Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2007, 06:49 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I, as I am sure others, am impressed by the recent C* and N* announcements regarding their new advanced and pro equipment, but I am going to hold out for what tops the K10D here soon. Unfortunately, my wife and I make less than 6 figures a year, so we don't have unlimited funds! I have a K10D w/grip already which is currently in the shop for repair due to some funky looking vertical zig zag banding in shots higher than ISO 200. I am REALLY missing having my camera around but I had decided a while ago to wait on another body by going higher, not lower. I would like to shoot weddings at some point and sell my wildlife/birding photos.

I have to admit that glass w/Pentax is an issue for me. You really have to hunt for long glass. I bought a Sigma 50-500 EX (not the DG) and had to go to Canada to get it...paid a premium too...and that's not even 'fast' glass. I can't afford $8k to have a 600 f/4 made. I looked today at ebay and found several Canon lenses 400 and higher that are pricey, but not $8k. Who knows...if I win the lotto, I may just buy one of everything that Pentax, Canon, and Nikon have to offer Then I can shoot everyday all day and have each system in rotation! Aaaaahhhhhhh....and the alarm goes off!

Right now, I am sticking with my investment in Pentax and hopefully, there will be some strides made. I can say that some times I was disappointed in the K10D/Bigma combo for shooting in flight bird shots...the AF-C just isn't fast enough in many situations....but I live! I am a firm believer that the shooter makes the camera sing and not the other way around. There have been many photographers that made great livings shooting with less gear than is available now!

The thing I like is being the odd man out and producing nice stuff...not just another C* or N* in the crowd....hoping to stay that way...

08-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
The 40D is a very big competitor to the K10D as you have mentioned and it's become extremely enticing for me as well seeing as I've been looking to ditch my Pentax gear in favor of a current Canon 30D. For me the change comes from the brutal lack of telelphoto lenses that Pentax has to offer and the ridiculous lack of third party support from the likes of Sigma and Tamron (sorry but waiting until 2008 for a lens just doesn't cut it for people who want to take this seriously). I shoot motorsports and fast telezooms are as important as getting my passes to the events so when I look over at the Canon camp and see the likes of the 100-400 f4 or 70-200 2.8 I begin to wonder if there is light at the end of the tunnel for Pentax. Even with the "legacy" glass it's next to impossible to find the good FA glass nowadays because Pentax has discontinued production on so much of it.

If Pentax is going to release another body, I surely hope that they intend on stepping up and making some more glass for the userbase as I think the K10D will hold it's own for a bit before Pentax needs to revamp and focus its efforts on a new DSLR.

I fear that unless I see Sigma return the 100-300 f4 to production or the 70-200 f2.8 in a Pentax mount, Tamron push the 70-200 f2.8 or Pentax come out with some more serious glass (sorry but 300mm f4 and 60-250 f4 just don't cut it in my books) then I'm going to have to switch to remain competitive in an already extremely competitive field.

My $0.02

I don't understand why you are using Pentax equipment in the first place. What possesses you to choose a camera that doesn't have the lenses you need for your business?

I love my Pentax camera it takes fantastic shots it is affordable and offers a lot more features than the comparable brand offerings for a much lower price. I also have access to some of the finest lenses ever made and am slowly collecting them as funds allow.

Now I don't make money from my camera (other than the odd Wedding or event which I usually just ask for a carton of beer) but if I was looking to set up shop as a sports photographer I would invest in canon as they have the equipment.
Pentax is great if not exceptional for portraiture, fashion, weddings, events etc - but motorsports photography;no not at the moment.

Pentax is not in this market (Yet) and why would they want to be , seriously how many truly professional sports photographers are there. Do you really think canon rely on these photographers for the revenue needed to keep the canon corporation going, no way. The rebel is the lynch pin of the canon (photo division)camp, the rebel is the base of the canon pyramid - thousands and thousands of rebel owners - all proud of their pro level camera and 18-55mmkit lens.

Just saw the 40d samples on dpr - now I don't think phil askey has much photographic talent anyway but in my opinion those pics are really bad, the 40d doesn't seem to handle reds well at all and IQ overall seemed poor - have to wait and see if it is just phils askeys lack of talent or not.

Last edited by Falcons; 08-26-2007 at 02:56 AM.
09-07-2007, 04:18 AM   #33
Veteran Member

The 40D looks and sounds great, seems like a good upgrade for the "machine gunners". But the cost of great glass from Canon will always put me off switching or even considering "co-joining" as i imagine it will for many others who dont make a career out of photography. At least with Pentax i can still have my cake and eat it, and damned if i dont enjoy it too!!

09-07-2007, 04:59 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Just saw the 40d samples on dpr - now I don't think phil askey has much photographic talent anyway but in my opinion those pics are really bad, the 40d doesn't seem to handle reds well at all and IQ overall seemed poor - have to wait and see if it is just phils askeys lack of talent or not.
Sounds about right. 40D shots did not impress me that much in these sample galleries

09-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #35
Forum Member

I just switched from the Canon 20D over to the K10D for the following reasons in no particular order.

1. Pentax glass is legendary
2. Image stabilization is built into the body
3. Weather sealing
4. A/D converter of the K10D gives more dynamic range

I was not happy with Canon for several reasons. Their glass had serious QC issues where lens copies were soft, consider paying $1000 for a 24-70 L and it turns out to be soft. Again, depends on the copy you get. BF, FF were issues as well.

Canon already came out with their flagship cameras, so for Canon to exceed these bodies with the latest technology would be a blow to all of those who have already purchased these cameras. That's why, in my honest opinion, I believe their new lineup of the 40D and MKIII are hardly anything to drool over and their future bodies as well.

Correct if I'm mistaken, but we're seeing advances in technology from Pentax, Sony, and other camera makers while Canon put liveview and just put in dust removal on their cameras.

If I were asked would I switch back, then I would confidently answer no because Pentax glass is truly amazing, color, contrast, sharpness, and bokeh are as great as they are said to be. The images the K10D produces exceeded my expectations from the camera.

Now Pentax has only up to go in their line of dslrs. Again, I wish Pentax would come out with a full frame camera, higher x sync, ISO 6400, faster selectable AF point. Hey, one can dream right!

-imt

Last edited by imadethis; 09-22-2007 at 11:31 PM.