Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1040 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #1606
Veteran Member

One of the lenses I bought needed a -20 adjustment on the D800. That's as far as the camera can go. Would you return the lens for a replacement?

I'll do a more precise test today with a tripod and see if that's the true story. If it is, then I'll need a replacement as it still maybe just short of fully correcting the issue.

06-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #1607
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
That's a great photo Simon, but you're going to really have to pull out the stops to top the similar shot you took with the DA15 a while back!
Thanks, yeah its a re-cycled idea from a similar shot Ive done before with the DA15.

Alright, now this is one of the best photos I've ever seen from you Simon. Absolutely love it.

Sorry guys, I realize I'm making my way through this thread backwards haha.
Thanks Chris

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I just folded and bought a Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon (thanks Jay ). I thought I was all set until I got home and saw my car was spewing coolant all over the road. I had a feeling that things were just too good to be true and was waiting for something like this to happen.

Anyway, I now have a 21mm Zeiss, 50mm Sigma, 85mm Sigma and 150 Sigma. All that's left optically will be a Samyang 35 and I'll be happy to live with that lot as long as they keep working. The 150 needed a -20 adjustment though so I might ask for a replacement of that.

I'll be selling off all of my Pentax rig for sure now... Unfortunately I haven't been able to take any pictures worthy of uploading here today. /End of Rant.

Not so much a FF shot but a shot of a FF: DA*55 & K-5

After this I think that the only thread I'll be posting in is the "No More Test Shots" one....

As you can see I'm a keen gardener: Ive had an injured back for months and been unable to actually work in the yard.. The following shot is just to give you an idea of the lens/camera combo and not meant for artistic purposes (not that I need to actually mention that . lol)

Zeiss 2,8/21 Distagon: Shot was focused using DOF scale with regard to aperture and set to hyperfocal distance. ie. F/8 set to infinity using distance scale against set aperture. And now for my artistic shot (lol).

D800E & Zeiss 2.8/21 Distagon & f/8: It's a garbage picture but... Go to my Flickr page and select 'original' resolution. [make sure you have a soft landing ready for your jaw. ;-)]

Congrats on the Zeiss mate, looking foward to seeing what it can do!
QuoteOriginally posted by nibutto Quote
nikkor 50 f1.8d on used d700 nikon camera
cheap combo, high IQ....wake-up Pentax, we want FF!!!
Nice mate, did you too just recently make the switch?
06-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #1608
Pentaxian

One of the lenses I bought needed a -20 adjustment on the D800. That's as far as the camera can go. Would you return the lens for a replacement?

I'll do a more precise test today with a tripod and see if that's the true story. If it is, then I'll need a replacement as it still maybe just short of fully correcting the issue.
You'll get me into trouble with the wife - I have started looking at Zeiss glass for my Canon 5d mk III nearest shop with Zeiss only has the 21, but as I have a 20mm prime (the 2.8 - not stellar) and the 16 - 35L II which has seen better days and has quite a lot of distortion at the wide end, but usally does the job nicely. Am looking at the 35 f/2 distagon. I can find it second hand for around £600 at a reputable dealer or £850 new. the 1.4 is £600 more. I'll live with the f/2 just need to get hold of it....
06-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #1609
Veteran Member

Please don't get me looking at any more Zeiss lenses.. ;-)

I now have to sell sell sell and get my damned car fixed.. Rego due in 2 weeks as well.

06-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #1610
Pentaxian

Please don't get me looking at any more Zeiss lenses.. ;-)

I now have to sell sell sell and get my damned car fixed.. Rego due in 2 weeks as well.
wasn't meaning to tempt you, honest

35mm is a length I have often looked at, and while he 35L is highly revered, it's pricey. Couldn't get a decent price on it in Asia second hand so around £600 at Mint minus grade (at a store I bought a 645N graded at signs of wear which looked almost new to me) the 35 f/2 distagon looks good value. Still awaiting contact from pentax re my 645D which is in repair with a hefty repair charge, so shouldn't really be looking at all. I justified the purchase of the MK III as an ultra wide purchase instead of the DFA 25, and a great back up....
06-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #1611
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL.. I hear you.
Haha well I mean I'm saying that for myself as much as for you. I've really got my heart set on the D800, and if it pans out later this year I'm going to find myself pixel peeping like a champ. My basic plan is to just make downsampling the first step in my workflow unless I know conditions were perfect or I was on a tripod. 'Ah, but the focus on this girl's face was set to one follicle further over on her eyelashes than I meant to... each of which is resplendently detailed despite shooting from 50ft away with a normal lens...'

As for the lens with the serious focus adjustment requirements -- I would return it, yes. Might work fine on your current camera, but if you ever want to sell it or switch cameras, I think that's too close to the edge.
06-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #1612
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
wasn't meaning to tempt you, honest

35mm is a length I have often looked at, and while he 35L is highly revered, it's pricey. Couldn't get a decent price on it in Asia second hand so around £600 at Mint minus grade (at a store I bought a 645N graded at signs of wear which looked almost new to me) the 35 f/2 distagon looks good value. Still awaiting contact from pentax re my 645D which is in repair with a hefty repair charge, so shouldn't really be looking at all. I justified the purchase of the MK III as an ultra wide purchase instead of the DFA 25, and a great back up....
My final lens in the short term will be the Samyang 35/1.4.. and eventually some sort of telephoto, but only if I unload all my Pentax lenses. I'm selling both K-5 this week along with the DA*50-135 and Tamron 17-50.

06-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #1613
Veteran Member

Haha well I mean I'm saying that for myself as much as for you. I've really got my heart set on the D800, and if it pans out later this year I'm going to find myself pixel peeping like a champ. My basic plan is to just make downsampling the first step in my workflow unless I know conditions were perfect or I was on a tripod. 'Ah, but the focus on this girl's face was set to one follicle further over on her eyelashes than I meant to... each of which is resplendently detailed despite shooting from 50ft away with a normal lens...'

As for the lens with the serious focus adjustment requirements -- I would return it, yes. Might work fine on your current camera, but if you ever want to sell it or switch cameras, I think that's too close to the edge.
Thanks for the advice re' the lens.

And yes, I think I've taken a few pictures that exhibit follicle focus issues
06-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #1614

Steve, id either get it replaced, or take all your sigma lenses into CRK and get them to adjust them to match the body.
CRK will do that free under warranty.
06-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #1615
Veteran Member

Not a bad idea... it would have to go to Melbourne though as they don't do that stuff here. I thought for a moment you were going to tell me to take my Sigma lenses and shove 'em.. lol

This Sigma macro has started making clunking noises like the 1st one did in the shop that they shipped me. The OS system doesn't park the element in place between shots and after a few seconds the element drops down due to gravity - when I move the camera I can hear it clunking around inside the lens. When I 1/2 depress the shutter button the element kicks into place and the image shifts up by quite a long way in the VF and drops again when I let go the button. It's almost like the mirror is clunking up and down a few degrees. I can't believe this is normal as it wasn't doing it yesterday. When I remove it from the camera and wobble it in hand, looking at the rear of the lens, I can see it swishing all over the place. We tried this in the shop after seeing the 1st unit do it and this lens did NOT do it on Friday. The lens has had no hits or the like and was put in my bag when not in use.

Is there anyone here that can tell me if this is normal? The lens is pin sharp though.. I'll upload a shot here in a moment.
06-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #1616
Veteran Member

Raining today so I couldn't really go far... I thought I'd get a feel for the focal lengths and apertures on the FF. I'm lazy so all shots are hand held for now.

Zeiss 21 @ f/2.8

About 3 inches from the front element of the lens:

Zeiss 21 @ f/5.0

Sigma 50/1.4 @ f/1.4

Sigma 50/1.4 @ f/2.8

Sigma 84/1.4 @ f/1.4

It looks like my Sigma 150 might have to go back after two copies doing the same weird thing I'm inclined to believe in a bad batch or that it's just the way the lens is meant to function. I'm starting to wish I'd grabbed a Voigtlander 125/2.5. Manual focus is not all that bad really (even on a K-5) if you use Live View or Focus Confirmation in the VF.

PS: Apart from the 1st shot the rest are about as close as I could get. I was a bit surprised at the much longer MFD of the 85 compared to the 50, 21 & 150. I can definitely see the different uses each FL can have, especially where people are the subject matter.

Last edited by bossa; 06-03-2012 at 02:09 AM.
06-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #1617

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Nice mate, did you too just recently make the switch?
Was at the dealer last week looking for an FA31 to complete the "FA-triad".
The goal was to take only special Pentax lenses 31 43 77 100macroWR STOP.
(AF of the 55 is broken and I'm very angry!)

The dealer suggested me to try out an used D700 with that plastic fifty 1.8 afd (body and lens at the same price of the FA31....)

I had not ever done! Now, I got in big trouble....

I took only some shots to see how beneficial is full frame.
Bokeh,Viewfinder, ISO
impressed also by the working of the AFC (3d tracking)
and as last the AF fine tuning of that fifty on the D700 needs 0 "zero" adjustment.

I give myself 1 month for the decision cause I can't have 2 systems
The big advantage of Pentax is that body and lenses are so sexy while Nikon's gear fells bulky...IMO of course...
Bye
06-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #1618
Veteran Member

The dealer suggested me to try out an used D700 with that plastic fifty 1.8 afd (body and lens at the same price of the FA31....)

I took only some shots to see how beneficial is full frame.
Bokeh,Viewfinder, ISO
impressed also by the working of the AFC (3d tracking)
and as last the AF fine tuning of that fifty on the D700 needs 0 "zero" adjustment.

I give myself 1 month for the decision cause I can't have 2 systems
The big advantage of Pentax is that body and lenses are so sexy while Nikon's gear fells bulky...IMO of course...
Bye
Ahh okay, well enjoy it whislt you have Let us know who it all goes

50mm1.8G wide open
06-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #1619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like my Sigma 150 might have to go back after two copies doing the same weird thing I'm inclined to believe in a bad batch or that it's just the way the lens is meant to function. I'm starting to wish I'd grabbed a Voigtlander 125/2.5. Manual focus is not all that bad really (even on a K-5) if you use Live View or Focus Confirmation in the VF.

Back when I had my D700, at different times I had 2 used copies of the older non-OS Sigma 150/2.8 Macro. Both were outstanding in all ways, including optically, and required no AF adjustment. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe that design is more reliable. No OS, but I never really missed OS/VR on my D700, anyway. Oh, the other plus about the non-OS version - used copies in great shape go for $500-$550 on FM forums.
06-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #1620
Veteran Member

Original Poster

FWIW, trying the D700 combined with the little 50 1.8D was what pushed me to FF in the first place as well - a simple little combo with so much utility and potential...