Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Holga D design concept

Interesting work this guy has done:

Holga D - Holga Digtal Camera - Saikat Biswas

07-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the concept, though I would put a decent lens on it and call it the Bessa LD. What is pictured is too elegant to slap a plastic lens on.

Steve
07-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I was going to say the same- the casing is exceedingly well-designed

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, but it's way too complicated to ever be a Holga.
In this regard Holga is the antithesis of digital.
And its popularity is in large measure a reaction against it.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-26-2010 at 12:22 PM.
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The open source camera is a nifty concept, so perhaps there will be a Bessa LD
07-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought digital Lomo was what cell phone cameras were for.

Why not just go to a drug store and buy a camera that comes in a blister pack.
07-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

lol that's great

probably should be made simpler yet

07-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #8

It does look a little too nicely made - I guess you have to add light leaks in PP :-)
07-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Agreed on the too nicely made point.

But, the guy who did the renderings is using the design as part of his job hunting portfolio. So, I expect he was trying to walk a line between "cheap & holga" and "appealing looks".
07-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter

You know you have arrived as a camera maker when they say this about you! laugh

QuoteQuote:
Holga D is a digital camera inspired from the extremely popular cult of Holga and other toy cameras of its kind.
07-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
Banned

I think its over-engineered for what its supposed to be but as it stands, id actually really love to have one. i mean hell, if it possibly has a full frame sensor and no back LCD, im all for it. the plastic 'coating-less' =) lens can be (by the design renderings at least) removed so this could be used with all sorts of lenses mounted via an adapter similar to a micro 4/3 camera looking at the short register distance. if something like that hit the market for a cheap price, id jump. its no holga in spirit, but its wicked cool as designed. by the way, this designer has some really good concepts on his page other than the holga.D. its worth checking out.

Last edited by séamuis; 07-27-2010 at 09:21 AM.
07-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter

séamuis,

The lens comes off to change out the aperture disks. It comes down to figuring out the registration distance.
07-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
séamuis,

The lens comes off to change out the aperture disks. It comes down to figuring out the registration distance.
doesn't matter why the lens is removable mate, the fact that it is, opens up the possibility of adapters. figuring out the registration distance will be a quick and easy job for manufacturers of adapters. digital holga with a leica summilux? oh yes! that would piss off some leicaphiles and be much more fun to use than a micro 4/3 body. when I look at a concept like this, its not about what it is as designed, but what the simplicity can offer in the way of modifying it. such as the simple plastic lens mount could easily be replaced with a metal mount, making the use of adapters much more reliable. the fact that there is no electrical or mechanical linkage between the lens and the body means you basically have the perfect platform for the use different lenses. and with a designed shutter (of course a mechanical shutter reaching 2k may not be easy) that has all the standard speeds, and a full ISO range, you wouldnt be limited in lens selection. use the simple hot shoe as a mounting point for an external finder and you could actually use this thing for some pretty serious photography if you so chose.

the neat thing about this design is its the first one (that I am aware of) the utilizes digital but retains the concept of the body essentially being just a lightproof box.

neat concept, I hope one day in the near future we see something like this, not too deviated from the design shown here.

Last edited by séamuis; 07-27-2010 at 09:38 AM.
07-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
...the neat thing about this design is its the first one (that I am aware of) the utilizes digital but retains the concept of the body essentially being just a lightproof box.

neat concept, I hope one day in the near future we see something like this, not too deviated from the design shown here.
I totally agree! Something like this for little money that would accept Leica M...WOO! HOO! Count me in!

Steve

(Anyone know where we can scare up some camera engineers and some venture capital?...)