Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My new Toy

I have been following a few threads in other forums and I came to discover that these cams have quite the cult following. This is actually my second one. While Dropping off the film at the pro shop, I picked this one up. The charm is that you really don't know what you will get. Double exposers, light leaks, warped sides, etc. All plastic including the lenses...

Has anyone here ever used one?

03-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OOOO...Ahhhhh...a camo Holga with genuine "Optical Lens". The 60/8 is a classic to be sure! As for me, here is the cam of my dreams:
Fisheye / Overview
Steve
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ben's studio standard i believe you might like Lomo also.
03-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have one, and it's fun to play with. Once you've used it for a while though you know what you're getting out of it and can use the effect to your advantage rather than being "surprised" by the results.

I now prefer my "digital Holga" though.

03-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In my highschool's photo class there was a unit where we just worked with holgas (pinholes too, at one point). It was fun.

Just make sure you don't pay $90 for one at "Urban Outfitters," a horrifically trendy hipster fashion store...
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Once you've used it for a while though you know what you're getting out of it and can use the effect to your advantage rather than being "surprised" by the results.
What is the effect to be taken advantage of exactly?

Any sample shots Javier?
03-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Google 'Lomo photography' on the net and you get the idea

03-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote

Any sample shots Javier?
You've clearly never seen holga shots.

I have one and love it, but I lost the lens cap last Friday in a night club.
03-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote

Any sample shots Javier?
You're limited to one exposure setting (there's an "aperture switch" but on most Holgas it does nothing), and the plastic lens introduces large amounts of optical flaws that give the resulting shot a certain look.
03-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Yes, I have used and like the Holga. Some common mods were to:
- Cut (or dremmel) the film plane mask to go from 6x4.5 to 6x6 cm.
- Spray paint the inside of the camera flat black (reduce light bouncing). Use a piece of tape to cover the hole to the lens before starting.
- Fix the f-stop lever. I think this can be done by gluing a nut (or washer) to the lever with the right size hole.
- Use a piece of black tape over the red window and only lift it to advance the frame.
- Use a rubber band around the body to secure the back (prevent it from opening).
- Use a piece of scotch tape on the inside film plane surface (one on each side). This fixed the film scratches I got when advancing the frame.
One of my favorite film and dev combos for this camera was Ilford Delta 3200 with PMK. This will get you 800 ISO with some nice negatives. So I could shoot in overcast light and shadow without a problem. 320-400 ISO is better for bright or partly cloudy days. I also bought a pinhole holga from this place:
holga
They also have other mods including the plastic holga lens on a Pentax body cap. Looks interesting and should not be too difficult to make one yourself. I have some old shots with the holga here:
Rockefeller Skating Rink: Photo by Photographer Philippe Tempel - photo.net
Guardian of the City: Photo by Photographer Philippe Tempel - photo.net
Have fun with your new camera. ;-) One of my favorite holga photographers is Craig Sterling:
Italy | CRAIG STERLING PHOTOGRAPHY
Most of his shots in Venice, Italy with slight vignetting were done with a holga. Amazing what kind if images you can get out of a few plastic parts...
03-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

As an alternative to fixing the aperture lever, I wonder if you couldn't stick a piece of red filter gel on it and have a switchable filter that would also let you drop the exposure a bit -- e.g. a red filter would get you 2-3 stops so you could use faster film and still shoot in bright light when needed without blowing it out entirely. Similar result to an aperture change but you'd also get the filter effect.
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
As an alternative to fixing the aperture lever, I wonder if you couldn't stick a piece of red filter gel on it and have a switchable filter that would also let you drop the exposure a bit -- e.g. a red filter would get you 2-3 stops so you could use faster film and still shoot in bright light when needed without blowing it out entirely. Similar result to an aperture change but you'd also get the filter effect.
Yeah, you can throw a gel filter in there. But maybe you would want it to be a neutral density gel so it doesn't influence the colors. I'd still opt to fix the f-stop lever and try screwing on a 46mm to 49mm step up ring to the front of the lens. If the step up ring works, then you have the flexibility for 49mm filters and rubber hoods. Here's a page that talks about the filter options:

Holga Techniques: Using Filters
03-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

As opposed to dremeling the film plane mask, you could check into the interchangeable film plane masks that come with most holgas... a friend of mine recently bought a holga which came with both a 6x4.5 and 6x6 mask which you just pop in and out of the back. I don't know if older holgas have that capacity but if it's recent enough to be in camo... idk.
03-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Ben's studio standard i believe you might like Lomo also.
I heard Ben was using this one now. Made by Fuji, you know.
Attached Images

03-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
I heard Ben was using this one now. Made by Fuji, you know.
That camera is FULL FRAME!!!111