Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

New Nikons

Interesting new rumors about the Nikons about to come out, would love to know if they are updating, improving the D90. From NikonRumors.com:

QuoteQuote:
I can definitely tell that the rumors chatter started to pick up in the last few days after it was dead for a month. Something is definitely coming – I already started to see the first signs of an imminent announcement (Nikon AF-S 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED VR lens) which could happen as soon as the end of April. The next step will be to get the exact date for the scheduled Nikon press conference.
This is the latest info I got: 3 new Nikon DSLR cameras are in the pipeline. One of them will be an entry level model (probably D4000).
The second camera will have:
  • 39 AF points
  • it will be 16 MP with 6400 ISO + HI2 position
  • 24 fps 1920/1080 video
  • it will have an optional (new) MB-D11 grip
I do not have any info on sensor size, exact model name or release date – this could be Nikon’s plan for the whole year (2010).
It is interesting to note that the current PRO DSLR line from Nikon has 51 AF points. The Nikon D90 has 11 AF points. The AF of this rumored camera falls in between, which means (if true) it will either be:
  • the replacement of the Nikon D90 (DX sensor inside)
  • a new product line that will fit between the D90 and the PRO level cameras (I consider the D300s, D700 and D3s to be PRO level)
  • Nikon D700 replacement – that means that there will be no ISO improvements and the AF points will drop from 51 to 39 (FX sensor) but you will gain video and 4 extra MP.
FYI: Nikon D90 and D300s have a standard ISO of 3200, the Nikon D700 has a standard ISO of 6400 (same as the rumored camera).
No word on what the third camera will be.
[NR] Rumor rating: 75% possibility

04-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the off-brand section. If you'd further like to discuss Nikon, please visit our new canon/nikon forum, at CanikonForums.com - Canon and Nikon Forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's interesting to see how these rumors will start to materalize and then see what actually ends up coming out in about six months or so.

Some of these things that the rumor states are just wishful thinking, like the 39 point AF in an entry level camera (maybe more speculation to if it's the D90X or something, who knows what they're going to do now that they've run out of numbers for their cameras, how about the D900? Oh wait, that's the D700's successor, or something.

Anyways, if it is an entry level camera, expect it to have maybe some of these, but the rest stripped down so that they can layer them (the D4000 and the D6000 I would assume would be the lower and the higher class respectively).

It's an interesting rumor, though.
04-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What a bull**** replacement if that's for D700. 12mpix -> 16mpix is not THAT different and then, another battery grip damn it.

04-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
What a bull**** replacement if that's for D700. 12mpix -> 16mpix is not THAT different and then, another battery grip damn it.
It won't be a replacement for the D700, if you'll notice it has a top ISO of 6400, and a High 2 option, which would only be 25,600. They would put it all the way up to 102,400 if it was the D700 replacement. That's what makes me think that this is the D90 replacement (which is about due, I suppose).

The important question here still remains, what number will it have?
04-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love camera spec rumor threads. People just add numbers in what they think is a logical progression of improvement even if nothing they say makes sense as a whole.

Example: Our old Nikon camera is 12 mp. The Canon 7D is 18 mp. Therefore, the next Nikon has got to be umm... 16 mp, that sounds about right.

Not saying that a camera won't be released with these specifications. I am more commenting on camera rumors in general.
04-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

D700 is slowing dropping off the system

D700 is slowly dropping off the system.
I assume Nikon will replace it.

They can reset the launch price at $3,000 and maybe Nikon off shore its production to boost more profits like they just did with 105mm macro VR.
Now that lens is made in China instead of Japan and it got a price increase too

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/04/13/nikkor-af-s-105mm-f2-8g-ed-if-vr-micro-len...-in-china.aspx

As it is my D700 is "made in japan".