Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #691
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
JT, you can't just post these great shots and not tell us more. Good Lord man! where were you and do you do this often? (I guess so looking at the gear). Wonderful images.

DWB. Cool wedding. I shoot 30+ a year but never like this. I love unique weddings that have a cultural flare and different that the traditional North American style.

Now speaking of weddings. Although bookings are solid, the "Weekend Warriors" and Uncle Bob's are causing price pressures that's making things tougher. So I've decided to get into Maternity and Baby photography. It's tougher in some ways and you should have some studio gear which many hobbyists don't own. It's challenging in that baby's are harder to 'control'. One thing I'm considering is adding a new strobe. I have 2 that recycle in less than a second but Alien Bees have near zero recycle times. This seems required with kids as they react so darn quickly and you can never get them to repeat things.

So here's a couple samples from my second ever maternity session. Funny thing is, I over prepared the gear (the shot was done at their home) and was nervous for the first time in a long time. I grabbed the D700 with 85mm f1.8 attached. I completely forgot to take the lens belt and showed up at the house with only that lens.

It forced me to shoot with the 85mm only and I use zooms much of the time. It was nice and really made me think more about composing. Comments welcome.
Hi Peter--it is sooo good to hear form you here. I am happy you like the pics: they all come from the hike up to, and return from, Mt Lafayette in New Hampshire. Hiking is a passion of mine, 1 which I engage in all 4 seasons. You are right using the word cool for Mr Wolfbones--he always seems to be doing cool stuff. And speaking of words, it is so appropriate you use the words "babies" and "challenging" in the same sentence, eh? However, the words "control" and "babies" do not belong in the same sentence--LOL.

I love your shots, especially the two @ f2--great use of DOF to make a pic--set a mood. This is a great lens and one of the reasons I bought into Nikon. You also do a fine job with the lens @ f/13. From what I see here, you excel in this genre of picture taking. Always wishing the best to high caliber Pentaxians like yourself.

JT

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 02-08-2012 at 10:26 PM.
02-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #692
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buskel Quote
My bodyguard, taken with a D3 and a 50 1.8D.
Love this shot and love this lens--thank you.

JT
02-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #693

I'm currently taking a D700 + 50mm f1.8G for a "test run" and I must say.... I am TOTALLY blown away. Sure the resolution isnt as high as the k5, but damn the images have a beautiful 3d look to them, and are super sharp!!

But the main thing... The autofocus! It is incredible - even in near darkness without the assist lamp!
02-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #694
Veteran Member

I see this lens going for $50 to $125--I paid for $115 for this one--like new minus, from Keh last week. Here are some recent shots I did with it. It provides UWA to Wide Angle on the D700. Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 02-13-2012 at 11:17 PM.
02-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #695
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I see this lens going for $50 to $125--I paid for $115 for this one--like new minus, from Keh last week. Here are some recent shots I did with it. It provides UWA to Wide Angle on the D700.
What lens is it?

02-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #696
Veteran Member

Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5

My apology--meant to put it in the title, but forgot somehow. It is the Tamron 19-35 f/3.5-4.5. I'l fix that with an Eidt--thanks Jay.

JT
02-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #697
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Here are some from a snowshoe hike I did last weekend. All shots were taken with a Tamron zoom I paid $125 for @ Keh. I love the D700 in ways I could never express!
The White Mountains! While actually white!

02-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #698
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jay, it's a great lens as JT has shown. If you're looking for something like this another alternative is the Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4. Harder to find and closer to $250-300 but it's faster and the 2mm makes a difference at the wide end. Also very sharp. I've got one and really like it. If you don't care about the speed and 2mm, the 19-35mm is a heck of a deal and a solidly built lens.

We don't have a lens review here for it (odd) but I found it here: FM Reviews - Tamron AF 19-35MM F/3.5-4.5
02-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #699
Veteran Member

So for basic PK mount lens adaption, are Nikon's easier to mount a PK lens on? I've read that you need to remove your aperture arm/level to mount on a Canon EOS body..
I'm really looking at a FF alternative since Pentax $#!T the bed again on the FF market.. I would LOVE to use my 43Ltd and others on FF, just choosing between the 5D Mark II and the D800 now.. 5D Mark III won't be out until the fall, and I't not waiting that long, by then I might has well wait for another year for Pentax to remove their heads from their butts.
02-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #700
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are making the switch (I'm not advising this one way or the other). IMO sell the gear you have and start fresh with the brand of your choice. The Canon route hacks the Pentax lens and the Nikon route requires an optical adapter that will degrade IQ (different registration distance).

You'll see from this thread that many have chosen the Nikon route, partly because the D700 had no peer and partly (my reason) because of the superior flash system and the controls are very similar to Pentax. I hated the Canon wheel on the back vs the aperture control dial the same as a Pentax designed body. I found it took me 1-2 days to make the 'mental' switch to the new control layout on a Nikon but I confess, even after more than a year, I still try to twist the lens off the wrong way and a few other things.
02-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #701
Veteran Member

I found it took me 1-2 days to make the 'mental' switch to the new control layout on a Nikon but I confess, even after more than a year, I still try to twist the lens off the wrong way and a few other things.
Yeah, it's been almost 6 months since I bought the D700 and I still find myself turning the lenses the "wrong" way.
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #702
Inactive Account

If you are making the switch (I'm not advising this one way or the other). IMO sell the gear you have and start fresh with the brand of your choice. The Canon route hacks the Pentax lens and the Nikon route requires an optical adapter that will degrade IQ (different registration distance).

You'll see from this thread that many have chosen the Nikon route, partly because the D700 had no peer and partly (my reason) because of the superior flash system and the controls are very similar to Pentax. I hated the Canon wheel on the back vs the aperture control dial the same as a Pentax designed body. I found it took me 1-2 days to make the 'mental' switch to the new control layout on a Nikon but I confess, even after more than a year, I still try to twist the lens off the wrong way and a few other things.
LOL..me too!

I love the D700 so much I went out and bought a second one yesterday

D300s is a good back up, but I love the D700 so much I'm not willing to make any compromises.

c[_]

P.S. Peter...the maternity shots look great!
02-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #703
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm a little bit torn on which way to go.. I would LOVE to be able to film the kids and other stuff @ 1080P 60 FPS which can be done via Magic Lantern firmware on the 5D MarkII, but the D700 is unrivaled for IQ at it's price, but lacks video.. the D800 would be great and I could go that way.. but if I want video, I want 1080 @ 60 FPS.. my damn phone can do 1080P @ 30 FPS..
02-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
The White Mountains! While actually white!
Yes--the advantages to Winter hiking are numerous, for example:

1) no bugs
2) few people
3) no tree roots, loose rocks to trip you up
4) soft, deep snow makes descents a breeze
5) cool temps make for better visibility--less distortions in atmosphere

Speaking of the color White, you will not only understand the meaning of the shot below, but appreciate it as well. Done with a $50 Tamron Adapall lens on the D700 (23a). I do not hear enough people discussing the more plentiful supply of shallow DOF which comes with FF package.

How many people do you suppose have done the AT, completely within Calendar-Winter?

02-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Yeah, it's been almost 6 months since I bought the D700 and I still find myself turning the lenses the "wrong" way.
Come on now, such a trivial price to pay for the rewards gained. Good thing you can set the wheels on the D700 to personal likes. I think if the wheels had opposite functions on the D700, then I would have real problems since I love manual mode. BTW, the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro you sold me is awesome on the D700, though no bugs currently are courageous enough to invade the New England No-Fly zone. So I'm walking about, to and fro, shooting all kinds of things these days. One looks a little odd, roaming city streets with a Sigma 150 and a D700. For this reason, and to avail myself to the 1.5 crop factor for Macro work, especially, I just (1 hour ago) bought a D90 with a 3 lens kit. I did not want, nor need the 3 APS-c lenses--I did not want, nor need the 3 APS-c lenses--I did not want, nor need the 3 APS-c lenses. LOL