Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Used Canon 5D Mark I's?

I'm considering going the full frame route but cannot see myself buying a Canon 5D Mark II because of the price. I love the full frame of old-school film cameras and love the look of a fast 50mm on FF and, now that I'm shooting lots of events which need good low-light AF and good clean images at high ISO, I'm beginning to full it's more of a need than just a desire.

Curious on people's experience with Canon 5D Mark I's and what people think of buying them now? I'm weary of buying an older camera because I'm not sure if it'll be reliable or if it will last.

04-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well although I haven't used one of these cameras personally, it is definitely my dream camera to someday own. Seriously this thing is incredibly tough and will last for many years. I know a ton of great photographers who have put thousands of photos on their 5D and the camera still is able to keep up. It has no dust reduction, so prepare to clean your sensor, the LCD is only 2.5 inches, which is big enough for me, and there's an incredibly sturdy body, actually I think it feels sturdier than the new 5D Mark II honestly. I would definitely get this camera, it is so reliable.
04-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They're an absolute steal at around $1000 in many places.
04-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I handled a $1075 5D yesterday at camera shop

I handled a $1075 5D yesterday at camera shop, just back from Canon for CLA and shop has 6 month warranty on it. Serial number started with 1 so its a 2005 early 2006 body. Both my 5D start with serial number 3 so they are 2008 vintage.

If I didn't own a 5D or two I would have wanted to buy it. It was complete with box, cables, software discs , charger, battery ,ect.

$1000 full frames are compelling.

04-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great camera, be sure Canon has done the mirror fix on it though.

Me, I'd get a 1Ds for a couple of hundred less. I like to carry my rig everywhere and a 5D would've died by now.
04-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well although I haven't used one of these cameras personally, it is definitely my dream camera to someday own. Seriously this thing is incredibly tough and will last for many years. I know a ton of great photographers who have put thousands of photos on their 5D and the camera still is able to keep up. It has no dust reduction, so prepare to clean your sensor, the LCD is only 2.5 inches, which is big enough for me, and there's an incredibly sturdy body, actually I think it feels sturdier than the new 5D Mark II honestly. I would definitely get this camera, it is so reliable.
how can you know one feels sturdier than the other if you have never used one personally? you seem to know a lot about something you know nothing about.
04-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Occasionally people get impressions of build quality by, erm, holding the cameras in question. This does not, however, require ownership of said cameras. I've played with a 1D iii owned by my friend, as well as a D200 owned by another friend, and an E-410 owned by yet another, and a Rebel XS owned by my girlfriend. These have allowed me to gather observations on their build quality, despite having merely handled most of them without owning or even making use of them.

04-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
how can you know one feels sturdier than the other if you have never used one personally? you seem to know a lot about something you know nothing about.
I have tried both cameras out, actually. The 5D Mark II feels sturdy, but it doesn't quite feel as sturdy and strong (like you're holding metal instead of plastic) as the original 5D, which has that feeling. They used the same kind of coatings on the outside of it as the Rebel series, at least that is how it felt like to me when I used either camera.
04-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had a quick chance to hold a Canon 5D Mark II. Such a beautiful camera, but... is it just me or is the viewfinder not that much bigger than my K20D?? I was expecting something along the lines of my old film camera but... it's not... Did I just go crazy?

The AF is really really nice though. And the shutter sound is neat but still rather loud compared to the K-7. haha
04-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I had a quick chance to hold a Canon 5D Mark II. Such a beautiful camera, but... is it just me or is the viewfinder not that much bigger than my K20D?? I was expecting something along the lines of my old film camera but... it's not... Did I just go crazy?

The AF is really really nice though. And the shutter sound is neat but still rather loud compared to the K-7. haha
I 5D2 VF is like 50% bigger then of K10/20.
AF is quite nice and accurate with center point, can miss with other AF points.
Sensor kick a** at all ISO.
Screen kick a** as well, I can actually pixelpeep on it.
Flash system works quite well, although I am using it only in M mode, but this is not really Manual mode in Canon world

Shutter is quite loud.
All the buttons are in the wrong place
The most AF-unpredictable lens in lineup is 24-70 2.8L, although by Pentax standards it is not big deal.

These are my observations after almost 1 year of use.

Last edited by awo425; 04-26-2010 at 09:22 AM.
04-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sounds interesting. I would love the VF and the ISO.
Interesting that it can miss with some AF points. Guess there's always something wrong with a camera system none are perfect!
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Occasionally people get impressions of build quality by, erm, holding the cameras in question. This does not, however, require ownership of said cameras.

True. But which is it? This?
Well although I haven't used one of these cameras personally.....

Or this?
I have tried both cameras out, actually.

I think Seamuis had it right all along.
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you seem to know a lot about something you know nothing about.

Last edited by Jodokast96; 04-27-2010 at 02:57 PM.
04-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Me, I'd get a 1Ds for a couple of hundred less. I like to carry my rig everywhere and a 5D would've died by now.
You like to carry your 1.5kg+ camera everywhere? I guess you have a close friend who is a chiropractor. And why would the 5D have died exactly?

I think a used 5D MK1 represents very good value for money.
04-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote

Or this?
04-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by er1kksen
Occasionally people get impressions of build quality by, erm, holding the cameras in question. This does not, however, require ownership of said cameras.

QuoteQuote:
Or this?

QuoteQuote:
I don't see what is so difficult about this. Using a camera for one's own work, making images with it, can easily be a totally seperate thing from "handling" or "trying out" a camera (I gave my own example of trying out a 1D but not using one for any of my own work).

It's not a one-or-the-other situation. Both statements can be valid without contradicting each other.