Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another thought about Sony dropping full frame. If they add video to their full frame cameras, which you would assume they would have to do to compete with Canon, and assuming this video is well implemented -- would this compete with their new HD video camera that uses Sony lenses? Maybe they are thinking of it more from a stategy of organizing everything around the NEX and trying to win the rapidly growing DSLR video wars rather than try to win the hearts and minds of high resolution full frame users, which may be more inclined in the long run to go with Canon, Nikon, Leica and, with the 645D, hopefully Pentax.

In this way they realign themselves to try to take on Samsung and Panasonic, instead of Nikon and Canon. If all of this wild speculation based on a Thom Hogan rumor is true, I could see that as a valid direction change, because that is a fight they could win.

07-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really don't think that any sort of flagship model will be directed as a competitor to the the 5dMkII or the D700.

Honest to goodness, Pentax's M.O. points toward competing with the 7d and the D300s. Plenty of pro's use those cameras and that what Pentax should strive for.
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm not sure how much relevance Sony quitting FF has or would have on any Pentax FF plans...

A few points:
- Sony implemented a very peculiar product line, which did very little to support their FF line. Ie. Cheap, plasitcky APS-c consumer bodies that focussed on gimmicks, then a BIIIIIIG gap to the expensive full-frame models, making it difficult for users to grow through the system. Then they sat on the A700 (which was quite good) for way too long, while releasing endless mini-updates to their lower models, and therefore generating concern about their commitment to top-level gear.

- They got the lens line-up wrong... They specifically said that they were aiming the A900 at advanced amateurs, rather than full on Pros, but then went and released the most expensive line-up in the industry. When they realised that this was a problem, they released the entry level FF lens line, but then they made this SUPER cheap, with plastic mounts and so on, missing the middle of the line concept that most people where after.

- The companies approach to the photography industry never targeted the enthusiast user, so the A900/A850 was a rather odd fish out.

Now, Pentax on the other hand, would be perfectly suited to entering the full-frame market.

- They've always had an emphasis on the quality/enthusiast market, with the FA/DA Lts and so on, so I have a feeling that many users would be interested in a Pentax enthusiast orientated full-frame.

- As mentioned, they have the K-mount, which includes very high quality third-party (Zeiss, Voigtlander) already making 35mm K-mount lenses.

- They have a back-log of 35mm * lenses that could presumably be upgraded with digital coatings and so on (much as Sony/Can/Nik have all done).

- They offer Pros the opportunity to run a combined FF/MF kit, which would be incredibly versatile and something truly unique.
07-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #19

Also, I would just remind something to everybody: Sony dropping FF sensors is just a rumor. And in my opinion, a wrong one. Sony is making money selling these sensors to other companies (Nikon today, maybe Pentax tomorrow?). They also probably plan to develop a high end model of NEX with FF sensor. So there is no point for them to leave this market technology, especially when you think that Sony Imaging sensor division is probably the bigger one in the world and the FF part is representing close to nothing (by the way, for the same reason, Sony will never sell this division and Pentax/Hoya will never be able to buy it).

07-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
Also, I would just remind something to everybody: Sony dropping FF sensors is just a rumor. And in my opinion, a wrong one.
I agree. I just don't see it. I could see them losing the OVF APS-C cameras, though. I imagine that they haven't sold so many of that class of DSLR that they feel they have to carry them forward. That new designed-for-digital mount has to be there for a significant reason.

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
They also probably plan to develop a high end model of NEX with FF sensor.
That's a good reason for a new mount. Mass produce affordable M8-style rangefinders and EVF-based G1-like DSLR-form larger cameras. They could re-use a lot of technology in EVF middle-ground units between rangefinders and P&S, larger-sensor bridge cameras and have a traditional Sony array of products. An array defined more in terms of price and size than image quality.

I get the impression that Sony (and Panasonic) see their camera markets in terms of consumer electronics rather than what the camera industry traditionally thinks of cameras. Panasonic and Sony haven't had notable success building to the traditional camera forms but I expect them to be much more successful designing their own products.

.oO(Hooray for disruptive outsiders)
07-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
What if Nicanon make FF in a sub-$1,500 body?

Woud you still spend $1,200 on a new APS-C Pentax K-? flagship model?

Don't assume that Canikon won't move the yardsticks by making FF cheaper than their APS-C competitors can bear. Eventually, they have little to lose by cannibalizing their own APS-C base and moving those consumers over to their existing FF glass.
Actually, that's the most compelling reason I've heard to date for them to make the move to FF now before it's too late. Sadly, they are at the mercy of what Canikon will do, as they have enough control to force the market which ever way the want it to go.
08-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #22
Banned

He missed the Pentax PF-CA35 adapter for using the Pentax PF80-ED spotting scope etc on K mount bodies.