Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Soooo Canon is the the only dslr manufacturer that also makes their own sensors?

There must be some benefits/synergy to this - surely?

03-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Sony, Panasonic also make sensors

Sony, Panasonic also make sensors

Sony launched a full frame for $1999 and selling sensors to Nikon, eventually Pentax gets to buy these sensors, like are/were installed K-x, K10D, DS2, ect...

Panasonic is controlling their own manufacturing destiny with m4/3 and they're selling sensors to Olympus. Panasonic does this all while being "Made In Japan" too. I like that. they are quite proud of that, as I've seen their Panasonic Map of Japan manufacturing plants posted a month or so ago

I've never read Canon sells their sensors to other companies.
I've never read Canon sells the glass they create for their lenses to other companies, like Hoya does.
03-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Soooo Canon is the the only dslr manufacturer that also makes their own sensors?

Well, the answer is "may be/could be". When you have you own facility to produce the product, do you get the benefit of "best of the breed"? You are pretty much have to make do what your other group produce. I thought about an example during the last decade when Nortel pretty much supplied all the telephone equipment to Bell Canada. Even if there is a better product out there in the market, you can not use them because you are jointed in the hip with the sister company. Yes, if the other group gets a great product, you have the advantage; on the other hand, if they have below average product, you just can not compete. But, I gather that Canon sensors are pretty good (at least that is what I heard from Canon users anyway).
03-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

I'd imagine there's a cost benefit, as well as being able to engineer the camera as a complete system in every aspect instead of having to engineer it around a particular sensor specification. I'd also think that parallel development of sensor and other camera tech would be easier rather than having to wait until sensors are market ready from other companies.