Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
YBut it's a very capable camera that offers me a few things the Nikon's don't. (D300 ad D700) like SR, small size, video, etc.
i'm finding the noise level of the d300 to be quite poor tbh, i'm guessing the kx would probably beat it- but how much better is the d700 than the kx?

I agree with you on the 'camera doesn't matter front, I recently shot a couple of models and I used an aging ist Dl and a d300, great shots out of both cameras, nothing about the d300 blew me away in terms of IQ- the AF performance did though...

08-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I should have taken the time to do some comparisons between the K-x and D700 using the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. I had both here for a few weeks but recently sold the Pentax mount.

I have a DA16-45mm coming and when it arrives I'll use that to make comarison shots.

FWIW the D700 retains better detail at 3200 and 6400. Plus the chroma noise is much better controlled and the Lum noise is very fine and easily adjusted for. But we'll discuss that in a different thread when the lens arrives.
08-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #33
Inactive Account

I should have taken the time to do some comparisons between the K-x and D700 using the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. I had both here for a few weeks but recently sold the Pentax mount.

I have a DA16-45mm coming and when it arrives I'll use that to make comarison shots.

FWIW the D700 retains better detail at 3200 and 6400. Plus the chroma noise is much better controlled and the Lum noise is very fine and easily adjusted for. But we'll discuss that in a different thread when the lens arrives.
awesome, thanks

the results of my unscientific test, and a full day's shooting basically said to me that there is no difference in the noise between a 5 year old £200 camera and a brand new £1000 nikon d300, which tells me unless the kx is a serious improvement (and i'm maybe inclined to believe it is) that there's no noise 'advantage' from one camera to another, and that to get any real benefit you have to go full frame

that being said I was only using high iso to tweak exposure- low light work would likely give very different results

but yeah, save it for another thread
thanks
08-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #34
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Some FF and very wide shots with slow shutter speeds

We have a summer fair here in Charlottetown PEI called "Old Home Week". Some of the main features are a week of harness racing and the summer fair.

D700, Sigma 12-24mm, monopod and all shot at ISO200.
F22, 3 sec 12mm

F5.6, 1/5 sec 12mm

F18, 1/2 sec 12mm

F18, 0.8 sec 12mm

08-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lovely shots & colours
08-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #36

Some shots from my D700 + 24-70 f2.8

Recently had an opportunity to spend a couple of days in Denver, Colorado.. very interesting city with unique public art (perhaps will post some examples in another post). Hopefully I will get to spend more time there and the surround area in the near future as I hear it's a very beautiful area. Things I really appreciate about the Nikon camera/lens combo over my Pentax gear: extremely quick AF, excellent matrix metering, sharp at all aperatures, high ISO cleanliness, and great dynamic range.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of the other pro-caliber Nikkor zooms such as the 70-200 f2.8 and 17-35 f2.8 in a couple of weeks as I'll be renting them along with an SB-900 flash and MB-D10 grip.. something I can't do (around here in Toronto) is rent Pentax gear.
08-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #37
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

twilight_samurai,
Very nice series but that last shot is stunning. One of the best images I've seen in quite some time. Well done!

08-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #38

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your kind words!

I posted that same image on NikonCafe and a few people suggested to crop out the dumpster and the lamp directly above it because they found it too distracting.. which was quite the opposite to how I felt. But I tried it anyway and posted a comparison.. to me, they totally add to the mood of the picture and should stay in the frame, so I chose to post that version here thinking that PentaxForums members might appreciate it more.
08-25-2010, 02:56 AM   #39
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This "distracting" comment pops up a bit too often IMO. The dumpster adds to the mood so do the lights, which shows the source of the shadows. Distracting is a tree directly behind the subject's head, Lens flare over a face, dust spots in the sky, etc. Too many comments this way, want these sterilized images that have had too much cropping and cloning. Not real life which isn't neat and tidy.

The dumpster tells a story and puts context to the image. He's in an alley, most likely behind a bar, after a night of playing or on a break between sets. Remove the right side and you have a guy with a guitar leaning against a wall, no story.,
08-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #40
Veteran Member

This "distracting" comment pops up a bit too often IMO. The dumpster adds to the mood so do the lights, which shows the source of the shadows. Distracting is a tree directly behind the subject's head, Lens flare over a face, dust spots in the sky, etc. Too many comments this way, want these sterilized images that have had too much cropping and cloning. Not real life which isn't neat and tidy.

The dumpster tells a story and puts context to the image. He's in an alley, most likely behind a bar, after a night of playing or on a break between sets. Remove the right side and you have a guy with a guitar leaning against a wall, no story.,
I think people get confused between having a solid point of interest and making that point of interest the only point in the scene, which a lot of times is too simplistic, and like you said, can look unnatural. Personally, I tend to like a photo with some "clutter" in it, because the tension that is created between the clutter and the more interesting part of the photo makes the photo more interesting as a whole.

Twilight, instead of cropping, you could try some selective dodging and burning to bring out different parts of the photo. I'm thinking if you could darken the bright part of the dumpster just slightly it might make it less distracting while still allowing it to maintain its presence in the photo. On the other hand, I kind of like it the way it is
08-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilight_samurai Quote

I posted that same image on NikonCafe and a few people suggested to crop out the dumpster and the lamp directly above it because they found it too distracting.. which was quite the opposite to how I felt. But I tried it anyway and posted a comparison.. to me, they totally add to the mood of the picture and should stay in the frame, so I chose to post that version here thinking that PentaxForums members might appreciate it more.

I wouldn't count on NikonCafe as a point of reference as for most users of that site, Topaz plugins and HDR is the top of their photographic creativity and judgment... Demographics is really weird there...

That being said, the picture in question would definitely benefit from a good clean up and, like somebody suggested, some dramatic dodging and burning...
08-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I wouldn't count on NikonCafe as a point of reference as for most users of that site, Topaz plugins and HDR is the top of their photographic creativity and judgment... Demographics is really weird there...

That being said, the picture in question would definitely benefit from a good clean up and, like somebody suggested, some dramatic dodging and burning...
I think that maybe a little burning would be ok. However, the "messiness" of it adds to the honesty.
08-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #43

Thanks everyone for the constructive comments regarding my image. I didn't do much PP on it, just a bit of work in Lightroom, but I will try to do a bit of dodging and burning and see what results from that.. I don't think I've EVER used that PP technique as I'm not too familiar with the process but I'll read up on it and try it out.
10-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Nikon 180 f/2.8 on D700

More at 180mm.

f/4

f/2.8

f/4

f/2.8

f/2.8

Crop of above:

Last edited by jsherman999; 05-31-2011 at 06:13 PM.
10-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Yeah, I kind of regret selling mine.

p.s., Jay, you aren't interested in a 16-35/4 VR, are you?