Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #1

Bronica ETRSi

I recently bought a Bronica ETRSi and I have to say I'm in love. Yeah it took getting used to. First off, I thought it wasn't working correctly because everytime I fired the shutter, the noise I heard seemed to have the same duration, ie all one speed. Well what I heard was the mirror slap, not the shutter.........which is pretty dang quiet. Also love the lens, I got a 40mm, 50mm, and a 150mm. I went ahead and bought several backs and a metered prism and its been alot of fun. BUT...........processing costs shocked me. You really have to shop around, and of course wait. I am so spoiled by the instant gratification of a digital camera. The Bronica has definitely slowed me way down, don't want to waste film on a so so shot, and I think about the exposure and composition a bit more. I love my Pentax gear, alot...........but the infatuation phase I have for the Bronica is making me reach for the Pentax less these days.
My first roll was ho hum.........a couple of passable shots, happy mistakes. Learning how to manipulate the controls to get a good capture is WAY fun............any other Bronica folks out there?
I'm thinking that the Bronica will make me a better Pentax shooter............just because!

04-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Well, if you shoot B/W you can drop the processing cost by developing yourself! I've been learning that in school, and to get past summer I'm getting my own gear (which will mostly be beakers and stuff for the chemicals, already got a box). Once the negatives are ready, I just scan them.

Medium format is a blast, isn't it?!
04-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long long time Bronica ETR shooter here. Until recently I had not used it in several years, because of the processing costs as you discovered. I finally gave up on being able to afford a LEAF digital back for it and have begun shooting B&W again and developing the film myself. I got an Epson V500 scanner this past Christmas but have been too busy since then to try it out.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Mike
04-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Had an SQA with the 80, 150, prism finder and 2 backs many years ago.

04-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had a fleet of three at one time, did all my wedding work on them for a company called Wedding Services who were owned by Kodak. We were given 20 films per wedding and expected to use around 10-12 rolls to provide at least 80 images for the bride to choose from, which basically meant that half the pictures had to be good enough for keeping. All done by manual focussing and metering using three prime lenses. Now we have idiots out there insisting they need 2,000 digital shots to be able to put an album together. Laughable, if it wasn't so pathetic.
04-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Used to have one ETRsi, with 40, 75 and 200, two backs and metered prism. The Zenzanon 200mm is brilliant! Traded for Pentax 645n recently, because of AF, better metering and handling and... it's a Pentax! But really liked using it, it's a solid piece of gear and gives great results.

As for processing costs, learn to DIY B&W (not that hard) and buy an Epson V500, a Canon 8800f or similar. I process colour and slide at home too, which brings the costs down, but that's not so easy to do and the initial investment is not so cheap.