Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Fujifilm S Pro Series Cameras

Has anyone ever used one of these? I've always been intrigued by the Super CCD sensor that they use, but unfortunately most of their older cameras are just old Nikon film cameras converted to digital, and they are far too big and bulky for me. The only problem is that the newest one (the S5 Pro) is a re badged D200, and Fujifilm isn't letting anyone forget that, especially with the price. The used prices are still in the $600-$800 range but I would love to get one of these cameras eventually. I think they would be great for landscape photos especially, and I can think of a lot of other uses for one.

04-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The only problem is that the newest one (the S5 Pro) is a re badged D200.

Err... what?
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Err... what?
I mean that in the nicest way, of course! It's a rebadged D200 in the body design, but as you can see from the rest of my post, that's an incredibly good thing and you can tell some of the differences by the fact that it's pretty much an entirely different camera on the inside. I just meant that the D200 is still pretty expensive, and that doesn't help matters when it comes to this camera.
04-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #4

Has anyone ever used one of these? I've always been intrigued by the Super CCD sensor that they use, but unfortunately most of their older cameras are just old Nikon film cameras converted to digital, and they are far too big and bulky for me. The only problem is that the newest one (the S5 Pro) is a re badged D200, and Fujifilm isn't letting anyone forget that, especially with the price. The used prices are still in the $600-$800 range but I would love to get one of these cameras eventually. I think they would be great for landscape photos especially, and I can think of a lot of other uses for one.
Greetings from Baguio City, Philippines!

I own one and it has been a pleasure to use since the day I got it. It has consistently given me great jpeg results that I can use straight from the camera. Here are sample pictures I got from day 1 My First Day with the Finepix S5 Pro Photo Gallery by Noli Gabilo at pbase.com. The maintenance counter says I already shot 156900 pictures today and it's still going strong. The only parts I changed so far are the rubber parts in the grip. I intend to use it as long as it can alongside my trusty K10D and IR converted K100D. Cheers!

04-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Georla Quote
Greetings from Baguio City, Philippines!

I own one and it has been a pleasure to use since the day I got it. It has consistently given me great jpeg results that I can use straight from the camera. Here are sample pictures I got from day 1 My First Day with the Finepix S5 Pro Photo Gallery by Noli Gabilo at pbase.com. The maintenance counter says I already shot 156900 pictures today and it's still going strong. The only parts I changed so far are the rubber parts in the grip. I intend to use it as long as it can alongside my trusty K10D and IR converted K100D. Cheers!
Wow! How much did you buy it for? I've been seeing them used for about $550-$700 so it's just out of my affordable range, but I really would like to get one of these. How do you think the high ISO noise is? That's one of the biggest complaints that I've heard about it. Also, do you think it's fairly slow, that's the other complaint that I hear the most about the camera.
04-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #6

I bought it brand new for roughly USD 2000 in May of 2007. At ISO 400 it is still fine with me. I occasionally use 800 and 1600 ISO but grain is already apparent and compared to the latest models, that's already grainy. It is slow but I rarely shoot in continuous mode. I use single shot even when I do sports Login | Facebook. Cheers!
04-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I mean that in the nicest way, of course! It's a rebadged D200 in the body design, but as you can see from the rest of my post, that's an incredibly good thing and you can tell some of the differences by the fact that it's pretty much an entirely different camera on the inside. I just meant that the D200 is still pretty expensive, and that doesn't help matters when it comes to this camera.
Yeah, the body is a D200 but the Fuji CCD is the heart of it and it basically makes it a whole different beast.

To address your original question: I would not pick this for a landscape camera. The resolution is just too low compared to the competition and for landscapes people often expect high resolution and lots of detail. It's a fantastic camera for portraits/weddings (especially weddings where you deal with the white dress / black tux thing and the extra DR can help out) though.

For landscapes I'd look at maybe a 5D, or 1Ds if you are OK with shooting at lower ISOs. They produce pretty great files even compared to the current FF cams.

04-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

be careful when buying S5 cameras as the battery for some strange reason is NOT the same as the D200 / D300. massive fail there.
04-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, the body is a D200 but the Fuji CCD is the heart of it and it basically makes it a whole different beast.

To address your original question: I would not pick this for a landscape camera. The resolution is just too low compared to the competition and for landscapes people often expect high resolution and lots of detail. It's a fantastic camera for portraits/weddings (especially weddings where you deal with the white dress / black tux thing and the extra DR can help out) though.

For landscapes I'd look at maybe a 5D, or 1Ds if you are OK with shooting at lower ISOs. They produce pretty great files even compared to the current FF cams.
I think that six megapixels is enough to do anything if you really want to, just adding more numbers on the end of 3008x2000 isn't going to make your photos any better or anything. I know what you mean, it's nicer to have it though, but I wouldn't count out this camera just because of that.
04-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It depends on what you want to do with it, but if you plan on doing large prints for sale be prepared for people getting their nose to the prints when it comes to landscape shots. At 16x20 or 20x30 the 6mp will start falling apart upon close inspection. And don't ask me why, but most people like a LOT of detail in their landscapes. And if you're spending that kind of money, I would really consider a used 1Ds or even a crop camera with higher res, assuming landscape work is your primary goal and you want to print bigger than 11x14.
04-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It depends on what you want to do with it, but if you plan on doing large prints for sale be prepared for people getting their nose to the prints when it comes to landscape shots. At 16x20 or 20x30 the 6mp will start falling apart upon close inspection. And don't ask me why, but most people like a LOT of detail in their landscapes. And if you're spending that kind of money, I would really consider a used 1Ds or even a crop camera with higher res, assuming landscape work is your primary goal and you want to print bigger than 11x14.
Well to be honest I just wanted the camera because it looked cool and the sensor sounds really nice. I guess I kind of fell into the gimmicky stuff though, didn't I? There was someone on Flickr who takes some awesome photos with this camera though, I would love to take some photos like theirs, and they do mostly landscapes too.
04-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #12

I use this also for my landscape and seascape pictures and have sold quite a number of large prints with it (24inx72in or larger) printed on art canvass. The colors and details are great!
04-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
be careful when buying S5 cameras as the battery for some strange reason is NOT the same as the D200 / D300. massive fail there.
You're right k100d. I use the proprietary Fujifilm NP-150 as the Nikon equivalent will not work on it. Third party Li-ion brands also work as well as 6 AA batteries. I use Sanyo eneloops.
04-24-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After this you need to get one of those Kodak full-frames, follow through on that E-410, grab a Panny L1 (awesome camera), and we'll let you skip Sony if you get a Konica-Minolta 7D. Then you'll have collected all the different camera brands!

It really does kind of amuse me whenever I see your threads about wanting to buy/having bought a camera from yet another brand, it seems almost like you're collecting them... and I think most of the amusement comes from knowing that I would love to do the same.
04-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
After this you need to get one of those Kodak full-frames, follow through on that E-410, grab a Panny L1 (awesome camera), and we'll let you skip Sony if you get a Konica-Minolta 7D. Then you'll have collected all the different camera brands!

It really does kind of amuse me whenever I see your threads about wanting to buy/having bought a camera from yet another brand, it seems almost like you're collecting them... and I think most of the amusement comes from knowing that I would love to do the same.
Oh I don't collect any of them, I try them out, decide I don't like them, and then sell them. It's just a cycle that I go through. The L1 is an ugly camera to me, though. I don't like it at all really considering how big it is and how it's kind of a Leica licensed knock off camera that is too big for its own size. The E-410 is still tempting too though.