Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nelle Quote
Hey,

is there anyone in this lovely forum that has also has an Olympus OM-1?. I have one of these beauties but it has hardly been used after the advent of digital cameras. I started to stray gradually away from film to compact digital, but last year i got my K-7 and i ve gotten massively into SLR again. I am keen on both to do film again, and also to give my olympus lenses a ride on the K7. Does anyone have any experience on using pentax lenses on OM-1 or vice versa? I have tried to do search on adapters, but I really dont have a clue how to do it.

thanks!
You can pick up some very inexpensive Zuiko MF glass on eBay. Makes far more sense than using adapters and is likely cheaper.

08-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've recently traded an old Ricoh K-mount body for an Olympus OMG complete with a f1.4 50mm lens. I'm impressed with the OMG. I can't understand why Oly ditched the great OM system for the lousy E system with miniature viewfinders.
It was a sin and they should pay.
08-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I've recently traded an old Ricoh K-mount body for an Olympus OMG complete with a f1.4 50mm lens. I'm impressed with the OMG. I can't understand why Oly ditched the great OM system for the lousy E system with miniature viewfinders.
It was a sin and they should pay.
They did, indirectly, when I decided to go Pentax for Digital SLR. On the other side of that though, from what I understand (2 year old info), Olympus Kit lenses are some of the best on the market.

08-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was there

When 35mm SLRs still ruled the earth Olympus was late to the fray with autofocus.
I guess the OM mount was not AF compatible and they created a new mount.
This was the beginning of the end for Olympus SLRs.

Chris

08-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
When 35mm SLRs still ruled the earth Olympus was late to the fray with autofocus.
I guess the OM mount was not AF compatible and they created a new mount.
This was the beginning of the end for Olympus SLRs.

Chris
Not true:
Olympus OM-707 / OM-77 - Camerapedia.org

But this camera was relatively poor and not really user friendly. That caused their decline.
08-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I "upgraded" from a K1000 to an OM-1 back in my film days, and then further to an OM-2 (with the fantastic OTF-metering!) I loved those cameras and had some nice glass (though nothing really special). I think my early addiction to the 100mm f2.8 originally spurred my continued taste for fast short-telephoto lenses.

Yeah, the autofocus revolution was really what killed the OM system. Oly ended up concentrating on compacts and fixed-zoom-lens SLRs (like today's superzooms but with film) and actually did quite well in those arenas. The XA series stands as some of the classics of advanced compact 35mm cameras, and I keep feeling like I should get another one. These days their DSLRs aren't doing half bad, either. They're excellent products and they sell enough to keep making them.
08-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #22

The only reasion I don't go back to OM-1 is that they are not digital. Loved the quality of design, build and especially the FUNCTION. Now using E-p1 with om glass as well as other brands. Today had an old vivitar 24mm f2.8 mounted and did a cattle farm shoot, including a farm machinery rollover. nobody hurt. Impressed with the old glass (HEAVY!).

Steve