Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

NEW Panasonic G2 commercial shot with Canon 5D Mark II

NEW Panasonic G2 commercial shot with Canon 5D Mark II

Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive a little bit of everything…(And Panasonic shoots G2 commercial with the Canon 5D)

06-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If that's true, then it's a major FAIL. The Panasonic marketing manager who oversaw the process and the agency that did the work should both be castigated for this PR blunder. There was a time when this kind of practice was accepted in the industry, but we are way too connected these days to let this stuff slip through...
06-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
oops...
06-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
emr

I only watched the video briefly, but I don't think it's a goof. They're clearly not hiding the Canon, but are rather using both. I think the actual message is that "as we all know that the 5D Mk II is a wicked camera for video but costs an arm and a leg, and our way cheaper G2 is in the same league if not quite on the same level".

06-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I only watched the video briefly, but I don't think it's a goof. They're clearly not hiding the Canon, but are rather using both. I think the actual message is that "as we all know that the 5D Mk II is a wicked camera for video but costs an arm and a leg, and our way cheaper G2 is in the same league if not quite on the same level".
I'll have to disagree on this one. This commercial could have and should have been shot with the GH1 or the G2. We would not be having this discussion if it was. To use the Canon risks subverting the whole point of the commercial. The Internets is starting to buzz with this story:

Google

And now what was meant to be a regional commercial (some part of Europe, I'm guessing) is now an international embarrassment. I'd hazard a guess that right now there are discussions within Panasonic PR and marketing departments around the world how to handle this, and arguments are being put forth to respond in some way, to pull the video, to monitor it to see if the buzz grows, or to ignore it and hope that the frenetic pace of the Information Age will wash it away.

Marketing departments and agencies have to be more vigilant about stuff like this these days. To paraphrase Marshall MacLuhan, the medium has become the message.

Last edited by johnmflores; 06-29-2010 at 09:21 AM.
06-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another endorsement of 5D Mark II

Another endorsement of 5D Mark II

Pulling the commercial seems the obvious thing to do.
I'd say the credibility damage is done, as its gone viral, many have seen it already.

If one wants to shoot a commercial with a dslr thesedays,
or shoot a season finale of HOUSE,
it seems the 5D Mark II is the way to go.

And if this rumour fleshes out a month before Photokina, then Panasonic has more HD competition to worry about:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/06/ef-video-camera-specs-cr1/

Canon’s RED?
Received this spec list in regards to a video camera with an EF mount.

Specifications
- Unconventional case, more like a Hasselblad.
- Alloy heatsink for extended shoot times and lower heat related picture noise.
- FF 4k sensor, no line skipping and much reduced jello effect
- ISO 100-1600
- Pellicle Mirror however it can be flipped up if a OVF isn’t required to regain the lost 2/3 stop.
- EF fitment
- AF when pellicle mirror is down
- Digital Follow focus to control lenses electronically
- Twin CF slots
- Add on module with SSD drive for extended shooting, like a virtual film mag.
- 4:4:4 SDI out
- HDMI out
- 3D LUT capacity

edit

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-29-2010 at 07:15 AM.
06-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
About 10 years ago it was revealed that a major Microsoft ad campaign had been designed and edited on Macs.