the article, they clearly stated that some manufacturer of cameras and lenses, they wouldn't say who, was planning on revealing shortly some new products that would utilize both lens and sensor-based stabilization for abilities far above and beyond what is currently possible. They seemed quite excited about it and left little doubt that it might be a "maybe" sort of rumor.

Connect the dots?

Last edited by er1kksen; 01-28-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: I forgot to state which magazine :-D
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
WOW,

You never know when you will see patents appear, if ever, but this could be game changing in the Canon Vs. Nikon battle.
I'm hoping Pentax will come up straight through the middle, after Canon and Nikon finish each other off.
01-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm hoping Pentax will come up straight through the middle, after Canon and Nikon finish each other off.
What's with all the shouting?
01-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Or rather, what's with not letting us off-branders discuss things without the Pentax-rah-rah crew showing up?
01-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What I've noticed about Canon users, when asked if they want sensor based SR, most of them will say no.

The question is aways either or, it is never sensor SR with lens SR.

There is also allot of confusion as to what cameras actually offer Sensor SR. Most know Sony and olympus do, but very few know about Pentax SR.

There is also the opinion that lens based SR is far superior to sensoer based. Personally, I don't believe this, but it is a common argument. (note i say FAR better, not a little better).The best arguement I saw , claimed that sensor SR actually degraded the image quality because the processor was tied up keeping the sensor stable, that it had now processor power left to make a good image (?!).

I still think Canon will be the one to do it before Nikon. And its all about how it is marketed. I expect if it is introduced, it will be as if Canon invented the wheel. Just as an aside, I really find it funny how some Canon users are so single brand centric.