Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Some thoughts on the D90...

I've made a size decision and stepped down from the D300s to D90... And in all honesty, aside from the fact that IQ is the same (in 12 bits), it's a major disappointment... usability wise... Some of the biggest issues that I have:

-Very limited AF-setting options...
-No remote plug... so if i want to use it in a water-proof case, i'm screwed...
-Very limited bracketing options....

On the bright side, like i've said, IQ is the same, 4.5 fps is more than enough for what I do... it's light and takes less space in my bag...

I thought that Nikon's low-end bodies are severely castrated... looks like mid-level suffers from the same issues....

Having owned a K7... I'd say that K7 owns D90 doggy style...

D90 + 70-300VR on the other hand is my perfect kitesurfing combination (as a kitesurfer)... good enough for the most stuff I do, and light and compact enough to haul it everywhere with me....

Really looking forward for both D300s and D90 upcoming replacements...

Last edited by alexeyga; 07-04-2010 at 12:51 PM.
07-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe the kx uses the same sensor as the D90 & everyone seems to rave over the Kx's IQ - but I personally feel that the D90 is a better all round tool and can be had at a very competitive price these days.
07-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I'd say that K7 owns D90 doggy style...
LOL!

I found the D90 clunky, but maybe I need more time with one. The K-7 on the other hand is a properly thought through piece of design.

I am also looking forward to the D90 and D300s replacements, together with the D700 replacement.

Nikon need to fight the "middle" more aggressively, so it'll be interesting to see where they come out. My guess is that the D90 replacement will underwhelm (T2i/550D with one more dial and worse video), but I'd be happy to be wrong. The D700 replacement on the other hand is likely to be a real corker.
07-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well... in all honesty K-7 was the first reason I switched over... out of 3 copies that went through my hands, only one had the AF dialed in... the other two, out of the box, AF was out if it's adjustment range...

I was looking into going back with P... but then I was quickly turned down when I saw lens prises... K-7 is a great camera, but where it still lacks is AF speed... it's waaaaay behind D90 and D90 is yet a little slower than D300s...

And despite all it's limitations D90 is a nice and solid camera... Can't say I love it, but at the rate i'm going, I'll reach the end of shutter's life by the end of the year anyways...

Oh, for what it's worth, i've solved the remote issue... Turns out that the GPS port is used to connect an external remote... so the situation isn't as hopeless as I thought... Just need to make an external casing... Oh, and the Nikon 10.5/2.8 is damn sweet!!! and fast.... and small!!!

Last edited by alexeyga; 07-08-2010 at 08:02 AM.