Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1040 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #2791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Maybe having to have the element in there for VR takes away the practical option of designing the lens with a short MFD?
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I don't know for sure but that sounds like a reasonable assumption.
Looks like the new Nikon 70-200/4 has a crappy MFD too.

EDIT: I am wrong about this, the MFD looks good at 3.28ft. I don't know what numbers I was looking at before.

Last edited by apisto; 10-24-2012 at 03:43 PM.
10-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #2792
Veteran Member

A scene from the climb up Huangshan Mountain

10-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #2793
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Huangshan Mountain
So nice. In the US most of the pictures we get of China are those depicting overcrowded and smog covered cities. It's really nice to see landscapes of the untouched and beautiful China (of which I know there is plenty). Let's see more, Frogfish!
10-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #2794
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bossa, prehaps the new 70-200/4 lens will be better suited to you than the 2.8 version.
It has a much shortrr mfd a mag ratio of about 1:3 and lighter too so it will be easier on your back.

10-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #2795
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Bossa, prehaps the new 70-200/4 lens will be better suited to you than the 2.8 version.
It has a much shortrr mfd a mag ratio of about 1:3 and lighter too so it will be easier on your back.
Thanks Simon but I use a Black Rapid strap so my back is fine with the f/2.8 unit and have the 150 Macro for close work. I really want a 400mm but they are way heavy and too expensive. It's a bit of a downer that the Nikon telephoto range is either super expensive or relegated to super zooms.. which I am in no way interested in.

Still not sure what to do with the rest of my Pentax kit though as people want them for peanuts and I'd rather keep them than give them away. The DA*300 is an option if I decide to keep the K-5 .. any thoughts?

PS. My $53 K-5 grip finally went south yesterday. It stopped supplying power to the camera and I had to swap the battery to the internal compartment.. grip works otherwise. It might be time to trash it, although it seems to be doing a good enough job of that through regular use anyway.
10-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #2796
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Still not sure what to do with the rest of my Pentax kit though as people want them for peanuts and I'd rather keep them than give them away. The DA*300 is an option if I decide to keep the K-5 .. any thoughts?
Can you not trade them in P/X for the lens you want ? It would have been difficult for me to sell the 15/16 lenses and K5 that I had to sell to finance my Nikon kit but since they knew I was buying the D800 from them I got very reasonable prices for most (and made a profit on some !), remembering of course that the shop also has to make some sort of profit on them too. If I consider EBay fees / P&P and giving a discount on my asking price, then it was well worth it to walk into the shop with 15/16 lenses I didn't use too much, plus my older K5, then add a little cash, and walk out with a D800 and Sigma 500mm !
10-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #2797
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Can you not trade them in P/X for the lens you want ? It would have been difficult for me to sell the 15/16 lenses and K5 that I had to sell to finance my Nikon kit but since they knew I was buying the D800 from them I got very reasonable prices for most (and made a profit on some !), remembering of course that the shop also has to make some sort of profit on them too. If I consider EBay fees / P&P and giving a discount on my asking price, then it was well worth it to walk into the shop with 15/16 lenses I didn't use too much, plus my older K5, then add a little cash, and walk out with a D800 and Sigma 500mm !
Thanks for the reply Frogfish,

The Shop will sell my lenses on consignment (and ask the price I want) but will then take 15% on the sale. I don't mind that part of the deal but I don't like the part where they allow the buyer 7 days in which to return my pristine lenses.. in whatever condition. If it was a simple 'trade-in' it would be a more agreeable situation but I doubt they'd take the risk when they don't have to.

Steve

10-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #2798
Veteran Member

Dong Hai Bridge (32.5 kms long) from Xiao Yang Shan

10-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #2799

Photos: Gallery
Thanks all for such an excellent thread that I have been following for some time. I am giving into the the FF madness. Time to put my beloved Pentax gear on the chopping block. Unfortunately, the inconsistent AF in low light has been killing me with my K-5. Don't get me wrong, I love the K-5 but I am tending to miss a lot of moments when candidly shooting my kids in low light where I don't want to use a flash. I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade to a better, more advanced system and have been eye balling the Nikon D800.
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #2800
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
Thanks all for such an excellent thread that I have been following for some time. I am giving into the the FF madness. Time to put my beloved Pentax gear on the chopping block. Unfortunately, the inconsistent AF in low light has been killing me with my K-5. Don't get me wrong, I love the K-5 but I am tending to miss a lot of moments when candidly shooting my kids in low light where I don't want to use a flash. I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade to a better, more advanced system and have been eye balling the Nikon D800.
The K5-II/S is out today...why not wait for the AF reports to come out?

Another shot from my 5DII. Critique welcome as always. Do you find the OOF plants on the right distracting? I didin't notice them there until I got home 30 sec, ISO 1600, f/4.

10-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #2801

Capture one 7 is out,
first attempts to the new software, what do you think?

10-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #2802
Veteran Member

Nice and creaaaammmy bokeh, nibutto! Very nice contrast and color too.
10-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #2803
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nibutto Quote
Capture one 7 is out,

I like the IQ of the 2nd picture but the 1st has that 'sooty' look which happens when people add too much 'clarity' in LR for my taste. I'll be trying this SW momentarily as it's still downloading. Thanks for the notification.
10-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #2804
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nibutto Quote
Capture one 7 is out,

That looks great nibutto. Do you think it is worth the price to upgrade from V6?
10-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #2805
Veteran Member

Forgive my ignorance here. Is Capture One really worth having as opposed to LR/PS? Guess I should give it a shot as there is a free trial.