Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon 40D.... would you switch?

After finally seeing the new Canon 40D specs it's making it very hard to stay loyal to one brand and not want to jump the boat to have the latest and greatest. It has everything you could want, 10MP, low noise, fast focus, 9 cross type sensors that work from 5.6 to 2.8 and a special center point that works from 2.8 to 1.2, high FPS, a bigger buffer, and a long list of available lenses, improved dust reduction. What will pentax have to offer to match this guy?

If only life were easy and you got everything you wanted all in one package, but alas it can never be. Lately I've been struggling in the professional photography realm as the K10D lacks one thing in the 30D that I needed; better low light autofocus. The differences between the 30D and K10D were negligible, but now it's night and day with the K10D only having weather seals and the legacy lens selection to make it tastier than the 40D besides the built in shake reduction which was the killer for me between the 5D and the K10D in February when I had to make the last decision.

Pentax needs to make an announcement soon on any new cameras they are projected to develop in order to compete against the beast that is the 40D. I'm crossing my fingers as I type this just in hopes that Pentax is listening.

08-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The 40D is a very big competitor to the K10D as you have mentioned and it's become extremely enticing for me as well seeing as I've been looking to ditch my Pentax gear in favor of a current Canon 30D. For me the change comes from the brutal lack of telelphoto lenses that Pentax has to offer and the ridiculous lack of third party support from the likes of Sigma and Tamron (sorry but waiting until 2008 for a lens just doesn't cut it for people who want to take this seriously). I shoot motorsports and fast telezooms are as important as getting my passes to the events so when I look over at the Canon camp and see the likes of the 100-400 f4 or 70-200 2.8 I begin to wonder if there is light at the end of the tunnel for Pentax. Even with the "legacy" glass it's next to impossible to find the good FA glass nowadays because Pentax has discontinued production on so much of it.

If Pentax is going to release another body, I surely hope that they intend on stepping up and making some more glass for the userbase as I think the K10D will hold it's own for a bit before Pentax needs to revamp and focus its efforts on a new DSLR.

I fear that unless I see Sigma return the 100-300 f4 to production or the 70-200 f2.8 in a Pentax mount, Tamron push the 70-200 f2.8 or Pentax come out with some more serious glass (sorry but 300mm f4 and 60-250 f4 just don't cut it in my books) then I'm going to have to switch to remain competitive in an already extremely competitive field.

My $0.02
08-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I currently have a 20D. The difference between a 20D and a 30D was almost laughable. I am thinking of getting a 40D depending upon price. Only time will tell.
08-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
After finally seeing the new Canon 40D specs it's making it very hard to stay loyal to one brand and not want to jump the boat to have the latest and greatest. It has everything you could want, 10MP, low noise, fast focus, 9 cross type sensors that work from 5.6 to 2.8 and a special center point that works from 2.8 to 1.2, high FPS, a bigger buffer, and a long list of available lenses, improved dust reduction. What will pentax have to offer to match this guy?

If only life were easy and you got everything you wanted all in one package, but alas it can never be. Lately I've been struggling in the professional photography realm as the K10D lacks one thing in the 30D that I needed; better low light autofocus. The differences between the 30D and K10D were negligible, but now it's night and day with the K10D only having weather seals and the legacy lens selection to make it tastier than the 40D besides the built in shake reduction which was the killer for me between the 5D and the K10D in February when I had to make the last decision.

Pentax needs to make an announcement soon on any new cameras they are projected to develop in order to compete against the beast that is the 40D. I'm crossing my fingers as I type this just in hopes that Pentax is listening.
When comparing the Canon 40D and K10D specs side by side on DP Review, I see nothing that would make me even consider the Canon 40D. Based on the specs it is just now catching up with the K10D not moving ahead. It looks like the only advantage is that it shoot at 6.2 fps.

08-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
When comparing the Canon 40D and K10D specs side by side on DP Review, I see nothing that would make me even consider the Canon 40D. Based on the specs it is just now catching up with the K10D not moving ahead. It looks like the only advantage is that it shoot at 6.2 fps.
The Digic III sensor in it looks promising for starters and from everything I have read they're saying that the high ISO noise will be much better without a large loss in detail. Only time will tell on these things but for me, the wide range of glass available is enticing enough to warrant the switch. Oh and 6.5fps is just awesome
08-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As someone who shoots a lot of birds, the 40D is tempting on paper. The fact that you can get current and very sharp telephotos and the fps alone, make it tempting. However, from what I've seen of the Canon ergonomics thus far (EOS 3, 7E, Rebel XT, etc...) I hesitate to even bother with Canon. I think if I had to jump ship, the Nikon D200 would be the way for me as it does have an excellent buffer, higher fps and it fits my hand like a glove.
08-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Good point on the ergonomics. I have big paws and the 20D doesn't feel that bad...that was until I fondled..er handled, a K10D.

08-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wait 3 days. Pentax has a press conference scheduled for 8/23.
(I should say I read that ..... over at DPR)
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
Inactive Account

After finally seeing the new Canon 40D specs it's making it very hard to stay loyal to one brand and not want to jump the boat to have the latest and greatest.

If only life were easy and you got everything you wanted all in one package, but alas it can never be. Lately I've been struggling in the professional photography realm as the K10D lacks one thing in the 30D that I needed; better low light autofocus.
The rumored specs of the 40D look good, but it is clearly a modest evolution of the existing 30D model. Certainly one would expect a 10mp sensor and better AF performance from the 30D successor, since the XTi passed the 30D in these areas.

I have considered switching from Pentax to Canon for better autofocus performance: both in low-light and with moving subjects in action shots. I've had some instances where my Pentax gear just couldn't focus and I missed a few shots. No AF is going to be perfect, but I thought that Canon might be better. My informal handling of some Canon gear in a couple of camera stores suggested that Canon AF performance in these areas may be better. Nikon seems to do well with low-lgiht AF, and both brands certainly have a lot more lenses available. For now, I've sold my FA lenses and went to the DA* 50-135mm for better AF with SDM (I hope) and quick-shift MF. But if Canon or Nikon look to be a better option then I might make the move at some point. I have no particular reason to be "loyal" to Pentax: I'm simply trying to be a smart consumer and get the best value for my money.
08-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Canon is better in the AF aspect. My 20D is a speed demon compared to the K10D. No doubts about it. Not saying that the K10D is slow. Just that it is fairly noticeable if you use Canon gear a lot.

I will beg to differ. If what I have read is true concerning the 40D, it will be quite the camera and not just a slight improvement over the 30D. The 30D was a slight improvement over the 20D. Most people figured Canon should have called the 30D a 20 1/2D (20a was already used).

As for switching from Pentax to Canon. That is a tough call. Yes, Canon does have better AF, and since my main focus is wildlife, I do appreciate the extra edge in this regard.

Pentax has so much going for it. It does give you the most for your money. Yes, there is a lack of long focal length glass at the moment. You can however, get a few Sigma lenses, and there is nothing wrong with those at all.

I say give them time. The company is in the middle of some major changes. Hoya should be done their merge sometime this October from what I have read. We are already seeing some advertising. It takes time to ramp up lens production. I do sincerely hope they hurry up though. I was rather shocked to find that all their heavy class was discontinued. I never thought that Pentax was hurting so much for a period of time.
08-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #11

Only camera I have any interest in jumping to as of this moment is the Nikon D200.
08-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #12

As much as I would love to give Pentax time to sort things out, I look at the lens roadmap and see nothing that interests or helps me fill the needs. I beg to differ on the Sigma lens point as well considering that fast lenses are non-existent in a pentax mount with sigma when you start getting into telezooms. It's really unfortunate as the Pentax made the most sense for me from the consumer standpoint except since the initial investment I've actually lost a significant amount of money from the depreciation of products. Who knows, maybe in 2-5 years Pentax may be the comeback kid when Hoya is all settled and new products start arriving but until then there's just too much lacking. Guess I'm just a needy motorsports photographer
08-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would I switch?

No, I'm too fond of my 31 and 77 mm limited lenses, my FA*'s, and my metal barrel, smooth operating, compact and pleasure-to-use K, M, A and Takumar lenses.

Granted, you need to go outside of the current lens line-up and buy those great, but discontinued lenses, but they are available second hand and mostly reasonably priced.

My advice to Pentax? That they start up the FA* production line again, expand the range of metal barrel Limited lenses, and forget about polycarbonate altogether.
08-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I read a post by Roland Mabo at Photo.net that k5d is to be announced at september 2008 and k1d around spring 2008.
08-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Switch to neither...

I currently use the D200 at work all the time, and I'll honestly tell ya, It is a treat to use the K10 after a day with the d200. I find all the controls on the D200 awkward, and just plain old stupid. Hold this while spinning that while pressing here... LOL. Not really that bad, but it is anoying.

As for the 30d, the ergonomics are horrible. Plain and simple.

As for all the other bells and whistles... I haven't needed them yet, and a damn good portion of all my photos turn out just fine.

I do not get all excited when these new models come out.

I am still very happy with my K10. No complaints.

Doug