Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
think i'll definitely have to try a few shots and see what it's like.

K20D is pretty good at up to 1600 ISO, but then the noise starts to kick in hard O_o...

04-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
You like to carry your 1.5kg+ camera everywhere? I guess you have a close friend who is a chiropractor. And why would the 5D have died exactly?

I think a used 5D MK1 represents very good value for money.
Sorry for the late response; been moving overseas and haven't had much time to check the forums.

I use an R-strap for my rig, which practically makes it disappear -- I can carry a 1Ds II + 24-105 all day and not even notice it. So the weight doesn't bother me, though I would imagine that lugging the beast around on a neck strap would not be fun.

And as for why a 5D would've died... my 1Ds II has seen salt water, sand, heavy rain, mud, and quite a bit more. It's never missed a beat. I think the 5D is a great camera, but for some people like me it's not the right choice.
05-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Should anyone still be interested in the original question....

I bought a used 5D after shooting with a Canon 20D and various L lenses for two years.

Not only did I dislike the 5D, the experience ultimately caused me to move over to Pentax.

The 5D was heavy and awkward to use and felt tinny. The viewfinder info was unreadable in daylight. And I could find no difference in image quality between the 5D and 20D for the photos I take, which are handheld at around 400 ISO. Side by side 12x18 prints showed no difference. Both were excellent.

The good news is, I now own a K-7, which I love. It also produces excellent photos but is more fun to use.
05-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
interesting experience. I found that while digital full frame viewfinders are large, they are still not as clear and as nice as my old film cameras. They're more like "APS-C viewfinder PLUS".

Even though my hands are big, I found the size of the K-7 (and K20D) to be spot on and perfect for my hands! K-7 seems to sit very nicely and I can lug it around all day.

Full frame cameras are nice, but i find them to be a bit bigger... and perhaps slightly too big to swing around all day.