Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
7D on the way

Just wanted to share. Due to some misfortunes and fortunes, had an opportunity to upgrade my 50D to a 7D for nearly no money out of pocket. Should be here tomorrow, and I am quite excited to try out some video recording. Especially using the gimbal head and long teles (400mm), which should make for some fun wildlife work.

I was really not planning on the upgrade as the 50D image quality is so close to the 7D (with the 7D being better at ISO 6400 and above, but below that there really is not any tangible difference even in large prints), but since this venture will cost me nearly nothing I just couldn't turn it down...

07-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done. The 7D does look rather a nice camera.
07-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I've been waiting weeks for my 50D to come down from Queensland. Just picked it up last night

Couldn't quite justify paying double the price for the 7D, but i've had a day of shooting with it and it is a nice cam.

07-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You lucky dog! I would love to try a 7d, especially for the AF adjustments like spot AF point. I have to keep my 50d for a good while though as I spent alot on lenses.

07-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I somewhat finished my 7D system just waiting/undecided to go FF with Canon, so halted my LBA at 3...mostly because they're dam expensive plus my Pentax bag is much easier to lug all day

Last edited by Clicker; 07-25-2010 at 03:30 PM.
07-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would love to try the 7D for a day.
To date I've worked with Nikon and Pentax but I have not touched a Canon in almost 6 years.
07-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, some quick first impressions.

1) It definitely lacks pattern noise at higher ISOs. The 50D would sometimes have visible pattern noise (banding) at 3200 and up depending on circumstances. I have yet to see even at hint of this at any ISO. While 3200 is not much "cleaner" than on the 50D it looks better because of this.

2) SPOT AUTOFOCUS! Brilliant move. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to nail focus on the eye of a small bird only to get the beak or having to resort to manual focus since the focusing sensor is just too big and covers too much. This lets you pick a much smaller focus area so you can really get the focus exactly where you want it with AF. Great stuff.

3) Build appears VERY solid. The XXD cameras are built well, but it is clear that they went the extra mile on this; CF and battery doors close more solidly and so on.

4) Still no mirror lockup button. Although with Liveview this is becoming increasingly less of a pain.

5) Even faster and more responsive than the 50D which is certainly no slouch.

Will try to do some birding this coming week and see how the AF performance stacks up. Mainly interested in AF point expansion since that seems to be a favorite of many birders.

Did try the 1080p recording and sure, it's neat and the image quality is fantastic, but not sure video stuff is for me.

07-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Something that would make me lean to the Nikon D300s is the dual-card feature, 1 SD and 1CF. I don't want to spend more on cards if/when i change. Plus the instant backup aspect of it.