Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-7 to Nikon D700 thoughts

Here's some ideas for someone who's considering a D700 who already owns Pentax K-7 & lenses.

Thoughts offered are from Nikon gear owners, not Pentaxians.

I think I'm moving over. Ideas? - FM Forums

04-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
interesting. I've considered moving over to Canon or Nikon for the increased ISO performance and autofocus (since that's the kind of shots I do), but for me to upgrade and sell my Pentax gear is VERY expensive!!

I think upgrading to another brand is subjective to price differentials and costs. If I were to move over to something else, it would have to be a major upgrade with some very major reasons to move. Moving brands is not cheap and the Pentax seems to do a decent job of most of what I do anyways at the moment.

But let me shoot a few more assignments and maybe I'll change my tune

I find that Pentax holds its own very well in the price bracket for which it was intended.
Once you go up higher, Pentax doesn't yet have anything to offer beyond the K-7 and that's where Canon and Nikon currently reign supreme with full frame offerings and other crazy camera goodieS.
04-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I find that Pentax holds its own very well in the price bracket for which it was intended.
Once you go up higher, Pentax doesn't yet have anything to offer beyond the K-7 and that's where Canon and Nikon currently reign supreme with full frame offerings and other crazy camera goodieS.
Unfamiliar with Canon & Nikon lenses, but I assume once you move from small-sensor to full frame, you'd have to upgrade (most of) your lenses too - and thus, while sticking to one brand, it isn't necessarily much cheaper.

Upgrading to the 645D will soon be possible for Pentax owners—there is life after the K7. Not that it will be cheaper! Unless you already use 645 lenses on Pentax dslr-s.

Ultimately, however, there must be a real professional need for changing gear and brand, since in most cases the eye outshines the gear. Great pictures were taken half a century ago. Only technically impressive pictures are flooding our screens today too often.
04-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Man, look at all he's giving up for what he's getting with the Nikon D700. To me, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade**, but I'm sure he'll be able to build from there. If I had an account over there, I'd tell him to keep one of his Pentax cameras and one of his wide lenses to hold him over until he can afford a good wide lens for the Nikon. 50 mm on full frame still isn't that wide.

** Fully recognizing, of course, that the D700 is a great camera and an upgrade over the camera bodies he already has.

04-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting trade, but couldn't he have fetched more for his pentax gear?
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

totally agree that there needs to be a real professional reason to change brand and gear as it's a very expensive move.

I absolutely love full frame but do not love its extreme costs.
04-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #7

Low-light, high-ISO AF and IQ performance seems to be his requirement. He dismissed considering a D300 for that reason, and started with a D700 as enough to make the move. His requirements also look like they would remove consideration of the 645D as well. I thought his logic was sound, including the inertia to overcome to actually make a move.

04-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
emr

Well, if he sells his Pentax stuff, I believe he knows where to go, after all being a member here.

PentaxForums.com - View Profile: Dubious Drewski
04-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

feedtroll

04-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjsmith Quote
Low-light, high-ISO AF and IQ performance seems to be his requirement. He dismissed considering a D300 for that reason, and started with a D700 as enough to make the move. His requirements also look like they would remove consideration of the 645D as well. I thought his logic was sound, including the inertia to overcome to actually make a move.
agreed. maybe for us it may not be the best move, but for him it seemed like the good move.

Maybe for us it will be the good move soon! I myself am not sure I can stick with Pentax for too long if they keep raising lens prices!