Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I'm not picking on what you said, but that quote from Gizmodo is in error. The previous generation iPhone had a 3 megapixel sensor.
That quote is basically correct. It may be wrong in saying that the pixels got bigger. They are 1.75µm for the iPhone 4 which may be the same size as for the 3GS. Which means that the sensor got bigger indeed (5MP over 3MP).
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I know it probably sounds like I work for T-mobile, but I don't. It has just been a really long time since I was as happy of a customer with any company.

To anyone who is considering buying an unlocked iPhone from outside the US and running it on a different network in the US: T-mobile is the only other GSM provider in the US, and their 3G runs on a different bandwidth than the iPhone supports, so you will only get EDGE speeds. That being said, T-mobile's EDGE seems faster than AT&T's 3G, so you may not be losing anything. Also, T-mobile only has unlimited data plans, which AT&T doesn't even offer anymore.
Thanks for sharing your T-mobile experience.
I am a T-mobile customer here in Germany and while they may be 10% more expensive than the cheapest they are known for their great service (technically, I mean -- customer service depends on who you are talking to...).
Over here, their UMTS is faster than Edge and normally exceeds 2MBit/s with iPhone 3. Sorry to hear that their US-UMTS uses a different frequency than in Germany. Because in Germany, the iPhone does support T-mobile UMTS.

According to List of UMTS networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ,

the frequencies are as follows:
  • AT&T USA: 850/1900
  • T-Mobile USA: 1700 band IV (AWS)
  • T-Mobile Germany: 2100
The iPhone 4 supports UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) and the 1700 band is indeed missing. Even for iPhone 4. I heard that the iPhone has frequency problems for China's #1 carrier too, the single biggest market...

Maybe, we're seeing iPhone variants for different frequencies soon? I cannot believe Apple is handing the market over to Android just because of some dumb carrier lock-in.

EDIT...
Did I mention that I get two additional SIM cards free of charge (except for a small one time fee) with my iPhone unlimited data plan? I've cut one into MicroSIM and it works great in an iPAD (*). Two unlimited data plans for the price of one
__
(*) Well, when the iPAD receives phone calls it just hangs up. But that will be fixed soon in iOS. As a data device, it must ignore phone calls. Just a simple bug already listed in the Apple bug database.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-20-2010 at 04:40 PM.
06-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Got my iphone 4 today, seems like the 3g is faster than my win mobile phone even with no bars, btw I live in a large city. Haven't tried out the hd video, I forgot how much noise small camera sensors have ..... also they took away my unlimited internet plan as well
Attached Images

06-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bayareahdv Quote
also they took away my unlimited internet plan as well
Existing AT&T smart phone customers with unlimited internet plan can ask for continuation of their existing contract, even for the new iPhone 4. Only new customers cannot.
06-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bayareahdv Quote
Got my iphone 4 today, seems like the 3g is faster than my win mobile phone even with no bars, btw I live in a large city. Haven't tried out the hd video, I forgot how much noise small camera sensors have ..... also they took away my unlimited internet plan as well
Are you having the "hold your iPhone a certain way and the signal drops" issue?

06-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I had AT&T when I lived in Chicago (this was before the Cingular merger) and I had to lean out of my apartment window to get reception, in the middle of the city. Now that I live in New Mexico, they're the ONLY carrier in my city that doesn't offer 3G (even Sprint and T-Mobile do). Zero interest in the iPhone until it's on another carrier, and maybe not even then, if Android continues to develop at this rate. My new-every-two is in February and I'm planning to nab whatever the hot new Android piece is at that point (or maybe the Galaxy S if it's dirt cheap by then).
07-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #36
Kai

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some quick update for iphone 4 signal problem: Apple Holding iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday - Mac Rumors
07-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #37
Kai

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Iphone US carrier locked gets a law suit: Lawsuit Over AT&T's iPhone Exclusivity Gains Class Action Status - Mac Rumors

07-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I'm find the iphone4 camera to be pretty decent for what it is. Here just some random photos I've taken to test it out.

iPhone4 photos - a set on Flickr

John
07-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
Some quick update for iphone 4 signal problem: Apple Holding iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday - Mac Rumors
The press conference is a good source.

However, I found this video an even better demonstration of the problem and a better cure to solve it:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TclSVCPzEs&hd=1[/YT]
It demonstrates the immediate and complete loss of data transmission and that ZAGG's Invisible Shield Sides Only for iPhone 4 ($9.99) solves the problem in a very elegant way.

The Apple bumper case is an ugly solution in comparison. The above video shows too that Steve Jobs downplayed the problem. The immediate and complete loss of data transmission as shown above is an impressive effect Fortunately, it can be worked around.
07-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It demonstrates the immediate and complete loss of data transmission and that ZAGG's Invisible Shield Sides Only for iPhone 4 ($9.99) solves the problem in a very elegant way.
Why does the cable run under the laptop so that one cannot see whether it really is one cable as opposed to two and why does it take the demonstrator almost 10 sec to perform the finger test after the shield has been applied?

I'm probably just paranoid...
07-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #41
Veteran Member

When i get one later this month (Canada), i don't think it'll match my Nokias or Sony Ericsson's in the camera department.
07-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why does the cable run under the laptop so that one cannot see whether it really is one cable as opposed to two and why does it take the demonstrator almost 10 sec to perform the finger test after the shield has been applied?

I'm probably just paranoid...
Ok, German consumer test magazine "Stiftung Warentest" has done something useful: They measured the effect. Antennenpanne beim iPhone 4 - Test entblößt Apple - Schnelltest - Stiftung Warentest - test.de

Normally, mobile phones loose up to 25% of antenna reception power when held in an unfavourable way. That's not normally causing dropped calls.

The iPhone 4 looses 90% of antenna reception power when touching the wrong part of the antenna. They say an outside metal antenna with contact to the skin is a poor design. 90% signal loss almost always causes dropped calls.

So, Steve Jobs did a bad thing when saying that other phones have the same problem: he lied! How desperate must he be? I'm still liking the iPhone 4 though and a fix is simple (invisible shield).
07-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #43
Pentaxian

So, Steve Jobs did a bad thing when saying that other phones have the same problem: he lied!
Not if he didn't know better.
07-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Not if he didn't know better.
Come on. If stiftung warentest knows it better he does too... It would be even worse if he didn't. I mean, we talk about stiftung warentest who are at about 2 points where Jobs is a 9 (previously 10 before antennagate) on the mind sharpness scale.
07-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Come on. If stiftung warentest knows it better he does too...
Maybe he isn't immune to his own "reality distortion field"?

It would be even worse if he didn't.
Yes, he has the choice between "liar" and "ignorant fool".