Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member
alexeyga's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 838
When is the D90's replacement coming out?

Just wondering.... D300s is a bit of an overkill for me... D90 would have been so much better, but it's outdated... when it's replacement is coming out?

That said, I was looking an the 550D the other day.... Dumb Nikon... they still haven't realized that if somebody needs D300's capability in D3000's body for D3000's price... they won't buy a d300... they gonna get a Rebel because Nikon's low-end is castrated...

05-31-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
If you don't absolutely need video you could get a Nikon D300 for a relatively cheap amount.
05-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member
tokyoso's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 723
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Just wondering.... D300s is a bit of an overkill for me... D90 would have been so much better, but it's outdated... when it's replacement is coming out?

That said, I was looking an the 550D the other day.... Dumb Nikon... they still haven't realized that if somebody needs D300's capability in D3000's body for D3000's price... they won't buy a d300... they gonna get a Rebel because Nikon's low-end is castrated...
should be just around the corner. nikons hold their resale up very well tho.
06-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Just wondering.... D300s is a bit of an overkill for me... D90 would have been so much better, but it's outdated... when it's replacement is coming out?

That said, I was looking an the 550D the other day.... Dumb Nikon... they still haven't realized that if somebody needs D300's capability in D3000's body for D3000's price... they won't buy a d300... they gonna get a Rebel because Nikon's low-end is castrated...
Latest rumor is one FX and one DX body coming soon, I think I read during the summer. Nikonrumors speculate it's D700 replacement and D90 because they are the oldest. Imho that sound weird because the D300 and D90 had the same sensors didn't they? Don't D300s use the same to? If they upgrade the D90 and put in the rumored 39 point AF or whatever it was won't that put it pretty close to the D300s and rather tempting for some? Would seem smarter to upgrade D300s first so it matched up against the 7D or outperformed it and then release a stripped down version later as the D90 imho.

I don't get the last part of your text. They don't sell both the D300s and D300 do they? And you use 's. But no, they can't buy that ... as written. The 550D is nowhere close to the D300s though so I don't get it at all.

06-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
should be just around the corner. nikons hold their resale up very well tho.
Not here, a new D90 is 8700 SEK, a new D90 but from someone selling it on a webpage for used items is 4000-5200 SEK.
06-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 8
I like the D90 files over the D300, having used both...D300 better body I know but noise is an issue in blue skies at base iso. At the end of the day it"s the file that matters to me.
06-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member
alexeyga's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 838
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote

I don't get the last part of your text. They don't sell both the D300s and D300 do they? And you use 's. But no, they can't buy that ... as written. The 550D is nowhere close to the D300s though so I don't get it at all.
I was just yapping for no other reason but to express my inability to understand WTF Nikon is thinking about... Though a 550D would have been a possibility for me if a)it wasn't for the white canon lenses and b)i didn't have any Nikon glass already...

QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
Latest rumor is one FX and one DX body coming soon, I think I read during the summer. Nikonrumors speculate it's D700 replacement and D90 because they are the oldest. Imho that sound weird because the D300 and D90 had the same sensors didn't they? Don't D300s use the same to? If they upgrade the D90 and put in the rumored 39 point AF or whatever it was won't that put it pretty close to the D300s and rather tempting for some? Would seem smarter to upgrade D300s first so it matched up against the 7D or outperformed it and then release a stripped down version later as the D90 imho.
D300s is actually due for an upgrade as well, but not as much as the D90... and so is the D700... 5D competitor when 5DII is due for a facelift.... good morning Nikon... That said, a D90's replacement with a little more MP, better video and faster AF would be really tempting... really... though, rumors are, it will come just as castrated as it's little D40-D5000 brothers... with no internal AF motor....

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
If you don't absolutely need video you could get a Nikon D300 for a relatively cheap amount.
Actually video is just as important as stills for me... One of the reasons i'm ruling out the D90... it uses a much more destructive codec in comparison to the D300s... otherwise i would've gotten on a long time ago....

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
should be just around the corner. nikons hold their resale up very well tho.
Only the high-end models... I still remember selling a D200 for 800$ 2 years ago... people are still paying 650-750$ for them... ????!!! have no idea why... D90-s on the other hand were dropping a lot lately... I've seen them going for as low as 500$US lately with low millage...

Last edited by alexeyga; 06-01-2010 at 08:37 PM.
06-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
There were some rumors around PMA that Nikon was going to come out with its own EVIL camera line. Did anything ever come of that? I would think that would fit right into the D90/D5000 camera range.

06-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,103
Nikon D8000 may replace D90 | Electronista
06-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
Not here, a new D90 is 8700 SEK, a new D90 but from someone selling it on a webpage for used items is 4000-5200 SEK.
And this night there was a D90 with 18-135 + 18-200 VR for 4300 SEK.

I didn't got it it seems .
No mail reply (and I was vague as always ..) and the ad is gone

A Pentax k-x new with no lens cost just above 5000 sek. I never see any used k-x or k7s :/
06-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by legboy Quote
I like the D90 files over the D300, having used both...D300 better body I know but noise is an issue in blue skies at base iso. At the end of the day it"s the file that matters to me.
Dxomark gives better ratings for everything on the D90 vs D300 and D300s to.
06-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
D300s is actually due for an upgrade as well, but not as much as the D90... and so is the D700... 5D competitor when 5DII is due for a facelift.... good morning Nikon... That said, a D90's replacement with a little more MP, better video and faster AF would be really tempting... really... though, rumors are, it will come just as castrated as it's little D40-D5000 brothers... with no internal AF motor....
But now this night when I looked at Nikon lenses kinda all of them seemed to be AF-S anyway. Maybe it's an issue if one have or want to buy old lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
D90-s on the other hand were dropping a lot lately... I've seen them going for as low as 500$US lately with low millage...
As said I see them for 4000-5200 sek NEW on various sites.
4000 Swedish kronor = 515 USD



This night there was a D90 with 18-135 + 18-200 VR for 4300 sek
4300 Swedish kronor = 554 USD


I could had bought that one, sold the 18-200 VR and got the camera for free .. Was so stupid to not answer better I guess. But he/she probably got lots of replies.

Can't understand the prices, or rather, can't understand the prices of new Nikon gear. A new Nikon D90 is 8700 sek. The D700 cost more than the 5DmII and so on.
06-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Írebro
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
There were some rumors around PMA that Nikon was going to come out with its own EVIL camera line. Did anything ever come of that? I would think that would fit right into the D90/D5000 camera range.
It seem to have 16 mm image circle and a 2.7x crop. I'm not at all interested.

I wonder if Pentax and Canon will ever announce anything in that department. I would assume that atleast Canon would.

FF-cameras seem to have slower AF than APS-C anyway. So why not release a rangefinderstyle FF EVIL with nice primes and picture quality but somewhat shitty AF and then an APS-C with faster AF?


I also wonder about Sonys attempt, 1/3 of the light to the optical viewfinder and phase-detect AF and 2/3 to the sensor == Video with optical viewfinder and fast auto-focus. But does the phase-detect AF work just as good with less light? Do one want a darker viewfinder? Is it worth the trade-offs?
Link: http://eoshd.com/content.php/205-New-Sony-Alpha-HD-line-gets-optical-viewfinder-in-video-mode
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
replacement
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I get a replacement? unleaded_gasoline Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 02-11-2010 02:49 PM
K-m replacement, just like the old K-m ghelary Pentax News and Rumors 134 09-18-2009 03:17 PM
K-7 Replacement as4ronin Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 09-16-2009 08:09 PM
K2 prism replacement jake.astig Pentax Film SLR Discussion 1 05-23-2008 03:16 PM
What is the best replacement.... Buddha Jones Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 04-03-2007 06:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top