Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

Olympus OM-1

Hey,

is there anyone in this lovely forum that has also has an Olympus OM-1?. I have one of these beauties but it has hardly been used after the advent of digital cameras. I started to stray gradually away from film to compact digital, but last year i got my K-7 and i ve gotten massively into SLR again. I am keen on both to do film again, and also to give my olympus lenses a ride on the K7. Does anyone have any experience on using pentax lenses on OM-1 or vice versa? I have tried to do search on adapters, but I really dont have a clue how to do it.

thanks!

07-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nelle Quote
Hey,

is there anyone in this lovely forum that has also has an Olympus OM-1?. I have one of these beauties but it has hardly been used after the advent of digital cameras. I started to stray gradually away from film to compact digital, but last year i got my K-7 and i ve gotten massively into SLR again. I am keen on both to do film again, and also to give my olympus lenses a ride on the K7. Does anyone have any experience on using pentax lenses on OM-1 or vice versa? I have tried to do search on adapters, but I really dont have a clue how to do it.

thanks!
While you may be able to mount your Pentax lenses on the OM, it's unlikely that you'll be able to go the other way around. I was never a lens hound with the Olympus but have some nice ones and was disappointed to learn that fact. I still have my OM1nMD and OM4 but they rarely get used anymore. Better if you want to shoot film with your Pentax lenses, to buy a Pentax Film Camera. ME Super or Super Program for manual and something like a ZX-L for Auto.

07-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately you won't be able to do either without some rework. The Pentax lenses have a shorter register distance than the OM ones so won't work on the OM1. The OM lenses with their bayonet mount won't adapt to Pentax.

The OM/Zuiko lenses are excellent though. I use several on my Canon gear.
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

OM Lenses are quite popular on Micro Four Thirds cameras, especially since the adapter allows everything except autofocus. I'm sure you could find some people interested in them on the new Mirrorless Camera Forums Home or my other forum E-P1.net - A Micro Four Thirds Community.

07-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
OM Lenses are quite popular on Micro Four Thirds cameras, especially since the adapter allows everything except autofocus. I'm sure you could find some people interested in them on the new Mirrorless Camera Forums Home or my other forum E-P1.net - A Micro Four Thirds Community.
There are no AF OM lenses anyway. It's a Manual focus system.

07-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There are no AF OM lenses anyway. It's a Manual focus system.

That's what I thought, but Olympus worded it in their description as if there was.
07-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
There are some AF OM lenses

Olympus made a couple AF lenses to fit their (only?) AF film body in the 90s.

I can't recall the camera name but it had 3 digits and looked a lot like the OM101. Olympus were heavily into 'bridge' cameras. The only really good thing they did from the mid 80's was upgrade the OM3 and OM4 with titanium bodies and TTL flash. The dedicated Olympus flash was the first to allow high speed synch too.

07-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The OM30 had a focus indicator but no drive or electronics to actually focus; it would indicate front, back and proper focus. The OM707 had 8 AF lenses available, and was the only true autofocusing OM series camera; later followed by the OM101 which was the same camera minus the autofocus.
07-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Many thanks everyone!
07-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #10

Hi Nelle,

I've been able to use an olympus OM1 on a camera fleamarket and I've been quiet impressed about the amount of light in the viewfinder. Compared to my k100ds, it was amazing.
Could you tell us about the OM1 vs K7 which is supposed to be lighter (and also 100%) ?

I believe the OM1 will be still better because FF but it would be nice to knwo your opinion.

cheers,
07-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
Hi Nelle,

I've been able to use an olympus OM1 on a camera fleamarket and I've been quiet impressed about the amount of light in the viewfinder. Compared to my k100ds, it was amazing.
Could you tell us about the OM1 vs K7 which is supposed to be lighter (and also 100%) ?

I believe the OM1 will be still better because FF but it would be nice to knwo your opinion.

cheers,
The OM1 is still better in the viewfinder but if I remember correctly, it is not 100% like the K7 is. Of course, once I put the OM53 on my camera, neither was the K7 100% straight line either (have to shift view to see entire viewfinder).

07-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
Hi Nelle,

cheers,
There are some reasons the OM1 viewfinder will be better:

The K-7 has to divert some light to the AF sensor, so not all light that hits the mirror is reflected into the pentaprism and viewfinder.

The K-7 mirror and pentaprism is smaller and receives much less light than the OM1 equivalents.

There is a good chance that the lens you used on the OM1 was faster and let more light in.
07-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you like your OM system...

The Pentax M series cameras are compact and lightweight with large bright viewfinders, too.
Pentax bayonet mount manual focus lenses fit and function on your Pentax DSLR without modification.
As a Pentax DSLR user you should definitely check them out...

Chris
07-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #14

thanks all for your replies

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Pentax M series cameras are compact and lightweight with large bright viewfinders, too.
Pentax bayonet mount manual focus lenses fit and function on your Pentax DSLR without modification.
As a Pentax DSLR user you should definitely check them out...

Chris
I like old film camera (I loved my old full manual Praktica one) so had a look at ME and LX but the lenses are compatible the other way around (from film to digital, and only few from digital to film).
ex: I own 2 DA limiteds lenses (21 and 40) and I should have some cropping issue.
I can focus manually but I'm not sure about the aperture control by a film slr on them.
07-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Apparently, the 40 works on full frame but you'll need a camera that can control the aperture.