Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon D3s , BEST Dslr ever tested at dpreview

Nikon D3s , BEST Dslr ever tested at dpreview.

Got the DPREVIEW "Gold" and if superior low light high iso isn't a need, then buy a "D700" instead

Nikon D3S Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

02-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have no doubt it's incredible. I would still leave it at home almost all the time and walk around with my K-x around my shoulder.
02-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I have no doubt it's incredible. I would still leave it at home almost all the time and walk around with my K-x around my shoulder.
K-x, 18-55 AL, M50mmf1.7, Sears 135mm f2.8

hmmm

are you the type of person who continuously convinces himself that you do not need a Mercedes while sitting behind the wheel of a Pontiac?

I will most certainly wager with you as to whether or not you will leave it at home if you were to have permanent access to it.
02-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its a great review, love the last statement

Its a great review, & I love their last statement:

>"

In terms of versatility, the Nikon D3S is the best DSLR we've ever tested, and the image quality in ultra low light is a major selling point. If you don't need to take advantage of the D3S's high ISO settings though, the D700/D300S offer better value

<"

For me D700 isn't that big without its grip attached. D300s is a tiny bit smaller.

K-x is way too small for me.

I've handled Pentax K-x locally at used store.
They've got several now!
Kinda funny as I cannot buy any brand new Pentax locally but I can now handle people's unwanted K-x (s) for more money used than new ones cost me at B&H & they're complete with warranty

02-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Strangely enough there no K-X trolls yet screaming about K-X's superiority in high-iso....

Sarcasm aside, I was fairly surprised to see that D300s stands fairly well against 12mp FF at base iso... In whole, reminds me a lot about the original D300 review...
02-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

base ISO tests are irrelevant

any camera can meet the generally required parameters of a "good photo" at iso 100/200
02-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
base ISO tests are irrelevant

any camera can meet the generally required parameters of a "good photo" at iso 100/200
Hear it goes....

Listen, if ISO 6400+ is your working range... well, good for your... I'm trying to keep mine as low as possible... rumor is, IQ is better this way...

02-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Hear it goes....

Listen, if ISO 6400+ is your working range... well, good for your... I'm trying to keep mine as low as possible... rumor is, IQ is better this way...
then you should be looking for a used Fuji S5Pro and never look back.
02-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Its a great review, & I love their last statement:

For me D700 isn't that big without its grip attached. D300s is a tiny bit smaller.
I have both a K-7 and a D700 and love them both, but the D700 is huge compared to the K-7. Not only is it huge, all of the accompanying lenses are fairly large.
02-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K-x, 18-55 AL, M50mmf1.7, Sears 135mm f2.8

hmmm

are you the type of person who continuously convinces himself that you do not need a Mercedes while sitting behind the wheel of a Pontiac?

I will most certainly wager with you as to whether or not you will leave it at home if you were to have permanent access to it.
Nope. I'm the kind of person who rides a bike everywhere .

My post wasn't meant as some sort of K-x-superiority plug, so I apologize if anyone misinterpreted it as such. The D3s is undeniably a superior camera for its intended purposes, but the K-x is the better camera for my purposes, a la the old adage "the best camera is the one you have with you." The same would ring true for me if I owned a 645D and a junky old 6mp digital rebel: the rebel would come with me most of the time.

My perspective on this may be somewhat different since I'm on the move most of the day and my K-x doesn't just go walking with me, or on my bike with me, it goes running with me. I simply could not run more than a mile or two with a D3s+lens. By the same token, if I had an E-P1 it would go with me more often than the K-x, even though I love the K-x's sensor so much.

Trying to draw conclusions on someone based on a current gear list may not be the greatest idea... I've owned "higher-end" equipment in the past and my current setup is adequate for most of the things I want to do these days. The end results are what I care about, and if I have to work a little harder to get them because I'm not using upper-level gear, so be it.

For the record: If I had a pontiac, I would get in, drive it to my destination, and get out. Isn't that what the darn thing is for? That's the same exact thing I would do with a Mercedes, too. The only difference between the two, for me, is price.
02-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

then you should be looking for a used Fuji S5Pro and never look back.
As long as you don't want large prints with fine detail. ;-) The DR and tonality is certainly fantastic, though.
02-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Some people are so happy living in "who's dick is bigger"-wonderland... I'm so happy for them...
02-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Some people are so happy living in "who's dick is bigger"-wonderland... I'm so happy for them...
so you know a lot about dick then?
02-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

so you know a lot about dick then?
I'd say I know enough... But hey, at least I can distinguish a photographer from a dickhead who spends more time masturbating about corner sharpness on forums than actually shooting...
02-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd say I know enough... But hey, at least I can distinguish a photographer from a dickhead who spends more time masturbating about corner sharpness on forums than actually shooting...
is that directed at me?

also, the word you are looking for here is "measurebator"