Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax lenses on Canon 5dmk2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi gang,

Long time no see.
To cut it short, I hate Canon glass (not a suprise I knew it from the very beginning but I needed the body).
There are some adapters around just like so
AF confirm to full frame.

Has anyone tried it?
I missed my 85mm, my 50mm, the 28-70mm star too but I doubt I could use that one.
Bottom line I want to use K or KA manual lenses on my 5D with Focus confirm and A mode.

Possible?
Thanks

02-11-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not possible without cutting the aperture lever& shield

Not possible without cutting the aperture lever& shield on pentax lense when mounted on full frame or asp-h.
Only aps-c canon can accept Pentax K Mount without mods due to its smaller mirror.

Sorry.

I like my Canon glass, what have you rejected so far ?
02-11-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd add, I do not like confirmation chip adapters

I'd add, I do not like confirmation chip adapters.

I've read of the occasional eos owner frying their camera when chip is bad, loose, or ?

I adapt nikon glass to old 5D classic and have no problem focusing. I get no confirmation, until afterward when I see my shot was perfectly focused.

Long story short, unless you want to cut off, disassemble/remove your K Mount aperture lever you cannot use Pentax glass on Canon 5D Mark II
02-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I miss the smoothness of the Pentax bokeh and I don't like the color rendition.
And I knew it since day 1 and way before, I just needed the high ISO and stuff on that body.
I'd rather use some Sigma primes (yeah you heard me) than the Canon EF. I've tried some Canon lenses 35mm f2, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 and I just don't like them...
I just got an old sigma 24mm superwide and I love it so maybe with Nikon, Zeiss and Sigma I could get something I really like!

Thanks

02-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

it certainly can be done, but some modifications need to be made to the mount, but the process to adapt the lens is not really described here.
some nice pictures were posted by a forum member a while back.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29917-pentax-f...-canon-5d.html
02-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
And I knew it since day 1 and way before, I just needed the high ISO and stuff on that body.
I'd rather use some Sigma primes (yeah you heard me) than the Canon EF. I've tried some Canon lenses 35mm f2, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 and I just don't like them...
I just got an old sigma 24mm superwide and I love it so maybe with Nikon, Zeiss and Sigma I could get something I really like!

Thanks
you're comparing the pentax -star- lineup to non L glass and you're complaining?
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote

Thanks
I can see not liking the 50 and 35, but the 85? I love that thing.

If you want more 'classic' rendering, pick up an OM->EF adapter and use Zuiko lenses. I have the 24/2.8, 28/3.5, 35/2 and 50/1.8 and they are all excellent.

Also, I am a little confused as to why you spent over $2k on a body when you don't like the Canon lenses. Why not get a D700? High ISO and Nikon glass if you prefer that.

02-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you're comparing the pentax -star- lineup to non L glass and you're complaining?
I can't speak for the other two lenses mentioned, but that 85mm f1.8 ain't nothin' to waggle your asterisks at. Top-notch glass, that is, just as much so as any other top-notch glass (like the pentax * lenses). All the same, the M 50mm f1.7 is about as good as well (at least my copy is). In fact, I want to use it on a higher-res Canon body.

And anyways, L just designates "expensive." There are cheaper Canon lenses that are optically just as good or better than some L lenses.
02-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sell the Pentax *s, buy used Canon Ls, and you have enough pocket change left for a small vacation. That's what I did anyways.

Kanibalizing good K mount lenses to use them on 5D2 in full manual is insane IMHO.

I use a few SMC M42 and Vivitar Series 1 primes with adapter on 5D2 just for fun, they are OK, but not more then that compared to L lenses.