Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes--the advantages to Winter hiking are numerous, for example:

1) no bugs
2) few people
3) no tree roots, loose rocks to trip you up
4) soft, deep snow makes descents a breeze
5) cool temps make for better visibility--less distortions in atmosphere

Speaking of the color White, you will not only understand the meaning of the shot below, but appreciate it as well. Done with a $50 Tamron Adapall lens on the D700 (23a). I do not hear enough people discussing the more plentiful supply of shallow DOF which comes with FF package.

How many people do you suppose have done the AT, completely within Calendar-Winter?
Those all sound like great things, though when I was going through in September there were no bugs, and people were starting to dwindle (except within a mile of the huts). The Whites are a place I'd love to return to without the pressure of miles to keep, so I could afford to bring a bag of lenses and be actively seeking great shots.

As to the photo, I do appreciate it. I have one just like it ;-)

Few people I imagine have done the AT solely in the Winter...

02-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #707
Veteran Member

Come on now, such a trivial price to pay for the rewards gained.
True, and I wasn't really complaining For me it's usually that I initially twist the lens the "wrong" way when I go to remove or install a lens. Thankfully I have weaks hands so the chances of doing any damage is minimal

BTW, the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro you sold me is awesome on the D700
Glad you're enjoying it. Certainly if I were to further divest my Pentax lenses, I'd strongly consider picking up another Sigmas 150. As it stands now, I have the 35, 100WR and A*200/4 macros for my K-5, so I'm more than covered in the macro deptarment, especially for someone who's not all that into taking macros

I did not want, nor need the 3 APS-c lenses
And yet you ended up with them I'm in no position to judge. See my last statement above regarding the three macro lenses...
02-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #708
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes--the advantages to Winter hiking are numerous, for example:

1) no bugs
2) few people
3) no tree roots, loose rocks to trip you up
4) soft, deep snow makes descents a breeze
5) cool temps make for better visibility--less distortions in atmosphere

Speaking of the color White, you will not only understand the meaning of the shot below, but appreciate it as well. Done with a $50 Tamron Adapall lens on the D700 (23a). I do not hear enough people discussing the more plentiful supply of shallow DOF which comes with FF package.

How many people do you suppose have done the AT, completely within Calendar-Winter?
Wow.. Glad to see this shot.. I LOVE my 23A, it is by far my most versatile lens! I threw my 01B 24mm f2.5 on my Super Program and was surprised with it's barrel distortion that I never noticed cropped on the K-5!
02-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #709
Veteran Member

A year ago, my Pentax K-5 arrived and I took it to the Chicago Auto Show on the delivery date for its first shoot.

This year, without realizing it, my Nikon D3 arrived on the very day I was planning to visit the Chicago Auto Show again.. What a coincidence

I'm stunned by the camera's performance and how 3D the photos look, even with a cheap 35/1.8G DX lens mounted (while I await the arrival of my 50/1.4G tomorrow). The huge viewfinder and the instantaneous blackout is such a joy to use too. I really like how the D3 feels in my hand, and it was easy to adjust from a Pentax history. I didn't feel the same way when I used a D300 previously though...

One thing I really liked on the D3 was the ability to lock down my aperture setting (in Av mode) because I'm always accidentally nudging the dial to a different aperture and not realizing it till something screws up.

Some photos:

manual focused on the hood ornament figurine, so easy, unlike trying to do the same on my K-5/K20D

51-point 3D-tracking was a bit overkill for this kiddy ride, but it was nonetheless impressive

02-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #710

Oh, stunning pictures from the D3 there! WOW!
02-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #711
Veteran Member

This FF itch of mine needs to get scratched soon!!! Can't wait for the D800 to hit shelves.. so far that looks like it for me.
02-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #712
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time for a bird shot

02-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #713
Veteran Member

Nice shooting guys: the cars & the birds look excellent. One of Tamron's more interesting undertakings in a long time--for those who haven't seen it.

Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
02-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #714
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote

I'm stunned by the camera's performance and how 3D the photos look, even with a cheap 35/1.8G DX lens mounted (while I await the arrival of my 50/1.4G tomorrow). The huge viewfinder and the instantaneous blackout is such a joy to use too. I really like how the D3 feels in my hand, and it was easy to adjust from a Pentax history. I didn't feel the same way when I used a D300 previously though...

Very nice! Were those taken with the 35 1.8G in DX or FX mode?

02-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #715
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Very nice! Were those taken with the 35 1.8G in DX or FX mode?

FX mode of course! I didn't buy a D3 to shoot in DX mode But the corner vignetting is pretty severe and the lens is close to unusable outdoors.

On the upside, my 50/1.4G just arrived so that will be my primary lens for now.

I also have the 35/1.8(DX), 70-200VR1, 14-24 for the next couple of months - the perks of being the President of the school's photography club, but I'll only use those lens for sports and paid event shoots, trying to keep things simple for my personal photography.
02-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #716
Pentaxian

some 'natural' B&W reflections with D700, meaning these were not converted.

02-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #717
Veteran Member

darren - very nice pictures.
02-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #718
Veteran Member

How far can CBA progress? I found this thread @ DPreview: amazing. This guy has had his Amex number stolen, but will not cancel the card because he fears it may negatively impact his wait for a D800. Here is his actual post:

"Someone has my Amex card info and has been trying to buy stuff online lately - luckily, it's been caught by security at the companies they were ordering from (they seem to like Nordstroms, for some reason).

Of course, the first thought was to call Amex and cancel the card. Then I realized I got in line pretty early (within 20 minutes) for the D800. If I change my payment info (giving them my replacement Amex info), will it impact my place in line? Has this scenario happened to anyone here before? How did it turn out?

For now, I'm just keeping an eye on all purchases and hoping that more don't come in. I was able to get the email address used for the prior order they tried, and then sent a trap to get their IP - I think that may have scared them off as there has been no further activity. The IP was coming from Vietnam - though who knows where the thief really was."

Here is a direct link to the thread:

Change payment option at B&H?: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #719
Site Supporter

A man's credit card was stolen, but he decided not to report it. The thief was spending less than his wife did.

(not my joke, I have no idea who said it)
02-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #720
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How far can CBA progress? I found this thread @ DPreview: amazing. This guy has had his Amex number stolen, but will not cancel the card because he fears it may negatively impact his wait for a D800. Here is his actual post:

Here is a direct link to the thread:

Change payment option at B&H?: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

FWIW, that thread was a joke - everything that guy (nonyabidnes) posts is a joke, but usually very funny, because 3/4 of the responders don't realize he's joking and get pretty flustered with what he's saying. Check out this thread:

QuoteQuote:
QuoteOriginally posted by Marianne Oelund:

QuoteOriginally posted by noneyabidnis:
I want wild bears. Like the ones I took in years past. As you can see, I wasn't very good at getting close until lately. I've since learned to approach more quietly on foot so they don't get scared away. Plus, I want them to have cubs around so I can play with them!!
That would likely be the last thing you ever do in this world.
You don't know me. I am very good with animals. I have a lot of experience. Like with my pet Shih Tzu - when he gets too rough and bites a little too hard, I stop playing and yell "Owwww! That hurt!!! You ruined the game!" and we have a timeout until he calms down.
It might take the bear cubs a few tries to understand, but they will pick up on that they are being too rough. And I figure it's better to start when they are smaller, that way it won't hurt so much when they bite.