Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 10:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some Full-frame shots & thoughts

I had several lens-specific threads in the now-defunct sister forum, and since they've gone away, I'll post some of those images here.

If you have some FF (or APS-H!) shots or thoughts you'd like to share, please feel free to do so in this thread!

I'll start with my favorite Nikon lens, the 180 2.8 AF-N. I always liken this to a Limited - metal build, smallish for the FL, exceptional IQ.

f/4

f/5

f/4

f/3.5

(these next 7 color are from the Nikon 50 1.8D, all between ISO 3200 --> 4500, f/4)
Note: It was extremely hot that day!

(back to 180, f/3.5)

Last edited by jsherman999; 03-11-2012 at 07:27 AM.
08-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll play. Haven't had the camera long and not many "personal shots" yet. Nice work Jay.

08-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have mentioned this in other threads, but the main thing I love about full frame is the ability to take wide angle shots with a fast prime. I second shot for a wedding shooter a few weeks ago and he lent me his third body (Canon 5D) with a 24 f/1.4 on it to duo with my K-7 and lenses. It was so fun to try and the combo worked well enough together that I am considering buying a 5D just for the option of pairing the 24 f/1.4 with what I already can get with Pentax. The High ISO performance isn't as important to me. Or, I'll put it this way, it isn't important enough to me to spend more than $4,000 buying the camera and the lens.

On a side note, it was the first time I had ever used a Canon. Stupid rear wheel!

Some photos from the day with the 5D.

(Not the most flattering shot of the bride I took during the day, true, but I still enjoy it.)

08-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I agree. It's nice when 28mm = 28mm. I find the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di is an entirely different lens on FF.

I picked up the Sigma 12-24mm and that's W I D E. Fun to shoot with.

I agree that the rear wheel on a Canon is a Pita. Try shooting flash with a grip. That's no fun at all.

08-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool insights guys, and some fine results.
Is it just that the wheel is awkwardly placed, or is there something else quirky about that wheel?
08-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Is it just that the wheel is awkwardly placed, or is there something else quirky about that wheel?
I think it's both the placement and the size of the wheel that are awkward for me, although both are probably largely due to the fact that I'm so used to the way Pentax does things. Instead of having a front and rear adjustment wheel of identical size and roughly identical placement near the shutter button where quick adjustments can be made, Canon's rear wheel is a large, circular joystick wheel located on the back of the camera roughly where the Pentax OK button would be. This might work well for some people, but it was annoying for a user new to the system.

On another note, the Canon 5D is also probably about as large of a camera as I would want to own, although I still much prefer the K-7's size. I carried the main shooter's Canon 1D Mark IV + L zoom across the room for him while we were getting setup and it felt more like a bowling ball than a camera. No wonder why athletes are always getting hurt when they land on the photographers
08-14-2010, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Either every Nikon lens I've used is great, or the D700 sensor makes every lens look good.

Some from me:

First the Nikon 16-35/4 VRII:

Now the Nikon 24-70/2.8:

Now the Sigma 100-300/4:

Now the Helios 44M:

Now the Nikkor 135/2:

Now the Nikon 35/2:

More later.

08-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Cool insights guys, and some fine results.
I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. The big wheel as opposed to the smaller "thumb wheels" on many cameras lets you put your thumb just about anywhere on its edge, and makes it easy to use no matter the shape and size of your hand. In my opinion, that is.

Not posting any FF shots, been shooting my 7D a lot lately and I am continuously amazed at how good it is. I saw it as a 50D with better AF and movie stuff, but it is an entirely different camera. ISO 3200 I don't even worry about now, and ISO 6400 is perfectly fine unless making really large prints.
08-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like the wheel because with a grip, it's tough to reach with my thumb and I have fairly large hands. Since I shoot more than 50% in portrait mode and shoot flash all the time, Aperture control that is fast and comfortable, is critical. I much prefer the (IMO locigal) Nikon/Pentax way of dual dials. I think Canon has just been building their cameras this way for so long, they can't change. it would be like admitting the Nikon style is better.

I shot a weekend with the 7D and grip and knew I'd never buy that combo just because of this. Very nice camera but after 750 shots, it still wasn't as easy/fluid to use for me.
08-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

DWB. I'm a little mystified myself. I have 8 lenses now. Ranging from 12mm to 400mm (3 primes in a 400mm 85/1.8D and 50/1.4G).

In every case, zoom or prime, I'm shocked how detailed and sharp the images are even when pixel peeping. Another thing is SR. I really thought I'd miss it a lot more than I do. Now this might be that I shot film since the late 1970's and have a decent technique. I am not missing many shots from the lack of SR. I only have the 24-120mm that has VR.
08-15-2010, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having received a Leica M9 for my birthday, and having being told about a Leica M to Pentax K mount adapter made by novoflex it looks like I'll be doing a few lens comparisons with Pentax lenses and their Leica counterparts. I have ordered the adapter.

lenses I'll be testing

Pentax FA31mm f/1.8 Limited Vs Leica summilix and summicron 35mm f/1.4/f/2 lenses both Asph and pre-Asph versions
Pentax 43mm f/1.9 Limited in Leica M mount Vs Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4
Pentax 50mm f/1.2 Vs Leica noctilux 50mm f/1.0, Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.2
Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited Vs Leica summilux 77mm f/1.4

though working with the pentax lenses will be tricky, because there won't be any range-finder coupling.
08-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Peter

Interesting to see that you now have the D700/300;-)

I can remember a while back how you defended the K7 and the KX as the kinda perfect partnership - is this still so?

I have been sitting on the fence re: change to Nikon ff and remember your comments from a
another thread and actually decided to hold off.

Keen to know your new thoughts and findings using Nikon equipment

Regards

Dylan
08-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
and
Veteran Member

Many great shots in the thread, love how you can draw the subject out of the background, even at f4 and higher, just becomes more 3dish in general. Also the 12mp nikon sensor is just fantastic in general. I hope they keep refining it like they did when they went to the d3s instead of going crazy on the mp like canon. I guess canon will go 30mp in their next iteration
08-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Some FF Wide Madness

I got a Sigma 12-24mm on Friday and had a small wedding this Sunday. Afterwards, I had some time to play with it. I owned this lens in Pentax once. Massive difference in how wide this is in FF. around 125 degrees. It's a sharper lens than the 10-20mm. For me, I think perfect as I'm not a fisheye fan.

With these 2, it's hard to really show the size but the church is about 6 stories high and can seat maybe 4-500 people inside. D700, both at 12mm f8 inside ISO6400 and outside f11 ISO 1600. No NR.

Another thing with this to watch out is getting the lines straight in the VF before taking the shot. I'm ever so slightly off center with the outside shot and with the distortion and perspective, it's not possible to make everything look straight by simply straightening the shot. Now I need to search for a good perspective adjustment tool. Not crazy about how CS handles this.

Name:  PCF_7561.jpg
Views: 12901
Size:  236.6 KB

Name:  PCF_7571.jpg
Views: 12379
Size:  252.7 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 08-16-2010 at 04:27 AM.
08-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

dylansalt, I'll reply via PM.