Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1040 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #1396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
as much as in general I agree with your "over-simplified" conclusion, the f1.4 shot sure makes me glad I bought Canon 50/1.4 and not the Sigma. Although the Sigi has a lot going for it and most of the shots you post with it are truly great, highlight rendering such as in the first shot would make me want to throw it out of the window very often. I'm not saying the Canon lens is without it's faults but in 5 months of shooting it I never run into highlights rendering like that...

my 2p
Well said but the Nikon offering I had was so bad I had to act and there really wasn't anything up to the mark but the Sigma.

The highlights (onion rings) are due to the aspheric element, but I can live with them after the BS I saw with that 50/1.4 G.

Besides.. I have a D800E () which has a few redeeming features of it's own.

my AU$0.02

(Forgive me, it's Saturday Night )

PS: If your Canon looks like this at f/1.4 then please show me. I'm looking for as much education as I can get and ASAP. (100% crop at f/1.4)

Last edited by bossa; 05-19-2012 at 05:19 AM.
05-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #1397
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
There was a small exhibition last, organised in an old castle otherwise not open to the public.

Bart, those are fantastic, especially the one above. The composition & simple but completely effective processing on that one blow me away.

(Wow, this thread is very busy with a lot of FF converts!)
05-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #1398
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Well said but the Nikon offering I had was so bad I had to act and there really wasn't anything up to the mark but the Sigma.

The highlights (onion rings) are due to the aspheric element, but I can live with them after the BS I saw with that 50/1.4 G.

my AU$0.02

PS: If your Canon looks like this at f/1.4 then please show me. I'm looking for as much education as I can get and ASAP. (100% crop at f/1.4)

As I said, the Canon is not without it's faults, and I doubt it's as sharp as the Sigma at f1.4. Even if it was, I'm using it on 10mpx APSH sensor so comparison to 36mpx FF sensor without AA filter are simply impossible...
But since it Saturday night where you are, I just take it as such....
05-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #1399
Pentaxian

great series Bart, as usually.
Since you are already in Leica M system, and you like B&Ws are you interested in M-monochrom?
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Bart, those are fantastic, especially the one above. The composition & simple but completely effective processing on that one blow me away.

(Wow, this thread is very busy with a lot of FF converts!)
Thank you for the kind comments! Really appreciated!

As for the M Monochrom, yes I am interested for sure but only as a second Leica and that is not going to happen

Well, unless I win the lottery.

05-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #1400
Pentaxian

Arrived back in the Lake district again. Short walk out and grabbed this shot of a fly enjoying some nectar from a buttercup

Canon 5D mk III EF 180 f/3.5L at f/11 1/200 ISO 800 Manual focus handheld

05-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #1401
Veteran Member

my AU$0.02

I guess the 50 1.4G was really a dud, huh? Here's a shot of mine wide open. I focused on her eye ... glasses. I can't really find a flaw with mine. SOOC.

I'm not trying to start an argument, BTW. I know all lenses vary.

And here's another, just because. 20mm 2.8D wide open. Probably should have stopped this down a bit for optimal sharpness ... the buildings on either side look like doo-doo full size.

Last edited by gtxtom; 05-19-2012 at 12:46 PM.
05-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #1402
Veteran Member

As I said, the Canon is not without it's faults, and I doubt it's as sharp as the Sigma at f1.4. Even if it was, I'm using it on 10mpx APSH sensor so comparison to 36mpx FF sensor without AA filter are simply impossible...
But since it Saturday night where you are, I just take it as such....
Cheers mate (no I'm not having a beer) for the good attitude.

Sunday morning now and I'm more affable.

Steve

05-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #1403
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
I guess the 50 1.4G was really a dud, huh? Here's a shot of mine wide open. I focused on her eye ... glasses. I can't really find a flaw with mine. SOOC.

I'm not trying to start an argument, BTW. I know all lenses vary.

And here's another, just because. 20mm 2.8D wide open. Probably should have stopped this down a bit for optimal sharpness ... the buildings on either side look like doo-doo full size.

That image of the girl is soft and perhaps out of focus.

The lens had a decent overall 'look' to it but I found it wasn't sharp until f2.8 and as such I may as well have bought a 2.8 Macro.
05-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #1404
Veteran Member

That image of the girl is soft and perhaps out of focus.

The lens had a decent overall 'look' to it but I found it wasn't sharp until f2.8 and as such I may as well have bought a 2.8 Macro.
TBH, my shot is SOOC (and she never cleans her glasses, etc., excuses, excuses ), and it seems like the cat shot has been sharpened in post? Either way, my lens still might not be 100% fine-tuned and I'm definitely happy with it. Anyway, not to drag this out any further, I'll leave it at that I guess

I was actually out today to take some pictures for a ramen shop she works at. They wanted some shots to show the different kinds in store and on the website. I'm sort of interested to see how they will look blown up.

05-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #1405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
TBH, my shot is SOOC (and she never cleans her glasses, etc., excuses, excuses ), and it seems like the cat shot has been sharpened in post? Either way, my lens still might not be 100% fine-tuned and I'm definitely happy with it. Anyway, not to drag this out any further, I'll leave it at that I guess

I was actually out today to take some pictures for a ramen shop she works at. They wanted some shots to show the different kinds in store and on the website. I'm sort of interested to see how they will look blown up.

Your lens does appear better than the one I had.

For the record that cat picture has a touch of sharpening but not as much as I would have done on my K-5 due to the lack of AA filter in the D800E.

Regarding SOOC: RAW files are meant to be developed as they a Digital Negative files containing pretty much raw information. SOOC would only mean something if it was a developed file like a Jpeg AFAIK.
05-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #1406
Veteran Member

Your lens does appear better than the one I had.

For the record that cat picture has a touch of sharpening but not as much as I would have done on my K-5 due to the lack of AA filter in the D800E.

Regarding SOOC: RAW files are meant to be developed as they a Digital Negative files containing pretty much raw information. SOOC would only mean something if it was a developed file like a Jpeg AFAIK.
This was a JPEG. Call me lame, but I haven't gotten around to shooting RAW with the D800 yet as files have been killing my puny cheapo Compaq laptop as it is

Anyway, I have been trying to not break out the focus test chart I printed when trying to alleviate my K-5 focus issues, but the more I look at the 100% of that picture, the more I want to do more fine-tuning of the focus. Her hair looks finely detailed, but her sunglasses do not. And I'm not sure if that's due to the fact that they are always filthy, or the shot was out of focus ...
05-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #1407
Veteran Member

I just checked my cat picture in LR and there was a touch too much sharpening applied. Thanks for the observation.
05-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #1408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
There was a small exhibition last, organised in an old castle otherwise not open to the public.
phenomenal
05-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #1409
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My youngest turned 5 today, so many shots just a few of the highlights
50mm1.8G-

Rest are 85mm1.8G most are between f/1.8-f/2.2

Pretty heavy crop wide open-

Wide open-
05-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #1410
Pentaxian