Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA lens on EOS mount?

I know it's possible to mount full-manual lenses on the EF-S mount using this adapter:

But my question now is, if i were to mount a DA lens such as the 14mm [IF] prime, would i be able to control the aperture from the camera?

I know on the M series primes I've tried on a Rebel XS you can just use the aperture ring and the camera stops it down when you take a shot, but obviously the DA lens doesn't have any way to manually control he aperture...

03-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually when there is a demand, people get creative and think of something. But the demand only comes from a need (or in most cases) or an advantage. I have seen people converted the 43 Ltd lens to fit the 5D - that is the need as there is no FF for Pentax mount at the moment. The advantage of using M lens on Pentax is that it comes with SR, but that is no such advantage to put it in the XSi.
03-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
well the reason i'm asking is because i'm thinking of getting a T2i for shooting video projects, and i would like a nice wide prime for shooting certain scenes, that i could also use on my MX for creative vignette shots.

unfortunately most of the older manual lenses aren't so "wide" when you mount them on a 1.6x crop body. My M-28mm F2.8, which has a big FOV on my MX, will have close-to normal perspective on a T2i.
03-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is no way to control the aperture of DA lenses via EOS body. Everything must be done manually. You can however, use A mode on EOS body so that you only need to adjust the focus and aperture only. I happen to have this same adaptor and found the aperture of my FA lenses won't fully stopped down. What happens is the focus screen section of the EOS body blocks the aperture lever. To solve the problem, I drilled another hole so that it locks in place a little sooner. Still, only those PK lenses with aperture rings can be used, or you might preset the lever at the rear of DA lenses with some creative solution.

03-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Damn Brit

@OP, discussing Pentax lenses on non-Pentax mount cameras should be done in the Off Brand forum.
Please be careful where you start threads, thanks.
03-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
@wlachan, thanks that helps a lot...I couldn't find information on this anywhere.