Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1040 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #2176
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
By far the worst thing about Nikon is the screwed up direction of changing lenses - it is so illogical (even being left handed wouldn't help) and it's much slower to change - even for experienced Nikon users - with more chance of dropping something (the camera or the lens), whilst on Pentax it is a simple one handed operation (plus the 3rd finger of your right hand) !
Agreed, think it's got to do with the original design of the F mount back when camera bodies were small relative to the lenses. Anyway here's how I change my lens: I grab the body with my left hand and point the lens to the right, grab around the lens with my right hand with the index finger closest to the lens mount and the tip of the finger near the lens release button, depress the lens release button with the right index finger while grabbing the lens, twist lens away. Definitely not as simple as the perfect Pentax way, but practice makes good enough!

08-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #2177
Pentaxian

A deal being done on a live crab in Seoul fish market:

Canon 5D mk III EF 24 - 70 L at f/6.3 and 52mm 1/50 ISO 800

and lunch:

50mm 1/50 f/8 ISO 800

08-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #2178
Pentaxian

Took a stroll around the centre of Seoul, including visiting a fascinating Henri Cartier Besson exhibition at Seoul's Sejong Centre. After we left we took astroll along the very long traffic island which has a statue of the Emporor Sejong who was responsible for giving the Korean people their language and freedom from the Japanese influence at the time.

I have a very hard working colleague in Seoul who is always good company:

Canon 5D mk III EF 24 - 70L at 68mm and f/8 1/125 ISO 125

The Sejong statue:

Canon 5D mk III EF 24 - 70 at f/8 and 43mm 1/125 ISO 125

We took a stroll in an area where a river has been restored by removing the road. On a warm day it was very popular with people relaxing. It might have little aesthetic value but took this shot with a view to converting to Black and white. While I endeavour to get things right, decided to experiment with triangular shapes in a high contrast area:

f/5.6 24mm 1/40 ISO 800

A different bridge (both converted in Silver efex)

f/11 25mm 1/30 ISO 100

On our way back to our hotel, the sky gave some colour as sunset approached:

f/11 58mm 1/250 ISO 400

Last edited by itshimitis; 08-29-2012 at 12:19 PM.
08-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #2179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Love #2 Touge. Great 3D. I am just finding out what a great lens the 85/1.8G is (pity it's not smaller and made of metal)
Thanks Kevin! Yeah the 85mm is an optical bargain, you planing on getting one? Congrats on the D800 by the way

08-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #2180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Thanks Kevin! Yeah the 85mm is an optical bargain, you planing on getting one? Congrats on the D800 by the way
One of the first lenses I bought for the D800 Thanks !
08-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #2181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I like the last one Steve, great mood to it in mono

D700 85mm f/1.8

D700 85mm f/1.8

D700 50mm f/2
Thanks Simon. That shot of the stacked coins (#2) is awesome mate.
08-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #2182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Agreed, think it's got to do with the original design of the F mount back when camera bodies were small relative to the lenses. Anyway here's how I change my lens: I grab the body with my left hand and point the lens to the right, grab around the lens with my right hand with the index finger closest to the lens mount and the tip of the finger near the lens release button, depress the lens release button with the right index finger while grabbing the lens, twist lens away. Definitely not as simple as the perfect Pentax way, but practice makes good enough!
1. When changing lenses on the K-5 I usually have the camera facing me and my left hand both holds the camera and presses the release button.
2. When changing lenses on the Nikon you have to hold it so the camera is facing away from you (like it's hanging around your neck on a strap) and you still use your left hand to both hold the camera and press the release button with your thumb (preferred because all of your fingers support the body of the camera) or index finger. The lens is held in the right hand with your palm facing inwards rather than away from your body. (right thumb is nearest you and on top of the lens barrel)

After you get #2 right the hardest part is remembering to turn the lens in the opposite direction.

One would have expected that the 'natural' way to fix the lens would have been clockwise (like a screw) rather than the reverse but if you think that the camera would normally be hanging from a neck strap it's quite logical really. I still hate it though..

Last edited by bossa; 08-29-2012 at 02:33 PM.
08-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #2183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
1. When changing lenses on the K-5 I usually have the camera facing me and my left hand both holds the camera and presses the release button.
2. When changing lenses on the Nikon you have to hold it so the camera is facing away from you (like it's hanging around your neck on a strap) and you still use your left hand to both hold the camera and press the release button with your thumb (preferred because all of your fingers support the body of the camera) or index finger. The lens is held in the right hand with your palm facing inwards rather than away from your body. (right thumb is nearest you and on top of the lens barrel)

After you get #2 right the hardest part is remembering to turn the lens in the opposite direction.

One would have expected that the 'natural' way to fix the lens would have been clockwise (like a screw) rather than the reverse but if you think that the camera would normally be hanging from a neck strap it's quite logical really. I still hate it though..
1. Haha that's interesting.. When I had the Pentaxes I would hold and twist the lens with my left hand while my right ring finger simply reaches out to depress the button. That seemed like the most convenient thing to do as my right hand didn't even have to change position at all

2. Pro tip about changing Nikon lenses: Strobist: Pro Tip: How to Quick-Change an SLR lens
08-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #2184
Inactive Account

I hold nikon body with left hand, grip lens with right hand, with thumb on grip side, and all fingers on other side, press button with outside of indexfinger. LIke nr.2 in above post

... ugh... Pentax way is better way...
08-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #2185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
1. Haha that's interesting.. When I had the Pentaxes I would hold and twist the lens with my left hand while my right ring finger simply reaches out to depress the button. That seemed like the most convenient thing to do as my right hand didn't even have to change position at all

2. Pro tip about changing Nikon lenses: Strobist: Pro Tip: How to Quick-Change an SLR lens
I didn't like that method but I have just tried another way.

1. Hold the right edge of camera (Nikon) against your stomach with your left hand and the lens pointing 90 degrees to your right. Hold it with the left hand wrapped around the left edge of the camera body.
2. Push it against your abdomen and hold the lens with your right hand with the back of that hand facing out.
3. Press the release button with the index finger of your left hand and twist the lens off.

That's better than my previous advice and easier for me than the link
08-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #2186
Veteran Member

D3, 50/1.8G. Composite of two images at different focus distances

Last edited by darrenleow; 08-30-2012 at 01:32 AM.
08-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #2187
Veteran Member

I recently picked up an AF 85mm f1.8.. for the low price this lens is a killer bargain, sure I'd prefer the 1.8G, but that can be done at a later date.. in other horrible news, I knocked my camera over and it fell 2 feet landing on the 24-120 VR.. so it's been sent in for repairs and I don't think it'll be worth fixing.. time to upgrade I guess! I got to shoot with a friends brand new 24-70 f2.8 and OHH MY GOD is it nice.. I just can't afford that much on glass right yet.. (and I want wider than 24!).. But here is a shot from my 24mm work horse.. my tamron 01BB adaptall for now.
08-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #2188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I recently picked up an AF 85mm f1.8.. for the low price this lens is a killer bargain, sure I'd prefer the 1.8G, but that can be done at a later date.. in other horrible news, I knocked my camera over and it fell 2 feet landing on the 24-120 VR.. so it's been sent in for repairs and I don't think it'll be worth fixing.. time to upgrade I guess! I got to shoot with a friends brand new 24-70 f2.8 and OHH MY GOD is it nice.. I just can't afford that much on glass right yet.. (and I want wider than 24!).. But here is a shot from my 24mm work horse.. my tamron 01BB adaptall for now.
I bought a 85/1.8G when it first came out but I didn't like the focal length (don't shoot much portraits) so I traded it with a guy for a 24-70 (+$1000 from me). Such an amazing lens.. I don't think I will ever sell mine

Which 24-120 VR is this, the variable aperture one that isn't too well regarded? Good that your camera is fine after the accident though!
08-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #2189
Pentaxian

Another shot of the modern 'old' bridge:

Canon 5D mk III EF 24 - 70L at 34mm and f/11 1/125 ISO 100

08-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #2190
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had a new visitor to my local bird spot and he's tolerating me already.